When people say UFC is rubbish (thoughts on this).

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of course I understand 100% it's all subjective and I get that completely however it does get annoying sometimes when people say "UFC is shit" while you're having conversations about it.

MMA is still a growing sport and the majority of these people haven't really watched it, they've just seen the odd fights and usually they refer to how they do the whole grappling on the floor which as we know isn't what every fight is like, not only that there's different fighters who use that where they will maul them and rag them about and then others who will just cuddle with them which I get completely but there's also a lot of UFC fighters (IE Masvidal) who don't like that either and bring other more exciting fights.

Most of the time too people who say this can barely name you a UFC fighter which is where you get to know how exciting the sport is, for example if we hear a fight is announced we get excited about certain fights where as if you don't know it's just a name to them so they don't really have a clue in that sense.

Also, these people are more times than not Boxing fans which is great, I don't mind a bit of Boxing (Dana White is a fan himself) however when there's been nights of Boxing on here and then UFC after even straight away you can see how much better and different UFC is as opposed to boxing which is just the same fight style throughout the night and you also have to wait ages for big boxing fights to happen where as UFC they have them every other week or so, again that's nothing against Boxing (it's a great sport!) however when they say "UFC is shit" it does kinda make me wonder why they knock it so much when usually boxing fans or MMA fans like a bit of both or appreciate it at least because it's a similar kind of sport in a way.

Again, I get it's subjective and that's completely fine however MMA is a growing sport and most of these people haven't even really watched it but will knock it however what do you guys think when people have these conversations with yourself?

I'd be interested to hear :)

UFC is not a legitimate Sports organization. Jeremy Stephens said it yesterday about it not being a sport and Javier Mendez said it about a month ago in an interview with Ariel helwani to backup my previous thoughts on the UFC and it not being a legitimate sport. It never was and it never will be. It is prize fighting at it finest. When you ARE okay with this reality then you can actually enjoy the UFC as opposed to going by there fraudulent facade of actual rankings and sports legitimacy which it is hilariously not. Thinking the UFC is a sport is like thinking the WWF is real wrestling. just give me two animals who can perform at the highest level lock them in the cage and let's watch the high level of competition and brutality. what I hate the most is fucking weight cuts. That is the most stupidest illogical part of this expectable

If people hate the UFC I'm still unsure as to why they watch it.

I still enjoy it so I'mma do me.

It's getting harder and harder to convince people that UFC isn't just another form of pro wrestling. I'm starting to believe it myself... :(

I've never actually heard that in person. In person the only negative things I've heard from people are "it's gay!" "It's boring!" and "it's too violent!". I like both but for me boxing simply isn't worth the crazy price tags they slap on ppv events. The UFC and MMA in general is way more accessible for me, also I always feel like the fix is in when I'm watching a big boxing event. There are way too many padded records and what not as well, they'll have a 30-0 25 year old main event against a 40 year old with a 29-11 record...

The most annoying thing from the boxing fans is that they label boxing as some kind of classy sport for intellectuals and repeat "the sweet science!" over and over again while comparing mma to drunken bums fighting on the street. It's like they've somehow been brainwashed into thinking they aren't watching 2 guys punching eachother in the face.

when I watched Khabib vs Poirier there were these old heads that just whined and moaned every time there was any sort of grappling exchange

but even they admitted to themselves that boxing is a dying relic of the past

People shit on the UFC and Dana but it's still the best by far. I don't like everything they do, especially the circus atmosphere of the last 5 years, but still watch.

TS, remember this next time you insult Cricket, Rugby, Nascar, or whatever other sport you and your group of friends chooses to pick on ;)

Yes, most sports fans don't care for MMA. I honestly expected them to change 15 years ago. I thought they just needed more exposure. Post-TUF, exposure was there, but most sports fans still just don't care all that much.

Luckily, the young male demographic still does, which makes it valuable to media producers like Spike, Fox and ESPN. So it continued to make money and continued to grow.

TLDR: don't sweat it that most people don't like it.

Each to their own buddeh, as long as I can watch it I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

The thing is ever since Reebok came in UFC has been bland as hell. Their belts look lame, shorts are god awful, meh promos. I like some stuff they post before the fights but that's that. Everything's waaay too corporate now. UFC now feels like a News Broadcast, not a product.

Of course I understand 100% it's all subjective and I get that completely however it does get annoying sometimes when people say "UFC is shit" while you're having conversations about it.

MMA is still a growing sport and the majority of these people haven't really watched it, they've just seen the odd fights and usually they refer to how they do the whole grappling on the floor which as we know isn't what every fight is like, not only that there's different fighters who use that where they will maul them and rag them about and then others who will just cuddle with them which I get completely but there's also a lot of UFC fighters (IE Masvidal) who don't like that either and bring other more exciting fights.

Most of the time too people who say this can barely name you a UFC fighter which is where you get to know how exciting the sport is, for example if we hear a fight is announced we get excited about certain fights where as if you don't know it's just a name to them so they don't really have a clue in that sense.

Also, these people are more times than not Boxing fans which is great, I don't mind a bit of Boxing (Dana White is a fan himself) however when there's been nights of Boxing on here and then UFC after even straight away you can see how much better and different UFC is as opposed to boxing which is just the same fight style throughout the night and you also have to wait ages for big boxing fights to happen where as UFC they have them every other week or so, again that's nothing against Boxing (it's a great sport!) however when they say "UFC is shit" it does kinda make me wonder why they knock it so much when usually boxing fans or MMA fans like a bit of both or appreciate it at least because it's a similar kind of sport in a way.

Again, I get it's subjective and that's completely fine however MMA is a growing sport and most of these people haven't even really watched it but will knock it however what do you guys think when people have these conversations with yourself?

UFC growing internationally. It isn't growing domestically, it's shrinking in the U.S.. They don't publish PPV numbers anymore because they are embarrassing. That trend won't change. What's hurting the U.S. market also is the fighters are coming from other countries and increasingly more "3rd worldish" ones (Daegastan etc...). I don't care personally but Joe 6 Pack and Connie Cosmopolitan have trouble relating to a muslim fighter from the mountains.

Fuck em bro. I'd take a five hour long MMA show than a three hours Boxing PPV.

If people hate the UFC I'm still unsure as to why they watch it.

I still enjoy it so I'mma do me.

Exactly and if they don't watch it that's fine but to say it's shit and not really know much about it, I don't get it cause I'd never say that about something I don't watch or know enough about.

I mean look at Masvidal and Nate coming up and that whole event coming up, how can you say that is shit and then watch Boxing events which are more times than not boring until the main event, in fact a lot of boxing fans don't even bother with the undercard sometimes yet we always have good fights to look forward to and even when on paper they don't sound great they often turn out to be really good fights.

I've never actually heard that in person. In person the only negative things I've heard from people are "it's gay!" "It's boring!" and "it's too violent!". I like both but for me boxing simply isn't worth the crazy price tags they slap on ppv events. The UFC and MMA in general is way more accessible for me, also I always feel like the fix is in when I'm watching a big boxing event. There are way too many padded records and what not as well, they'll have a 30-0 25 year old main event against a 40 year old with a 29-11 record...

The most annoying thing from the boxing fans is that they label boxing as some kind of classy sport for intellectuals and repeat "the sweet science!" over and over again while comparing mma to drunken bums fighting on the street. It's like they've somehow been brainwashed into thinking they aren't watching 2 guys punching eachother in the face.

Exactly with the boxing label thing, in fact a lot of people that go to boxing will buy tickets to be up in the back of the crowd just to drink and be rowdy and don't really care about being able to see the boxing as such, I get the atmosphere is great of course but so many exciting fights in MMA and the competition is great, it's not often we get slow fights like you do in Boxing a lot and big events take ages to come round.

Again, that's no knock on Boxing, I wouldn't do that but it's kinda annoying when they'll say "UFC is SHIT" when you say "Oh I like UFC".

when I watched Khabib vs Poirier there were these old heads that just whined and moaned every time there was any sort of grappling exchange

but even they admitted to themselves that boxing is a dying relic of the past

Yeah, I doubt they even knew what Dustin Poirier was about and why that fight was good too.

People shit on the UFC and Dana but it's still the best by far. I don't like everything they do, especially the circus atmosphere of the last 5 years, but still watch.

Same, I agree with that totally. Again, I have no problem with people who prefer Boxing over UFC or do I have a problem either if people just don't like it but half the time these people don't even really know much about it or have just seen it briefly kinda thing.

TS, remember this next time you insult Cricket, Rugby, Nascar, or whatever other sport you and your group of friends chooses to pick on ;)

Yes, most sports fans don't care for MMA. I honestly expected them to change 15 years ago. I thought they just needed more exposure. Post-TUF, exposure was there, but most sports fans still just don't care all that much.

Luckily, the young male demographic still does, which makes it valuable to media producers like Spike, Fox and ESPN. So it continued to make money and continued to grow.

TLDR: don't sweat it that most people don't like it.

But this is the thing, I don't shit on them, it's just annoying when you talk about UFC and someone will say "UFC is SHIT mate" and it's usually boxing fans for some reason which baffles me more.

I do find though that a lot of my friends have really got into UFC a lot the past couple of years or so and talk about it all the time, most of these also are big boxing fans too but they do like UFC now because they've watched it, grown to like, know the fighters etc.. and some of them will say they don't like the floor thing all the time but they appreciate it, get it and know that there's all the other side of MMA that's really good, in fact there's more of that than there is the whole being on the floor grappling thing when they can 'sometimes' be boring but that's like a really small part of it and no different as to when you get two boxers cuddling all the time (which they often do).

But yeah I hear you, and it is good that it continues to grow however I was wondering how people felt in regards to this.

But this is the thing, I don't shit on them, it's just annoying when you talk about UFC and someone will say "UFC is SHIT mate" and it's usually boxing fans for some reason which baffles me more.
OK. So you know some assholes with narrow minded opinions. So do we all.

I don't believe that you've never heard anyone insult Nascar or Cricket (depending on where you are in the world) with the same vitriol. I bet you have but it didn't register since you don't care about Cricket or Nascar the way you care about MMA. So when someone said "Nascar is SHIT, only hillbillies and homos watch it!" it went in one ear and out the other, but when someone said something about UFC it didn't go straight out the other ear, but bounced around in your own head for awhile.

Many sports fans aren't into MMA. Many boxing fans aren't into MMA. Many boxing fans are. Don't hurt your head trying to solve this problem.

Cheers.

UFC growing internationally. It isn't growing domestically, it's shrinking in the U.S.. They don't publish PPV numbers anymore because they are embarrassing. That trend won't change. What's hurting the U.S. market also is the fighters are coming from other countries and increasingly more "3rd worldish" ones (Daegastan etc...). I don't care personally but Joe 6 Pack and Connie Cosmopolitan have trouble relating to a muslim fighter from the mountains.

Yeah, I'm in the UK so I can see how it's been growing here massively too but as I say it is relatively new here, newer than it is in the US as I think it was 2013 when BT Sport picked it up and then it took a while for people to get into it there but probably 2016 onwards it started to slowly grow then it really went up the following years quite a lot and now it's got a pretty big UK fan base although it is still relatively new so people are still getting new to it.

Fuck em bro. I'd take a five hour long MMA show than a three hours Boxing PPV.

100%, again I wouldn't knock Boxing or would I knock someone who prefers Boxing over UFC (that's completely fine) but when you get the whole "UFC is SHIT mate" it's like really (and they like Boxing like in a big way).

I watched a Boxing event last week, Josh Warrington vs Sofiane Takoucht and don't get me wrong it was alright but soon as UFC came on, even in the prelims there was a big difference, it was faster, more jam packed, more fighting, everything there was a huge difference so where as I can appreciate Boxing and don't actually mind watching the Boxing events, if they're on I will watch them however I'd never shit on it either even if it's not my preference.

OK. So you know some assholes with narrow minded opinions. So do we all.

I don't believe that you've never heard anyone insult Nascar or Cricket (depending on where you are in the world) with the same vitriol. I bet you have but it didn't register since you don't care about Cricket or Nascar the way you care about MMA. So when someone said "Nascar is SHIT, only hillbillies and homos watch it!" it went in one ear and out the other, but when someone said something about UFC it didn't go straight out the other ear, but bounced around in your own head for awhile.

Many sports fans aren't into MMA. Many boxing fans aren't into MMA. Many boxing fans are. Don't hurt your head trying to solve this problem.

Cheers.

I didn't say I've never heard people shit on Nascar or Cricket, I said I haven't and never would but to be honest, no I haven't really heard anyone shit on Nascar or Cricket, I've heard people say it's boring but that's about it, I'm in the UK by the way and Cricket is quite a popular sport in it's own way, Nascar you don't really hear much about but when you do people don't shit on it, the most I've heard is people say they're not keen or it's boring which is fair enough but they've never shit on it though which is the difference. That second paragraph didn't apply at all.

As I mentioned, it's not about them not being into it (hence why I say it's subjective and it's fine) but when you say "I like UFC" and they'll say "UFC is SHIT", it's like no it's not and then you find they've never really watched it, not properly anyway but they'll bang on about how Boxing is the best (which again is fine but you get what I mean).

Misanthropic haters that don't have a lot of positive influence in their bitter lives.

UFC is good to go. Watch the fights you enjoy, change the channel when you don't want to watch and stop being crybaby bitches and complaining about literally EVERYTHING.

I agree but there is not much else to watch in the realm of MMA. I have tried to get into Bellator but it comes off as a knock-off UFC which in itself is a cheap brand.

Back