Fights that ruined both guys careers

wilKO

Green, White & Gold belt
@Steel
Reaction score
There have been some fights between 2 fighters in their absolute prime. And afterwards neither guy is the same.

JDS vs Cain (trilogy)
The 2 best HW prospects since the Pride days. 2 all time greats, both almost undefeated and in their primes. After they fought each other both of their careers fell apart.

Cain before JDS trilogy: 9-0
Cain after JDS trilogy: 3-2 (both losses by finish) cain has now retired

JDS before Cain trilogy: 13-1
JDS after Cain trilogy: 8-5 (all 5 losses brutal).

Weidman vs Rockhold
The 2 top MWs. Weidman was undefeated and Rockhold was on a tear. Afterwards both guys have turned to compete crap.

Weidman before Rockhold fight: 13-0
Weidman after Rockhold fight: 1-4 (all losses by KO)

Rockhold before Weidman fight: 14-2
Rockhold after Weidman fight: 1-3 (all losses by KO) considering retirement.

In both examples the fighters were considered p4p top 10s and champions. Any other examples of fights that have ruined both guys careers?

This is an interesting topic. The first 2 fighters that jump to mind is Whittker and Romero, but I'm not convinced Joel is ruined after his spirited fight against Costa. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd be supised if Rob ever looks close to the calibre he was in the Romero fights.

Came to say Chris and Luke

That fight ruined them both

This is an interesting topic. The first 2 fighters that jump to mind is Whittker and Romero, but I'm not convinced Joel is ruined after his spirited fight against Costa. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd be supised if Rob ever looks close to the calibre he was in the Romero fights.

Good shout. Plus both of their fights against each other were brutal. Romero is old so he should fall apart very soon.

Ronda - Holly.
Even though it doesnt make sense lol.

Good shout. Plus both of their fights against each other were brutal. Romero is old so he should fall apart very soon.

Cheers WilKO.

A weird side note about Yoel falling apart - I don't get how he manages to fight so well at his age. His brother, Juan Pablo Hernandez (highly decorated amateur Olympic boxer and pro world champion) had a terrible run with injuries and retired relatively young. It's not like Joel has God genetics in his family, but he still looks and fights like a prime 30 year old.

20160102100139_GettyImages503213380.JPG

Obligatory Frye vs Takayama gif
Don-Frye-Vs.-Yoshihiro-Takayama.gif

Diaz vs Conor II

Conor won only one fight after that and Diaz became primadona who doesn figjt at all.

Romero falls, yeah right....
He has those superhuman "genetics", so no fear of that to happen<{hughesimpress}>

Cain jds

And all of the people who beat Conor

weidman silva too

Aldo vs Mendes II

Both men took MAJOR damage in one of the greatest fights in UFC history, cracking the fuck out of each other's chins in the process

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back