Take Out The Trash Talk, Says Miesha Tate

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Short-Sighted UFC Loves Drama Queens

“When you build an icon that is based off how well they trash talk, and if they’re winning or losing, then as soon as they lose, their trash talk is no longer valuable. The star power diminishes pretty rapidly.

“When you build your audience to expect you to only win, it’s not realistic in martial arts. You’re never going to win every fight.

“We don’t market off of a quick-sell. It’s not about the rivalries or the immediate drama. It’s about building local heroes that have global potential. They can entertain globally but they’re supported locally, by their country. There’s something really valuable about that.

“When you build somebody who is a hero to children, to people, inspiring them to be better, then it really doesn’t matter if they win or lose. People are going to rally behind them harder when they lose. They’re going to say ‘That’s my hero, they’re going to come back stronger. I don’t care they lost. I’m still going to stand by them because I love that person and what they stand for.’

“The longevity of that, the long-term picture, the strong fanbase that actually care about the martial arts and care about the fighters — I think in the long run it’s a much more effective way to market [than drama].”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exc...h-talk-can-be-counterproductive-for-fighters/

Yeah and then you find out your hero( or heroine) is actually a shallow cheating sloot or a 1 step removed from a junkie...

Whatever works best for said person is what should be done.

Not everyone needs to be a Conor and most can't pull it off even if they try. Not everyone needs to be a GSP or a MM because shit talk can add excitement

I lyk honur ND respect ND marshall artz

122_ronda_rousey_vs_miesha_tate_gallery_post.0.jpg

Short-Sighted UFC Loves Drama Queens

“When you build an icon that is based off how well they trash talk, and if they’re winning or losing, then as soon as they lose, their trash talk is no longer valuable. The star power diminishes pretty rapidly.

“When you build your audience to expect you to only win, it’s not realistic in martial arts. You’re never going to win every fight.

“We don’t market off of a quick-sell. It’s not about the rivalries or the immediate drama. It’s about building local heroes that have global potential. They can entertain globally but they’re supported locally, by their country. There’s something really valuable about that.

“When you build somebody who is a hero to children, to people, inspiring them to be better, then it really doesn’t matter if they win or lose. People are going to rally behind them harder when they lose. They’re going to say ‘That’s my hero, they’re going to come back stronger. I don’t care they lost. I’m still going to stand by them because I love that person and what they stand for.’

“The longevity of that, the long-term picture, the strong fanbase that actually care about the martial arts and care about the fighters — I think in the long run it’s a much more effective way to market [than drama].”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exc...h-talk-can-be-counterproductive-for-fighters/

She's not wrong here.

Having said that. I would still f*ck her *ss. With my tongue.

Who cares what this soccer mom has to say?

It's clearly not true though. There's a reason Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago etc. talked. There's a reason why pro wrestling is built off of feuds. There's a reason movies have protagonists and antagonists.

People are drawn to drama. Be it being interested in TMZ, checking out the recent scathing dig from Taylor Swift or something, or being interested in two people getting into each other's face before a fight.

That's always been interesting to humans. The more genuine the better, but even if it's forced it still creates drama and friction.

Having the moral high ground while financially profiting from the work of those hated characters that do promotion work and put asses on the seats must feel nice.

Take off Meisha Tate the list of opinions that matter.

Meisha take off your clothes and stop talking

Take off the trash talk but take in fake boobs.
Sounds legit.

That's why Ronda Rousey made millions in UFC and WWE and Miesha's doing a podcast that no one has ever actually listened to. But why would you listen to her when all you're interested in is her nudes anyway, right?

So she’s trash talking trash talk...? Got it
{<jordan}

That's why Ronda Rousey made millions in UFC and WWE and Miesha's doing a podcast that no one has ever actually listened to.

Your example isn't great. Sure, Ronda is that level of superstar. But you could say "Proof that talking trash doesn't help is that Shayna Baszler is currently one of the top WWE workers while Angela Magana is probably flipping burgers".

Ronda was a big deal long before people even listened to her angry rants.

Whatever works best for said person is what should be done.

Not everyone needs to be a Conor and most can't pull it off even if they try. Not everyone needs to be a GSP or a MM because shit talk can add excitement

Yep. Trash talk has been part of sports since at least Muhammad Ali (1960s) and he picked up some of his shtick from pro wrestlers. Of course there's trash talk in the NFL, NBA, etc. as well; it's not just MMA and boxing. I prefer more respectful, stoic athletes, but I don't see trash talking going away.

Back