Media Dustin Poirier "not excited" about suggested matchup with Dan Hooker

What should Poirier do?

• Sign to fight the Hangman

• Demand Conor

• Demand Tony

• Move to Welterweight

• Wait for Khabib to die of old age, then strike!

Results are only viewable after voting.

CerebralKnievel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What's the public opinion on this?

I can see Poirier's point of view on the matter, in that he feels he's established himself as the brief interim champion and wants fights that place him in line for a title or something noteworthy. On the other hand, he really had fairly little to offer Khabib, once the top control had been established, and I'd think that if he were truly invested in the spirit of competition, a fight versus a game opponent like Hooker might be perceived as a great challenge for him that would - with a victory - keep him at his position on the ladder.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/dustin-poirier-ufc-next-fight-meaningful-welterweight-move

“That doesn’t get me excited,” Poirier told MMA Junkie of a potential fight with Hooker. “I think it would be a fun fight. That guy is a good fighter, and he’s on the up, he’s been looking really good and beaten some tough guys. But it’s just not that exciting to me. I want there to be something more than just a fight. I want there to be something on the line.

“I know what he’s trying to do, and he’s doing a good job. He’s trying to make some noise and work his way up the ladder, and that’s what he’s doing. Hat’s off to him. But just right now to accept a fight, I want to be excited about it, and I’m not excited about that.”

What's Poirier expecting? He just got dominated by the champ and they're not gonna place him in any situation with too high ranked of a contender where he might win and force their hands to book a rematch against Khabib.

Hooker is a good fight. Or Cerrone. Cowboy would probably be an easy win for Dustin and we all know Cowboy isn't gonna turn down any opponent.

He's not getting a title shot anytime soon. If he doesn't want Hooker his next best bet is Felder.

If Tony Khabib doesn't get booked I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Tony v Dustin. Would really show how Tony is on another level than the rest of these guys. (barring khabib)

What's the public opinion on this?

I can see Poirier's point of view on the matter, in that he feels he's established himself as the brief interim champion and wants fights that place him in line for a title or something noteworthy. On the other hand, he really had fairly little to offer Khabib, once the top control had been established, and I'd think that if he were truly invested in the spirit of competition, a fight versus a game opponent like Hooker might be perceived as a great challenge for him that would - with a victory - keep him at his position on the ladder.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/dustin-poirier-ufc-next-fight-meaningful-welterweight-move
Fight Islam. If he wins, there's a good chance he will be on Khabib's radar again.

Duckin Poirier. Dude called you out on a big stage. You are both ranked in the Top 10. No excuses for ducking. LOL

If it is an easy fight, then you win and get back on the win column. If it is not an easy fight, then that is what the game is about. It is about proving that you earned the number next to your name or you are better than that. LOL

Fight Islam. If he wins, there's a good chance he will be on Khabib's radar again.
This fight makes only sense for Islam.
Dustin showed he has nothing to counter hold on wrestlers and is ranked light years above him.
Why would he take that fight ?

He just lost so he's got to fight down in the rankings against someone coming off a win. Felder and Hooker are the only two realistic candidates. Felder probably makes the most sense.
If he doesn't want to do that his only other real option is to go have a fun fight at 170 against Pettis or Diaz/Mas loser or something.

I think he and Conor need to rematch

Dan should be reciprocating the fact that he was handed an easy win at the top of the ranks. Give one of these other tough dudes a shot and solidify your spot. Doesn't have to be Islam (who is obviously looking for an easy stylistic win) but Oliviera and Hernández fights are there. The Oliviera fight is hot fire actually
tenor.gif

Porier spot at the top is solidified, he's put in the work. He should be fighting his way back to the title, if anyone is going to use his name to advance, it should be numbers 3-5, and honestly all of those match ups interest me. Who wouldn't want to see Porier x Cowboy, Porier x Conor, or Porier x Gaethje ll. Those are just stylistically fun fights. Win for Porier and a win for us.

Hooker still has a few things to prove. I say if he solidifies his spot by beating a lower guy, his next match up should be a top 5. Based on that performance he could possibly earn himself a title shot.

High risk, low reward fight. Understand that he wants Conor. But if you lose you better fight your way back up, so fight a lower ranked guy like Hooker.

Fight Hooker, its not like he will always fight guys ranked above him, or champions like Max, get a win, get money, stay active...he had his shot and got dominated.

I dont know what Dustin is expecting. Youve gotta take these kind of fights to build yourself back up. Perhaps hes scared of losing, which is honestly pretty likely

Most definitely not opposed to a Poirier/Hooker match up but for real solid fight entertainment purposes it's gotta be Conor/Dustin great rematch story come full circle from where they both were both at different endz, it's the fight to make. Poirier/Hooker is just another mma fight with two solid fighters...

Fight Cerrone if you want to keep your position in LW. Fight Hooker if you want to lose it.

I dont know what Dustin is expecting. Youve gotta take these kind of fights to build yourself back up. Perhaps hes scared of losing, which is honestly pretty likely
Hold on now.

Poirier spent a decade proving himself. He got into the top 5 then into a title shot. He's just saying he's now older, in the top 5, and he wants to fight and he wants big fights, but he isn't just going to fight any Joe Schmo who calls him out.

Hooker's 2nd best win is fucking Ross Pearson. Beating Al I finally got him into the top 15 or top 10. That is practically the definition of "any Joe Schmo who calls him out".

Since when do we denigrate bonafide top 5 fighters by not fighting some random top 12 dude who calls him out? We don't, because top 12 fighters are constantly calling out top 5 players.

Really his only mistake here was answering the question honestly. By answering, he gave the story legs. Other than that, there's really nothing wrong with the content of what he said.

Frankly, reactions like yours are why fighters - athletes in general - don't answer questions, and use cliche's instead. They've learned that when they answer honest, people react. And that's a real fucking shame if you ask me.

Hold on now.

Poirier spent a decade proving himself. He got into the top 5 then into a title shot. He's just saying he's now older, in the top 5, and isn't just going to fight any Joe Schmo who calls him out.

Hooker's 2nd best win is fucking Ross Pearson. Beating Al I finally got him into the top 15 or top 10. That is practically the definition of "any Joe Schmo who calls him out".

Since when do we denigrate bonafide top 5 fighters by not fighting some random top 12 dude who calls him out? We don't, because top 12 fighters are constantly calling out top 5 players.

Really his only mistake here was answering the question with honest. By answering, he gave the story legs. Other than that, there's really nothing wrong with the content of what he said.

Frankly, reactions like yours are why fighters - athletes in general - don't answer questions.
Its actually the perfect type of fight for him...
Get what should be an easy win against a guy who just beat raging al and get some momentum back.

Instead he will go fight Pettis or something im sure. But Hooker deserves a good fight. You cant go around saying top 10 guys dont interest you after you shit the bed and cried on tv in your last fight

I don't dislike Poirier but he's so entitled with this kind of thing and doesn't really take risks. Like he was demanding a TS or to be released before the Holloway interim fight was setup meanwhile Tony Ferguson exists lol.

Back