News Luke Rockhold strongly considering retirement: ‘I have no interest in fighting right now’

Should Luke Rockhold retire in your opinion?

• Total voters

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to see him fight Anthony Smith, not because it would do anything for Smith or does it make sense with the rankings but if you know the history between Smith and Rockhold when Smith got riled up about him at the press conference (something Smith never does) then you'll know why this fight would have been great to happen.

Of course as he's considering it now if he was to take a fight he wouldn't want to go out on a loss.

However ....

------------

Just a few years ago, Luke Rockhold was considered one of the brightest prospects in all of MMA, with the potential to lord over the middle weight division for year to come. Now, almost impossibly, it appears the former middleweight champion is strongly considering calling it a career.

Speaking with ESPN’s Ariel Helwani recently, Rockhold said he currently has no designs on fighting again.

“I have no interest in fighting right now,” Rockhold said.

It’s easy to see why Rockhold feels that way. After losing his middleweight title when Michael Bisping knocked him out in 2016, Rockhold rebounded with a comeback win over David Branch. He then was knocked out yet again, this time by Yoel Romero in an interim title bid. Following that loss, Rockhold spent the better part of a year battling a shin injury which required multiple surgeries. He finally made his return to the cage in July, jumping up to the light heavyweight division with designs on reinvigorating his career. Instead, he once again fell prey to a left hook, getting knocked out by Jan Blachowicz at UFC 239. That loss prompted UFC President Dana White to encourage Rockhold to retire from the sport and evidently, Rockhold feels the same way. Though he says he’s not ready to make a formal announcement because he doesn’t like “closing doors,” when asked if he it was possible he’d never fight again, Rockhold was clear.

“Very [possible].”

Should this be the end of Rockhold’s career, he retires with an excellent resume. Though his recent rough run brings it down some, Rockhold has a career record of 16-5 and is the only man to have held both Strikeforce and UFC titles.

----------

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10...ment-i-have-no-interest-in-fighting-right-now

giphy.gif

Yeah, he doesn't need anymore of this. Glad he has enough brain cells left to realize that. 34920.jpeg

He can't seem to take a shot anymore, I'd suggest a decent layoff but if he's already saying he doesn't have any interest then one foot is already out the door. Best to call it a career before he gets seriously hurt.

Do people really buy expensive clothing because they see luke Rockhard modelling them?

He lost the love as soon as people started giving him dollar for modeling. Fair play to him.

Time to retire.

Polls not needed- Frankilin U. already gave gurantee we wont see Luke in cage again immediately after last fight.

He became a UFC champion, had a good career, but clearly not the fighter he once was, and has fallback options outside of MMA. Probably best to move on. Too many more beatings and broken jaws and he ain't gonna be modeling no more.

He makes a fuck ton as a model. Why continue to cause himself brain damage and broken jaws?

Luke had a decent run, and that run wound up landing him another lucrative career. Good for him.

It’s his arrogance that put him in this position. Bisping stole his soul.

Voted for him to get his win back because he always gets KO'd spectacularly and tbh I'm gonna miss that.

He can't seem to take a shot anymore, I'd suggest a decent layoff but if he's already saying he doesn't have any interest then one foot is already out the door. Best to call it a career before he gets seriously hurt.
He can't take a shot because his striking defense is just awful. It's even worse than Weidman's.

The two of them have spent their careers using either dodge strategies based upon their height/reach advantage (mostly Rockhold) or just using their chin as a shield (mostly Weidman). Consequently their striking defense has actually gotten worse as their careers have progressed. You almost never see that.

Weidman used to have a chin made of steel. When you're given that, you should guard it. Instead he led off with it. Can't really say that Weidman's is gone, we'll know tonight, but the Jacare fight makes me worried for him.

As far as Luke goes he should retire because the dude can make a killing in the model industry and he doesn't have to do a damn thing except stand there and look good. That and his chin is still screaming through the cosmos after that bomb Jan landed on him.

He makes a fuck ton as a model. Why continue to cause himself brain damage and broken jaws?

Luke had a decent run, and that run wound up landing him another lucrative career. Good for him.
How much does he make though? It can't be that much or why would he risk getting his face caved in. I genuinly hope it is crazy money just I doubt it.

He should definitely sum it up. And we should sum up fighting: its only cool if you are kicking someone's ass, if you get your ass kicked its instantly super uncool.

Voted for him to get his win back because he always gets KO'd spectacularly and tbh I'm gonna miss that.

That's the thing ain't it, if he retires now he retires on the losing streak, he's only lost his last two to be fair but it would be good for him to get a win and then retire at least.

But of course he might lose again so that's the catch 22.

Are we sure he makes a ton modeling? One of the biggest myths going is that models make tons of money. The very, very top names in the business do, but that’s about it. Rockhold obviously has the MMA notoriety, but I’m not sure how much that translates to his pay.

Anyone know for sure?

if I had the looks, the money and a huge hog, I wouldn't be fighting either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back