LHW and HW Do NOT Suck

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tl;dr: LHW and HW select for chin and power over skill

I hear this over and over on this site and others. And I respectfully have to disagree.

These divisions do not suck. Instead, they select for different kinds of fighters than the lower weigh divisions do. I believe this is due to one main thing: Chin and power are more important than skill at LHW and HW

The gap between power and chin seems to widen as one goes up the weight classes. At the lower divisions, most fighters can take a bunch of punches, since the average punch doesn't have much force to it. But at LHW and HW, even a light punch can KO someone cold. Just look at guys like Black Beast, Carwin and Ngannou, who have so much power that their opponent's skill almost doesn't matter. Instead, chin matters.

Tell me, who would do better at LHW and HW?
1. Fighter A: Skill level of 10/10, Chin of 5/10
2. Fighter B: Skill level of 5/10, Chin of 10/10

Wouldn't you bet on Fighter B to do better overall? The ability to take a punch and give a powerful one back are MUCH more important at 205 and 265 than at 185 and below. That is why even if we had every NFL and NBA player going into MMA from an early age, the ones with the best chin and power would be selected. NOT the most athletic ones or even the most skilled ones.

Just look at Curtis Blaydes. Dude is the Khabib of HW, but all it takes is on punch from Ngannou to faceplant him. Even Hunt, who has horrible TDD, almost flatlined him. There is a reason why HW has never had a Khabib or Usman. Going forward with relentless pressure at 205 and 265 is a recipe for disaster. Even Blaydes has a godly chin on him, since Ngannou wasn't actually able to fully KO him. And do I even need to talk about DC and Jones' chins? Even Stipe has a godly chin, as seen by him surviving many punches from Ngannou.

That's why a slow, plodding guy like Volkan can do well at 205. He has a great chin and can hit hard, and that's nearly all he needs. If he faces a wrestler, he truly needs one punch to end it. That's something Conor and Dustin couldn't rely on against Khabib.

Guys at 205 and 265 are essentially playing a different sport than the guys in the lower divisions. Do you really think Holloway could win using the same damage-heavy style if he was a HW? Do you really think Khabib and Usman would pressure as much if they were against someone who could KO them with a half-jab like Ngannou?

Of course there will be people with bad chins like Reem, but even he has devastating power. Guys like Weidman and Rockhold who moved up neither had the chin or the power.

I compete at 250.
It's not very good dude. But thank you for trying to make me feel better.

FACT: The world's best fighters are HWs and LHWs.

The best lhw ever relies on skill

The top elite hw's are more sophisticated than that too

I like HW and LHW, but they are not nearly as deep as other divisions.

The 20th best LW in the UFC is a very good, well rounded fighter. The 20th best HW is not.

Also using older Rockhold and Weidman who have been fighting top-ranked Middleweights since they even had double-digit fights isn't a fair comparison.
Silva and Moose both murked ranked LHW's and DC (although having a history at HW) knocked out a top 5 all time HW in his comeback fight in the first round.

The best lhw ever relies on skill

The top elite hw's are more sophisticated than that too
Jones might have the best chin in MMA. The chin he showed in the Santos fight was Hunt-level. And DC arguably has a better chin than even that.

The 20th best LW in the UFC is a very good, well rounded fighter. The 20th best HW is not.
Skill-wise, I agree. But does the 20th best HW even need to be good skill-wise? That's why I used the example of Fighter A vs. Fighter B. At HW, I'll take the much lesser skilled guy with a much better chin and power any day.

Maybe 10 years ago...

The current HW roster consists of two good fighters(Stipe and DC), some wash ups(JDS, Hunt, AA, etc), an out of shape brawler with back problems, a guy with Pleb tier wrestling creds who’s never taken formal striking lessons(Blaydes), and a windmilling Ugandan.

The LHW roster consists of Jon Jones, a bunch of wash ups, and failed MWs fighting for the title.

There’s hope for LHW but that’s contingent on how Reyes, Walker, Rakic, etc pan out.

<DisgustingHHH>

Heavy weight is looking a little better. LHW seems pretty dull atm, it will be interesting to see if jacare or Walker are the real deal there.

Jones might have the best chin in MMA. The chin he showed in the Santos fight was Hunt-level. And DC arguably has a better chin than even that.
I think you're exaggerating.

Santos wasn't blasting him with huge shots....i only saw it live so in fairness i could be remembering it wrong....but i don't remember thinking Jones was ever in huge trouble

Jon is sneaky good at defense

Skill-wise, I agree. But does the 20th best HW even need to be good skill-wise? That's why I used the example of Fighter A vs. Fighter B. At HW, I'll take the much lesser skilled guy with a much better chin and power any day.
I'd bet on the 20th best MW over the 20th best HW any day.

Then why do guys diet and cut 20-50 lbs to get away from those big guys?

Power is a part of how good a fighter is.

sure, but would you bet on the 20th MW if he was fighting the 20th HW? cuz i wouldn't even bet on Luke Rockhold even if he was fighting Tai Tuivasa.

the HW fight the other day was almost comically bad. I think LHW is on the upswing though. LHW was the shit when it had Rashad, Shogun, Forrest, Rampage, Chuck, Machida, Henderson. That being said, it is still disappointing because LHW used to be the marquee division in the UFC.

FACT: The world's best fighters are HWs and LHWs.

I think you mean they are the most dangerous and strongest. As far as technique, the lighter weight classes are better. There are a few exceptions, but yeah.

HW and LHW has always been very top heavy. People love to talk about the "golden days", but when you look a bit closer at those eras there is always a sharp drop in talent beyond the top 5-10.

/thread
Doesn't mean Jon Jones can't beat up the LW champ, but it means that the talent pool is more shallow because less people weigh 205+ pounds. Isn't that kinda obvious?

source.gif

Back