With Askren and Kron fiascos, is grappling turning into a secondary art in the UFC?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are we witnessing a revolution here? Will we look back in 10 years and laugh at grappling based guys, who we used to think were the top of the mountain in the sport?

I just have this feeling whenever I see these match-ups that striking based MMA fighters are so good at shoot-fighting that they are more likely to fuck the grappling based dude up, rather than getting subbed.

Even Jones laid off the wrestling. Cormier feel in love with boxing etc.

Is grappling slowly turning into a secondary element of MMA?

Without real grappling or BJJ skills (at least defense) you wouldn't win a single fight.
However, without real striking you can win fights

Also excellent Takedown Defense (like Izzy has) is still grappling. You learn that while grappling. :)

/thread

Last edited:
Isn't that what we all want?? Striking and knockouts!;)

Grappling > Striking

I wish it weren't the case because I prefer striking, but it is what it is.

An undefeated 28-0 phenom whos been pretty close to untouchable, never hurt bad/dropped, only lost 1 round in UFC officially, is the best fighter in the sport right now is almost exclusively a grappler........

hqdefault.jpg

An undefeated 28-0 phenom whos been pretty close to untouchable, never hurt bad/dropped, only lost 1 round in UFC officially, is the best fighter in the sport right now is almost exclusively a grappler........

hqdefault.jpg

Sub-par division. He doesn't have real serious rival besides Ferguson.

Sub-par division. He doesn't have real serious rival besides Ferguson.

Its the best/deepest division in the sport by a country mile........A division where many guys who werent at the top level @ LW could easily move up, finish top tier fighters @ WW, or even go from never being close to ranked @ LW to being ranked @ WW in 3 fights. Your thread is shit

He used how much grappling against Askren?

The exception confirms the rule, doesn't it?
I wasn't saying you can't win a fight with strikes, I was saying if your ONLY skill is striking you will not win MMA fights which is true except for a one-in-a-million first 30 seconds knockout.

Also let's not act like Masvidal could reproduce that Knockout against Askren, a rematch would look vastly different (I'd still favor Masvidal) and he would have to use his grappling defense or at least evade the grappling (which also requires knowledge about grappling) for sure.

Grappling a secondary art? Tell that to all the strikers at LW.

Are we witnessing a revolution here? Will we look back in 10 years and laugh at grappling based guys, who we used to think were the top of the mountain in the sport?

I just have this feeling whenever I see these match-ups that striking based MMA fighters are so good at shoot-fighting that they are more likely to fuck the grappling based dude up, rather than getting subbed.

LOL
No.

You are simply reading into it too much.

Grappling/wrestling is still king, but you got to be well rounded.
This much we knew from Maia and plenty other examples of fighters who did not evolve into a well rounded martial artist.

Everyone knows how to defend well. And as such, you gotta diversify your attack.

Askren only got caught because Masvidal knew he would go straight for a takedown.
Had Askren decided to stand up a little, he would not have gotten knocked down.

Don't get twisted though. The reason you don't see people getting submitted as much as before, is exactly because EVERYONE learns BJJ. So I disagree that they would disappear. They will become a wash, because everyone knows it.
It is just how you use it that will make a difference.

Khabib, Usman, Colby

Yeah, TS, that's probably why Khabib's and Usman's careers didn't work out.

Masvidal says hi
Are you at grappling practice with him now or something? Masvidal submitted primary grappler Chiesa, so I'm pretty sure he's practiced grappling once or twice.

The exception confirms the rule, doesn't it?
I wasn't saying you can't win a fight with strikes, I was saying if your ONLY skill is striking you will not win MMA fights which is true except for a one-in-a-million first 30 seconds knockout.

I have seen my fair share of UFC wins consisting of striking and TDD for the winner. I don't consider TDD pure grappling due to the rule set.

Back