Somebody explain to me how Marty has a BJJ black belt...

Natural Order

Ruthless Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
With all the recent talk about BJJ blackbelts (ala Kron fight) somebody made a post detailing how many current male UFC champs have this recognition. They noted only one currently: Kamaru Usman.

I had no idea he had this so I got looking into his Wiki page and sure enough Jorge Santiago issued him one. I'm not up-to-date on the typical requirements for receiving this distinction so can somebody please fill us in on how the fuck a guy with one submission victory and no grappling competition experience is awarded a black belt?

Don't you typically need to demonstrate these skills in actual competition?

Help me understand because right now I'm going under the assumption that the Nigerian government threatened Jorge's life or was holding something over his head.

Can you order these things off Amazon now or something?

I would imagine he trains in the gi sometimes. He'd smash most hobbyist BJJ black belts in a gi anyway.

I had no idea he had this so I got looking into his Wiki page and sure enough Jorge Santiago issued him one. I'm not up-to-date on the typical requirements for receiving this distinction so can somebody please fill us in on how the fuck a guy with one submission victory and no grappling competition experience is awarded a black belt?

Don't you typically need to demonstrate these skills in actual competition?

Never watched a Usman fight? He's got great grappling skills.

Andy Wang has one too

Well, he certainly has trained in BJJ for the last ten years or so, and progressed until his teacher gave him a black belt. Like a hundred other mma fighters.

You are simply overestimating the skill level needed to obtain one, probably underestimating the amount of mat time Usman has, and not appreciating the variance in black belts that exist today in terms of grading.

The average idiot white-collar worker who grinds for 10 years at a consistent rate can earn a black belt (I will soon be one of those idiots).

Now imagine all the mat time Usman has put in through his wrestling career pre-MMA, and since fighting MMA as a professional fighter.

Moreover, different coaches have somewhat different standards. Some require direct BJJ competition. Some don't. Some have formal testing. Some don't. Some will not promote until every aspect of your game is black-belt level. Some will. Etc...

Note: Simply looking at the number of submission wins a fighter has is a really, really poor way of evaluating whether or not they are worthy of a black belt.

there is no set timetable/schedule for getting a black belt

i have a wall full of medals, only at blue belt

Never watched a Usman fight? He's got great grappling skills.
Seen many of his fights. His grappling technique is primarily from his wrestling base.

The issue BBs for demonstrating god top control?

In real fight, Kamaru Usman will submit the vast majority of BJJ black belts you can think of. LOL

The only Black Belts that count are the ones obtained in a professional MMA fight. Just my opinion.

Al Bundy has a black belt as well..

DZfe8.jpg

Seen many of his fights. His grappling technique is primarily from his wrestling base.

The issue BBs for demonstrating god top control?

You've no actual insight as to how many hours he's training in the GI inside the gym. They don't issue black belts solely on UFC fights. Belfort and Wanderlei both have had black belts for years, each with only one submission on their record.

there is no set timetable/schedule for getting a black belt

i have a wall full of medals, only at blue belt

That's where BJJ is weird for me.
If you were doing judo you'd go to gradings, get points and get a black belt.
BJJ they're awarded and not won.

I didn't know you actually have to compete to get a black belt.
Rogan is a super legit bb and has never competed.
Same thing for Danaher and a bunch of other super legit guys (like Zahabi maybe, super legit, but hasn't competed blue belt I think…)

Same as a lot of wrestlers probably, they beat a BJJ balckbelt so now they have one until another BJJ guy takes ot aways from them.

Everyone is a black belt nowadays, but when purple belt shows on the mat and destroys your ass you realize you suck. Tell your coaches to not give you a black belt till you earn it.

I think he could be competitive against a lot of top black belts in a no-gi grappling match, especially under ADCC rules

Very difficult to submit or sweep, and crushing top control

Appreciate the responses gentlemen. So now I know that this is a completely subjective distinction with no formal guideline for acquisition.

<mma4>

Back