Chris Weidman: I'm a bad matchup for Jon Jones

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“One of the reasons I’m definitely excited to go (to light heavyweight) is there’s a guy there who people think can’t be beat and who people consider to be one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest of all time,” Weidman told reporters, including MMA Junkie, on Wednesday at UFC on ESPN 6 media day. “That’s what really excited me at middleweight. So to have the opportunity to not just shock the world once, but also twice in my career, and beat two of the guys that people think are the GOATs, that’s the sort of legacy I think I would want to leave behind.”

“At the time Anderson Silva had such a mystique and an aura about him that was actually greater than Jon Jones,” Weidman said. “He was dominating everybody, putting his hands down, playing with them. Jon Jones isn’t doing that. He had two tough fights in his last two outings against guys who were middleweights. Two tough guys, but he didn’t look unbeatable in those fights. Anderson Silva, he had the invincibility feel to him when I fought him.

“As far as skillset, it’s a very interesting puzzle. I think (Jones is) more of an interesting puzzle as far as skillset, but maybe not as much of a puzzle when it comes to mindset and keeping mental focus and not letting the moment get to you and all that.”

“Given my credentials at middleweight being a multiple-time world champion and then coming up in weight going against a guy who is undefeated at light heavyweight, ranked No. 4 (in the UFC rankings). If I go out there and make a statement and dominate him (I can get the shot). … If you look at the skill sets and put them on paper then I think I am a bad matchup for him if there is any for Jon Jones.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Nope. And I hate Jones

I think Weidman will have more success at LHW. The weight cut since banning IV's has been terrible for him. Jones has looked average at best in his last few fights to.

I really wanna see Jones get beat, but its not gonna be by the Chris.

I wish he would take notice of what happened to his erstwhile rival Luke Rockhold when he looked past his first LHW opponent dreaming of Jon Jones.

The Chris is a mad man. Bless his heart he is never seeking an easy fight.

Every single fighter he’s faced since 2012 has been at least a top 10 contender.

- Jacare Souza
- Kelvin Gastelum
- Gegard Mousasi
- Yoel Romero
- Luke Rockhold
- Vitor Belfort
- Lyoto Machida
- Anderson Silva x 2
- Mark Munoz
- Demian Maia

Rather than take a tune up fight, he is moving up to 205 and taking on a hungry contender in Reyes, and he is seeking a fight at Jones.

Weidman might not be the best, but he has always wanted to fight the best competition.

Having said that, for his health I hope he doesn’t fight Jones, we don’t need to see The Chris get beat into an Actual Living Dieded.

“One of the reasons I’m definitely excited to go (to light heavyweight) is there’s a guy there who people think can’t be beat and who people consider to be one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest of all time,” Weidman told reporters, including MMA Junkie, on Wednesday at UFC on ESPN 6 media day. “That’s what really excited me at middleweight. So to have the opportunity to not just shock the world once, but also twice in my career, and beat two of the guys that people think are the GOATs, that’s the sort of legacy I think I would want to leave behind.”

“At the time Anderson Silva had such a mystique and an aura about him that was actually greater than Jon Jones,” Weidman said. “He was dominating everybody, putting his hands down, playing with them. Jon Jones isn’t doing that. He had two tough fights in his last two outings against guys who were middleweights. Two tough guys, but he didn’t look unbeatable in those fights. Anderson Silva, he had the invincibility feel to him when I fought him.

“As far as skillset, it’s a very interesting puzzle. I think (Jones is) more of an interesting puzzle as far as skillset, but maybe not as much of a puzzle when it comes to mindset and keeping mental focus and not letting the moment get to you and all that.”

“Given my credentials at middleweight being a multiple-time world champion and then coming up in weight going against a guy who is undefeated at light heavyweight, ranked No. 4 (in the UFC rankings). If I go out there and make a statement and dominate him (I can get the shot). … If you look at the skill sets and put them on paper then I think I am a bad matchup for him if there is any for Jon Jones.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/chris-weidman-ufc-on-espn-6-jon-jones-anderson-silva-comparison-mystique/amp?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5da826af594d1700014c877d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
You were a bad matchup for izzy. Not for any of the lhw. Sorry chris but you shoulds stayed in mw.

The Chris will shock the MMA world for the third time!

Nahhh Chris youre one of the easiest matchups for Bones

Rockhold said the same before his last fight.
Brutal KO by Reyes confirmed. Bet your houses, pals!

Luke matches up better against Bones. Bones will not want to roll with him on the mat and Luke has one of the better kicking games at the heavier weights. Bones doesn't have the boxing and power to exploit Luke's biggest weakness either he'd have to get it down mostly in the clinch/infighting

Weidman isn't the threat Luke is in scrambles, reversals and off his back. He isn't a great kicker either. He's a much better wrestler than Luke but he isn't taking Bones down either so it doesn't matter much. Weidman is a good fundamentally sound sturiker but he doesn't have the explosive combinations or sturikes to threaten Bones like a Gus, Santos or Smith could either

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/chris-weidman-ufc-on-espn-6-jon-jones-anderson-silva-comparison-mystique/amp?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5da826af594d1700014c877d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
CTE confirmed

So apparently Anthony Smith was a "tough fight" for Jones

CTE is real, folks

You guys remember when the Weidman beat Gastelum and told the crowd he's still the champ?

Only if he illegally knees jones as jones crawls forward in the opening seconds. Literally Weidmans only chance lol

Back