Media (Video)Masvidal practicing more body shots for Diaz fight

Serious technique question: Why is he extending his right arm when he's throwing the knee? Probably to generate more force but is it faulty technique? Doesn't seem that clean to me.
He keeps the left up but the right hand wanders around, is a left hook not feasible as a counter to that particular knee?

Anyone with Muay Thai experience care to comment?

Serious technique question: Why is he extending his right arm when he's throwing the knee? Is it faulty technique? Doesn't seem that clean to me.

To pull him into the knee if they tie up into clinch during the knee strike

Serious technique question: Why is he extending his right arm when he's throwing the knee? Is it faulty technique? Doesn't seem that clean to me.
He keeps the left up but the right hand wanders around, is a left hook not feasible as a counter to that particular knee?

Anyone with Muay Thai experience care to comment? I did a little of MT but not enough to know nuances like that.

I’m not sure. Everyone seems to have differing opinions on this. Guys like Cowboy likes to keep their hands close to their face in case of a counter shot to the knee.

I think some people just have a habit of extending their arm because it feels natural to them due to balance? Or it might be they want to grab ahold of the neck and pull your opponent into the knee.

Serious technique question: Why is he extending his right arm when he's throwing the knee? Probably to generate more force but is it faulty technique? Doesn't seem that clean to me.

Frame against the opponent/measure distance. Some people train high guard but it doesnt help your balance much. If you miss a knee with a high guard I would argue your more vulnerable from punches than with a framing right arm. Plus the idea is you tuck your chin behind your right shoulder as best you can.

Still it's preference at that stage though.

Frame against the opponent/measure distance. Some people train high guard but it doesnt help your balance much. If you miss a knee with a high guard I would argue your more vulnerable from punches than with a framing right arm. Plus the idea is you tuck your chin behind your right shoulder as best you can.

Still it's preference at that stage though.

Thanks. I usually see that knee thrown with a high guard actually (by local fighters and coaches, not MMA though) so I was wondering. I'm familiar with the idea of hiding your chin behind your shoulder of course.

I really hope he tries to go body work for body work with Nate. I'd put my money on Nate in that case

I don't like how he stays upright when throwing body shots. At least bend your knees a little, put your hip into it and sit on the punch.

Back