Anthony Smith on the post and pre fight shows.

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apart from the fact I get really frustrated cause there's no way of seeing the post fight shows in the UK (I still want to see Cub last week), I have of course seen quite a bit such as the pre shows have been shown and of course little clips here and there and I have to say Smith is a refreshing new addition to the panel.

He was there last night with Felder and Fitzgerald and he was there last week with Karyn Bryant and Gilbert Melendez and I've actually enjoyed his insights and inputs there as well as his interactions, he's a great addition.

He keeps it professional too, for example with Reyes last night he doesn't let his fight ego get in the way of asking questions and conversations and he listens to the fighters which is good because it's about the fighters that night.

I've time stamped this but this is just an example.

Honestly, I've found him enjoyable and would like to see him involved more in these kind of roles too.

I was wondering if you guys share the same sentiment?

I like him a lot too. Not only does he act like an actual professional (difficult for current fighters when they’re on the booth), but he speaks really well and can be quite insightful.

He's better now that he got sherdog's memo to stop wearing that purple suit.

I like him, but does Barney agree with his suit choices?

I like him a lot too. Not only does he act like an actual professional (difficult for current fighters when they’re on the booth), but he speaks really well and can be quite insightful.

He does doesn't he? :) I think he's a great addition personally and even like with Reyes there who's in the same competition he's just great.

I think he'd be good being on these kind of things more so, I wouldn't mind him on commentary either.

He does a great job tbh. Good for him, he went from a no-name gate keeper type to getting a title shot and doing commentary really quick.

This is a man who has taken control of his destiny.

He does a great job tbh. Good for him, he went from a no-name gate keeper type to getting a title shot and doing commentary really quick.

Is that like a complimentary diss lol <45>

He had a great fight with Gus last time, he's still a legit competitor but yeah, he is great in this role isn't he and we have to bare in mind he's new to it also so he's been really impressive when you think of it from that perspective too :)

I respect your opinion but mine is the exact opposite. I actually like Smith because he seems like a really nice guy, and I’d much rather listen to a humble, down-to-earth person like him than a blowhard like Chael or Bisping.

That said, Smith was obviously nervous and every time he spoke, he seemed to totally be concentrating on not messing up. I actually found Gilbert Melendez to be the same (though he’s actually gotten better).

People s*** on Felder, but I think people like him, Brian Stann and Dan Hardy are awesome because they are articulate but also are comfortable on camera and help make a show entertaining. I almost feel bad for Smith because he just seems so nervous. But Gilbert improved, maybe he will too.

Is that like a complimentary diss lol <45>

He had a great fight with Gus last time, he's still a legit competitor but yeah, he is great in this role isn't he and we have to bare in mind he's new to it also so he's been really impressive when you think of it from that perspective too :)

100% a compliment

mad respect to a dude who originally looked like he had no business being in the ufc. he’s proven to be one of the nicer & humbler guys who punch people for a living too.

I respect your opinion but mine is the exact opposite. I actually like Smith because he seems like a really nice guy, and I’d much rather listen to a humble, down-to-earth person like him than a blowhard like Chael or Bisping.

That said, Smith was obviously nervous and every time he spoke, he seemed to totally be concentrating on not messing up. I actually found Gilbert Melendez to be the same (though he’s actually gotten better).

People s*** on Felder, but I think people like him, Brian Stann and Dan Hardy are awesome because they are articulate but also are comfortable on camera and help make a show entertaining. I almost feel bad for Smith because he just seems so nervous. But Gilbert improved, maybe he will too.

Nah that's fine, it's each to their own and it's all good :)

I'm not sure, Smith has always come across like this and he doesn't really seem nervous to me, there may be a bit there (which is probably to be expected) but that just tells me that he's good at doing it despite this so the more he does it and confident he gets the better he'll be, considering he's already doing really well with it now.

I like Felder, I always have to be honest, I think the only one I've heard knocked is probably Cruz and I absolutely agree with you about Dan Hardy but as you say he has been doing it a while now so it's to be expected, I think he's awesome at those Inside The Octagon shows he does, I love his analysis and breakdowns and he always shows us something we wouldn't have really noticed in people's fight game and I think that's great.

I do feel Smith is a real good addition to the team though, he has this calm aura about him also which I think is good for the fighters and the conversations with them.

Hes legit a good guy

Reminds me of Pourier

Once you get past all the tattoos...

You seen a genuine, mature, kind, insightful person

Personally I think he’s got a big future in the field and rightfully so, I enjoy hearing him speak behind the booth

He's fine. A little too vanilla for my taste and lacking the entertainment factor.

Yves Edwards was aaawwwwful his first handful of times doing commentary in this same role, but he’s since found his footing. i’m positive any rockiness early on will iron itself out soon. it’s not an easy job for like 99% of people.

He keeps it professional too, for example with Reyes last night he doesn't let his fight ego get in the way of asking questions and conversations and he listens to the fighters which is good because it's about the fighters that night.

I've time stamped this but this is just an example.

Honestly, I've found him enjoyable and would like to see him involved more in these kind of roles too.

I was wondering if you guys share the same sentiment?

That's a great example in the vid you posted. That would be an easy place for Smith to get defensive and he didn't at all. Good back and forth between him and Reyes imo.

Personally I think he’s got a big future in the field and rightfully so, I enjoy hearing him speak behind the booth

I agree, I hope we get to see him more often in the role and he seems to be enjoying it too :)

Yves Edwards was aaawwwwful his first handful of times doing commentary in this same role, but he’s since found his footing. i’m positive any rockiness early on will iron itself out soon. it’s not an easy job for like 99% of people.

Yeah and Smith has been really great hasn't he on his first couple of times so he's clearly a great addition to the team :)

That's a great example in the vid you posted. That would be an easy place for Smith to get defensive and he didn't at all. Good back and forth between him and Reyes imo.

Yeah 100% and this is exactly what I mean about leaving that fight ego at the door which he did, he's very balanced as there was something recently I saw where he was asked about a fight because he was there and came into conversation but again he kept it nicely balanced like this and that's what we need :)

Back