Is Conor's supreme confidence gone?

Leopoldos

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Once upon a time, Conor was obsessed with achieving combat greatness.

His dedication to his craft made him supremely confident in his abilities.

With his diluted focus in the last few years, it seems unlikely that he will achieve the same level of greatness.

As such, is it fair to assume that Conor has also lost his confidence?

The callout of Frankie Edgar only makes sense if he no longer thinks he can beat the best.

Or has he simply realised that he needs tune up fights before taking on the best?

Trying to relive his glory days of dominating people he had 5 inches of height and 8 inches of reach advantage over.

Khabib was too much.

Compare..

McGregor-eyes.gif

source.gif

Lost his confidence? I think he's too cocky for that.
But he always made it clear that he wanted to make as much money as fast as possible. Now that he has, I think he lost his motivation to train his ass off.

Compare..

McGregor-eyes.gif

source.gif

Wouldn't you have more confidence as a counterstriker against a striker/brawler like Eddie Alvarez compared to an undefeated russian grappling machine?
No disrespect to Eddie, but he's exactly the kind of fighter Conor always did well against and vice versa with Khabib and Conor knew it.

With his diluted focus in the last few years, it seems unlikely that he will achieve the same level of greatness.

The callout of Frankie Edgar only makes sense if he no longer thinks he can beat the best.

Or has he simply realised that he needs tune up fights before taking on the best?

source.gif
Kinda, sorta, feels like you crying that he not the same..?

One of his more famous quotes were: "get in, get rich, get out".

If anything, it seems to me that he stays true to his old self and way of thinking.

It is, hence the retirement since October of last year.

Compare..

McGregor-eyes.gif

source.gif

He was scared shitless vs Khabib. His fanboys will tell you that he was actually simply ignoring Khabib like he was a scrub, and that he lost because he didnt take him seriously enough/balloon foot/see Conrads book of excuses.

Probably lost his hunger more than anything

Conor of old would dive right in there with Justin or Dustin

He isn't the same guy anymore

I suppose being mega rich and not winning a fight in years will take it's toll

As much as I hate the guy, if he were to ever climb back and recapture his top form, I would give him his respect!

I honestly think he's done

it's ok to look good/feel good in training, but performing is different!

It's hard for a fighter, or any athlete to climb back, when they begin to slip!

Fighters are always the last to know they are done due to ego

Look at Anderson Silva for instance

Or Roy Jones and Ricky Hatton in boxing?

Conor will get beat up bad soon and I predict a knockout, if he goes up against a dangerous puncher

In this game they can only hide you for so long. Eventually the rubber meets the road. Conor was a good fighter, he was great against the guys he had built in advantages against. But he wasn't on the level of the top guys in his natural weight class. It's not that his confidence is gone. It's the myth that he is elite is gone.

His confidence was fabricated and went hand in hand with the management giving him favors.
Im sure hes still a loudmouth but hes got to know in his heart hes barely a top 5 guy if he were to fight regularly.

he obviously doesn't have the same motivation as he once did...and he's too busy trying to find that perfect opponent...meanwhile, time is going by and he's still not fighting...

His confidence is only enough for old men and young women who say no

It was always a pathetic try-hard act

he obviously doesn't have the same motivation as he once did...and he's too busy trying to find that perfect opponent...meanwhile, time is going by and he's still not fighting...
When he was coming up the UFC cherry picked the easiest matchups for him. Doesnt seem like theyre trying to help his brand in any way anymore.

One of his more famous quotes were: "get in, get rich, get out".

If anything, it seems to me that he stays true to his old self and way of thinking.
If that is the case I think he would haven't fought Khabib, he should have stayed retired after Floyd

He was never the same after the Mayweather fight.

It was always a pathetic try-hard act
Nah, that's Colby.

With Conor it was different, it was real every time except the last one. The only time it was fake was against Khabib. I could tell watching the press conference that he was shit scared.

Back