Greg Hardy Claims Commission Gave Inhaler Approval... Plans to Appeal NC

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Greg Hardy’s win at UFC on ESPN 6 has been overturned to a no contest after he used an inhaler between the second and third rounds during his fight against Ben Sosoli, the promotion announced on Friday night. Unless pre-approved by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission, the use of an inhaler is illegal.

At the post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White said Hardy’s corner and coach Din Thomas told him a ringside inspector gave Hardy the OK when he asked to use the medicine between rounds.

“I think if you watch it, you can understand how it happened,” White said. “I don’t even know what to say.”

Hardy also claimed the commission gave him explicit permission. But the UFC immediately disputed that and announced the overturning of his unanimous decision win over Sosoli. A request for comment with the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission was not immediately returned.

“I was in the ring, (and) me and my coach asked the commission if it would be OK to use my inhaler and they said yes, so I took it,” Hardy said afterwards. “I’m still new guy in this sport. I did what I do in every situation – I asked permission, I got permission and I did what I was told.”

As soon as Hardy was seen using the inhaler between rounds, Marc Ratner, the UFC’s vice president of regulatory affairs, gave his opinion on the situation during the broadcast.

“Completely illegal. It’s against all the rules,” Ratner said.

The MSAC follows the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of prohibited substances. Inhalers that contain beta-2 agonists are prohibited at all times. However, inhalers containing albuterol, also called salbutamol, are allowed under certain conditions: At a maximum of 1600 micrograms over 24 hours in divided doses, and not to exceed 800 micrograms over 12 hours starting from any dose. USADA’s website states, “You could take (eight) puffs of the albuterol inhaler in a 12-hour period without incurring an anti-doping rule violation.”

Hardy’s manager Abraham Kawa confirmed to MMA Fighting that they plan to appeal any action taken by the MSAC.

For his part, UFC president Dana White was confused by the whole situation, but ultimately felt like Hardy’s corner let him down.

“First of all, Din Thomas, come on Din, you’ve been in this game forever,” he said. “His corner, they’ve got to know you can’t use an inhaler in the corner. They should know that. Shouldn’t even be a question.”

Thomas did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10...r-illegal-use-of-inhaler-team-plans-to-appeal

Last edited:
Yeah approval as in not a banned substance, not I'm fucking tired gimme medicine in between rounds.

Good - he should, if they oked it that's on them. Know yer own fekkin rules...

Asking “the commission” during the fight is not how it works. Even if true, what that means is they shouted a question at some random guy wearing a Massachusetts commission shirt who nodded back at them probably not even knowing wtf was going on. If they wanted to do this they needed to formally apply ahead of time, but obviously that had 0% chance of ever being approved.

I have the impression his teammate was pulling a fast one and displayed cte symptoms and lied about it.

Well they do ask Mark Ratface questions all the time and he has been so oafish and wrong regularly...

Athletic commissions are bureaucratic bullshit and don't even know their own procedures half the time

Asking “the commission” during the fight is not how it works. Even if true, what that means is they shouted a question at some random guy wearing a Massachusetts commission shirt who nodded back at them probably not even knowing wtf was going on. If they wanted to do this they needed to formally apply ahead of time, but obviously that had 0% chance of ever being approved.
This, to even think of an appeal they should have something on paper, lol, no idea who would brought that thing to the corner in the first place.

Feed this bum to Lewis and be done with it already.

The commission gave him permission.

They should be punished, not Hardy.

This, to even think of an appeal they should have something on paper, lol, no idea who would brought that thing to the corner in the first place.
Exactly. How has nothing like this happened to him before? Or them realising it in training? BS!

Most likely he just asked a random guy who nodded after Hardy yelled "USADA approved!"

- Are baseball bats illegal in Boston?
- Hmm, no...
- Good! Thank you!
- ???

I have it on good authority that that inhaler had steroid juice in it. Greg was vaping testosterone. Wait and see when he fails the usada test.

giphy.gif

Greg Hardy’s win at UFC on ESPN 6 has been overturned to a no contest after he used an inhaler between the second and third rounds during his fight against Ben Sosoli, the promotion announced on Friday night. Unless pre-approved by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission, the use of an inhaler is illegal.

At the post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White said Hardy’s corner and coach Din Thomas told him a ringside inspector gave Hardy the OK when he asked to use the medicine between rounds.

“I think if you watch it, you can understand how it happened,” White said. “I don’t even know what to say.”

Hardy also claimed the commission gave him explicit permission. But the UFC immediately disputed that and announced the overturning of his unanimous decision win over Sosoli. A request for comment with the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission was not immediately returned.

“I was in the ring, (and) me and my coach asked the commission if it would be OK to use my inhaler and they said yes, so I took it,” Hardy said afterwards. “I’m still new guy in this sport. I did what I do in every situation – I asked permission, I got permission and I did what I was told.”

As soon as Hardy was seen using the inhaler between rounds, Marc Ratner, the UFC’s vice president of regulatory affairs, gave his opinion on the situation during the broadcast.

“Completely illegal. It’s against all the rules,” Ratner said.

The MSAC follows the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of prohibited substances. Inhalers that contain beta-2 agonists are prohibited at all times. However, inhalers containing albuterol, also called salbutamol, are allowed under certain conditions: At a maximum of 1600 micrograms over 24 hours in divided doses, and not to exceed 800 micrograms over 12 hours starting from any dose. USADA’s website states, “You could take (eight) puffs of the albuterol inhaler in a 12-hour period without incurring an anti-doping rule violation.”

Hardy’s manager Abraham Kawa confirmed to MMA Fighting that they plan to appeal any action taken by the MSAC.

For his part, UFC president Dana White was confused by the whole situation, but ultimately felt like Hardy’s corner let him down.

“First of all, Din Thomas, come on Din, you’ve been in this game forever,” he said. “His corner, they’ve got to know you can’t use an inhaler in the corner. They should know that. Shouldn’t even be a question.”

Thomas did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10...r-illegal-use-of-inhaler-team-plans-to-appeal
Bush league sport, everyone is at fault: Hardy, his cornermen, the "commission" guy. I genuinely feel bad about Hardy, though. Guy seems like a dumbfuck who genuinely wants to change for the better, but keeps fucking up.

Back