Kevin Randleman Vs Bas Rutten

wrestlefan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Has there ever been a bigger robbery in the UFC? Rutten was put on his back and smashed for half an hour, yet somehow took home a decision.

Also Dan Miragliotta was a judge in this fight, fuck him.

Bottom control had him right where he wanted him the whole fight.

There were different rules back then. Sure, Randleman had him on his back 90% of the fight but Bas did some serious damage from the bottom, Kevin's blond dyed hair turned red. I wouldn't call it one-sided.

Randleman did fuck all while Bas landed some bombs from the bottom. The judges did a service giving the fight to Bas considering he was the only one trying to win.

It's a matter of opinion I believe, but I too felt Randleman comfortably won that fight. The idea is that Rutten did more damage from his back -- I don't happen to agree but I understand the argument. I felt that the positional control was more significant and furthermore feel that the shots landed from Rutten's back were overrated and not meaningful/clean offense that should have garnered much on the scorecards.

RIP Kevin Randleman. Poor guy was molested when he was younger yet he still emitted a remarkable and positive energy.

He was considerably kind - randomers would post on his Facebook and he’d take the time out to call them from his landline - calls lasting up to hours because they would tell Kevin their personal issues and difficulties.

I personally messaged him on Facebook asking him about the latest film he had watched and he responded in detail ! I replied “ Kevin Randleman responding to my message - he has made my week”. He then liked my post. I’ll never forget that.

Rest In Peace, Monster. We all feel your absence.

Kevin did a lay n pray while Bas never stopped hitting him.

Just because you are on top doesn't mean you are winning..

Richard thanx for sharing your thoughts. I was a ring doctor back in those UFC 3, 5, so way back when Keith Hakney lost to Marco Ruas. My brother and I spent few with Kevin and Mark Coleman, although I was a Div I wrestler years before, I was a bit scared to wrestle with these guys, they literally were monsters. We went to a sports bar and it was great memory.

Richard thanx for sharing your thoughts. I was a ring doctor back in those UFC 3, 5, so way back when Keith Hakney lost to Marco Ruas. My brother and I spent few with Kevin and Mark Coleman, although I was a Div I wrestler years before, I was a bit scared to wrestle with these guys, they literally were monsters. We went to a sports bar and it was great memory.
thanks for the response. Do you have any interesting stories about hammerhouse or anyone else for that matter that you could share ?

I felt like Randleman deserved the win more. He had multiple takedowns, top control, and he did a lot of damage in first 6-7 minutes, he really smashed Routen's face. At the last part of the fight when Kevin got tired Rutten was more active with short punches from the bottom that were not really threatening, and had in fact quite a low power. Bas cutt and bloodied Randelman's scalp on the top of the head with short elbows, and that was the most significant thing he did, plenty of blood, but not really dangerous.

Any good backstage stories from those days? There were definitely some characters back then (Tank, Harold Howard, Goodridge, Varelens, etc.)

RIP Kevin Randleman. Poor guy was molested when he was younger yet he still emitted a remarkable and positive energy.

He was considerably kind - randomers would post on his Facebook and he’d take the time out to call them from his landline - calls lasting up to hours because they would tell Kevin their personal issues and difficulties.

I personally messaged him on Facebook asking him about the latest film he had watched and he responded in detail ! I replied “ Kevin Randleman responding to my message - he has made my week”. He then liked my post. I’ll never forget that.

Rest In Peace, Monster. We all feel your absence.
That’s fucking awesome .

That’s fucking awesome .
Agreed. He related all of this on a video that was on YouTube but It doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

He said how his wife was upset with him once for running up a phone bill as he was calling up some guy in India for hours on end trying to console him. It was crazy how down to earth he was.

Has there ever been a bigger robbery in the UFC? Rutten was put on his back and smashed for half an hour, yet somehow took home a decision.
Randle dominated till the 1st stand-up (cut), with legit damage via GNP...

Problem is that each time BJM would stop the action to check the cut, the fighters wouldnt go back to the ground...

Then, each time Randle would get the TD (4 times after the inital one), he would bury his head in Rutten´s chest, without posturing up or trying to pass guard (IIRC he only got once the side control)...

Only Ground Control, lil damage done, while Bas would score points with solid elbows and short punches...

It´s normally in Pride that Bas would have gotten the win...
Here, they gave him the decision, which represents an anomaly in the UFC Fight Configuration, but Randle did so little after the 1st stand-up, except getting the TDs...

Besides, more than Rutten´s short punches, it´s his elbows after the 2nd stand-up (between the 1st and the 2nd one: lil action on the ground) that need to be considered.

Overall, it was basically a remake of Marco Huas vs Pinduka [1984]....draw, but same controversy....

Speaking of Kevin Randleman Vs Bas Rutten, they should put that fight on the UFC's Youtube page like they have some of the other older fights like Shamrock vs Severn etc.

Back