GSP-Khabib is a fight the UFC desperately need

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GSP is a horrible stylistic match-up for Khabib. The world NEEDS to see this fight. Fuck it if he's 40.

Make it happen Dana. This is what they pay you for.

GSP is gonna smash him.

Desperately?

giphy.gif

I have to disagree. The UFC gains very little if GSP wins, lightweight will be held up like middleweight was after GSP won the belt and retired.

This is a great matchup for the fans but I don't see it selling that well.
Khabib shot down the proposal to have the fight at welterweight or catchweight, sounds like he wants Georges to have a brutal weight cut on top of being almost 40. This is just a case of two great fighters whose timelines didn't match up.

GSP is a horrible stylistic match-up for Khabib. The world NEEDS to see this fight. Fuck it if he's 40.

GSP is gonna smash him.

i cant understand sherdog mentals. can you just enjoy the sport? why do you hate khabib ?

I have to disagree. The UFC gains very little if GSP wins, lightweight will be held up like middleweight was after GSP won the belt and retired.

Khabib shot down the proposal to have the fight at welterweight or catchweight, sounds like he wants Georges to have a brutal weight cut on top of being almost 40. This is just a case of two great fighters whose timelines didn't match up.

It could be an anti-climatic fight going to the scorecards but we sure want to see how Khabib faces true adversity. GSP did have some wrestling struggles with Bisping though and even though he's twice Khabibs size, he's no grappler. That's in favor of Khabib. Overall GSP should nonetheless win

Also: too late if we don't do it now. After the fight things can go back to normal. It's a different story if GSP was 25

Nice if Khabib faces someone who actually stands a chance, and I favor GSP here.

After seeing Khabib swimming against a river stream in some god forsaken Russian territory, i doubt GSP can beat him.

<GinJuice>

If the fight ever happens, GSP will be like 40 years old. It's too fucking late people.

GSP is gonna smash him.

I agree it would be a huge fight, and Georges likely gets the win. But I don’t think it’s good for the UFC. Don’t get me wrong it would be a huge event and likely do great numbers, but I think the risks outweigh that.

Khabib is a wildly popular (and rising) dominant champ. He can help bring new eyes and markets to the ufc. Best case (for ufc) is he smeshes his way to victory. But what if GSP wins? Odds of him defending seem slim and that could throw the division into turmoil like his winning the MW strap.

The overwhelming reason I disagree though... if this fight happens before Khabib v Tony we all get screwed and this is all #1 Bullshit.

Let Khabib and Tony happen, and let the winner chase that GSP Fur Panty Night!

I'd say let them go for it anyways.

It could be the last time we'd ever see GSP fight but also potentially the last time we ever see Khabib fight.

Khabib's been stating constantly that he has about two or three fights left in him before he retires so it's probably the toughest fight for Khabib right now, but if GSP beats him I don't see him doing much more in the UFC, and if GSP wins I also don't see him sticking around either.

Desperately?

giphy.gif

Well, Steve, let me explain it to you. Because both men want the fight. Two fighters who are vying to go down as the greatest to ever do it. One who took on title contender after title contender, one after the next and completely dominated his division for about 3 eras worth of fighters. He retired as champ, came back, and won a title at a higher weight class. He is getting a bit older and physically past his prime, yet still close enough to it as to not be ruled out as being physically unable to win this potential fight. He may also be at his mental peak, arguably. The other is currently in his prime and has stated he doesn't plan on fighting much longer. He is undefeated and he smeshes fools. They are both extremely dominant grapplers. So that is why this is a rare opportunity, and why this fight should desperately be pursued. They are also both humble humans and great representatives of martial arts and of mixed martial arts. It is great for the sport to showcase these types of fighters.

I hope it gets made, but not until tony gets his shot first.

GSP wins this IMO. Then UFC is stock with a guy who got beat by a guy coming back from retirement.

damn I really want to see GSP fight Khabib.. but Tony deserves that fight.

for the credibility of the sport (which is already in the dumps) Tony should fight Khabib.

Well, Steve, let me explain it to you. Because both men want the fight. Two fighters who are vying to go down as the greatest to ever do it. One who took on title contender after title contender, one after the next and completely dominated his division for about 3 eras worth of fighters. He retired as champ, came back, and won a title at a higher weight class. He is getting a bit older and physically past his prime, yet still close enough to it as to not be ruled out as being physically unable to win this potential fight. He may also be at his mental peak, arguably. The other is currently in his prime and has stated he doesn't plan on fighting much longer. He is undefeated and he smeshes fools. They are both extremely dominant grapplers. So that is why this is a rare opportunity, and why this fight should desperately be pursued. They are also both humble humans and great representatives of martial arts and of mixed martial arts. It is great for the sport to showcase these types of fighters.

Sold but only after Tony.

If GSP beats Khabib, what does it say about the current crop of LWs? No-one can beat Khabib except a 40 year old, semi-retired fighter, albeit, the GOAT? I can't see Dana allowing this fight to happen.

Back