Chris Weidman was one of the best MMA wrestler of all time

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
If you were around when Chris was coming up, you'd remember how good he looked.

In MMA it's mostly double legs, but there are three guys who made their single leg takedowns work really well in the history of MMA. King Mo, DC, and Weidman.

King Mo was ranked number 1 in the world in freestyle at one point, DC is DC, and Weidman was tremendous at taking people down and make it look easy. He took everyone down.

If you ask me, Weidman in his prime was as good as it gets. He could do it all.If he competed in the MW division that Silva has competed in, he wouldn't have lost a single time either, which was the weakest division in the history of MMA.

Thing about Weidman though is, he faced a real tough competition, so not sure how much we can point to his decline as his cause, or tip your cap to his opponents. But looks like some point along the line his chin just wasn't there anymore.

It's easy to shit on Weidman when he's down and almost out, but in his prime, Weidman was more impressive than Costa, more impressive than Adensaya, but obviously not as good as Jon Jones.

You'd know this if you were around. Hard to tell from him losing over and over now. I think that borderline full retard move against Rockhold might have done him in. That kick.

Yes, on his way up Weidman looked like a world beater. He won the belt and defended three times. Not too shabby, even if a bit short of beating the world.

What part of still my boy don’t you understand?

His career took a nose dive when USADA came around. Is it coincidence? Possible, but unlikely

Only fights I remember seeing before Anderson that I wasn't impressed with was sakara and Maia ( yes I know 8 days notice)

Last edited:
Chris Weidman is one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history.

Post USADA Christ Weidman was never the same.

Forsure right under Yoel as one of MMA's greatest wrestlers

The Chris forgot he was a wrestler and not a striker

Weidman ducked Belfort until TRT was banned

Weidman beat 3 guys that were close to 40 then starting losing once he wasn't fighting declined legends

I think Weidman was very good but his career declined once drug testing started and his competition got tougher

Those are the facts

It's weird, he even used to seem like he had good power in his hands too, and was an effective striker that was hard to hit due to the takedown threat. He outstruck Silva and Machida back to back, and though he didn't KO Machida, the punches that landed looked concussive. As he improved technically he declined physically.

So was Hendricks and then USADA came along. The only great wrestler who declined WITHOUT USADA was Koscheck, he left AKA and ruined himself.

Dude's best wins are over Maia, an aging Silva, a past prime Machida & Belfort.

I mean seriously, what other names has he beat?

The reason he's regarded so highly is because he's the one who broke Silva's long streak as champion. If that hadn't happened, he would be considered just another gatekeeper.

RigidHiddenAss-size_restricted.gif
DopeyTiredHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif
source.gif

Brunson dominated Yoel wrestling and was solidly up 2 rounds on him until Yoel knocked him out.

That doesn't prove to me that Chris is a better wrestler than Yoel Romero.

Even Luke was able to take Chris down and punish him severely.

When yoel decided to wrestle Chris back he son'd him. Threw him around like a child.

Last edited:
So was Hendricks and then USADA came along. The only great wrestler who declined WITHOUT USADA was Koscheck, he left AKA and ruined himself.

Koscheck was deceptively old, he was already 27 on TUF as pretty much a raw one-dimensional wrestler just starting MMA, and his losing streak didn't start until 35 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back