Joe Lauzon non-committal on retirement after UFC on ESPN 6 win, but Dana White pushing for it

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
According to White, the plan was for Lauzon to hang up the gloves regardless of the outcome, so he was as surprised as anyone when Lauzon declined to commit to a retirement at the evening’s post-fight press conference.

“Me and Joe Lauzon had a deal that he would retire after this fight, win, lose, or draw,” White said. “And he didn’t do it.”

“What better way to go out than tonight?” White continued. “He beat a real guy tonight. He beat a tough guy that I bet a lot of people didn’t think he was gonna beat and he made it look easy.

“This is one of those things when you’re talking to a guy who loves to fight like Joe Lauzon loves to fight and the Chuck Liddells and many, many more in the past that I’ve dealt with. It’s so hard to walk away – (they say) ‘I looked great tonight,’ and then if they lose, ‘Well, I can’t go out like this. Getting beat in my hometown in front of all my…’ It’s just…you know.”

Lauzon didn’t mention whether or not he had spoken to White about retirement and kept the door open for another booking.

“It’s a great way to end it if that’s the end, for sure,” he said. “But we’ll kind of see how things go. I’m always going to be training, whether I’m cornering or helping out guys. We got a lot of guys that train at my gym now: Rob Font, Calvin Kattar, Mike Rodriguez, Peter Barrett, we’ve got a lot of guys that are always getting in for fights. So I’m in the gym with them all the time anyways.

“We’ll kind of see what happens. I’m not like, ‘This is definitely the last fight,’ but I’m also not saying I’m definitely going to do it again. Tonight was a great night, but I think too many guys kind of fall into the trap of like, they have a good fight, like ‘I’m back, here we go!’ I’m not there, but we’ll take it and we’ll see what happens. Maybe I fight in six months, maybe I fight in a year, maybe I’m done, who knows? I’m not going to commit to anything. I’ll stay in the USADA pool. I don’t mind. They come banging on my door every once in a while, no big deal. We’ll see what happens.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Also known as "dude youre too expensive because of how the pay scale works pleaseeee retire wahhhh my yaught bathroom needs gold plated floors"

if he refuses to retire, Dana might teach him a lesson...justin gaethje or barboza. you don't break a deal with Dana

Shit was vintage creepy Joe. I'm gonna watch good will hunting today now.

I mean he probably should retire but he seems realistic with what he is capable of and if he wants to fight once or twice more why not?

I agree with Dana. He should retire before he gets the shit knocked outta him again. He looked awesome last night but this is an uphill battle.

If Joe wants to fight again, let him. I don't think he's a the point yet where he needs to be "saved". Match him up with lower competition and see how it goes. Joe seems like a smart enough guy.

Wait didn’t he win?

And his record/streak aren’t atrocious.

Okay what the other guy said must be true... his veteran’s pay is too high for Dana.

Unless he’s got signs of CTE.

But he kept giving BJ Penn fights who hasn't had a victory since 2010? Dana white clown logic.

Yeah simple solution if he doesnt retire feed him to someone who is a really bad matchup & will annihilate him. That will force his hand.

& If I'm Joe & want to keep fighting I just "retire" from UFC then come back after a year & a half & resume fighting in Bellator.

It's a tough choice to retire, believe me, I know. I've been involved with vintage drag racing for two decades.

I just sold two of my Buicks and 4 engines. I've made money for years from sponsorship fees, appearance fees, and selling parts at vintage drag races. These cars have become part of my life. I've got 2 cars left, and I feel like I can keep racing.....if I wanted to.

But I think my life needs to change, I'm tired of the traveling, and the danger. I rolled a car last year and bounced one off the starting line wall earlier this year. So....in the interest of my physical and mental health, I feel like I should quit. Or maybe just hit a local event or two. Or maybe just do the car show thing. I don't know. I do know I gotta quit before I get badly injured or killed.

Racing isn't the same as fighting, but I understand where he's coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I won't stop training until I'm dead. But racing, it might get me dead real quick. So there's that.

Back