News "I Honestly Think Robert Whittaker Is A Better Version Of GSP"

TheAmericanCrack

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whittaker’s Jiu-Jitsu Coach Says ‘The Reaper’ Trumps GSP

Robert Whittaker’s jiu-jitsu coach has some massive praise for “The Reaper.”

Alex Prates is helping Whittaker prepare for his UFC middleweight title unification bout. Whittaker, the UFC middleweight champion, will meet interim title holder Israel Adesanya on Oct. 5 in Melbourne, Australia. The middleweight title unification bout is set to headline UFC 243.

Speaking to MMAFighting.com, Prates said he feels Whittaker is an even better version of GSP.

“Maybe you’ll see Robert Whittaker using a style that I think is the one that suits him better but he never really needed it because it was always comfortable for him on the feet for most of his fights,” Prates told MMA Fighting. “With Yoel Romero, for example, it would have been stupid to try to take him down. But Robert has great wrestling and great timing. I honestly think Robert is a better version of GSP. And we might see this now.”

Whittaker is still in search of his first successful title defense. While he defeated Yoel Romero in their rematch back in June 2018, “The Solider of God” missed weight thus making the fight a non-title bout. Whittaker has been marred by injuries and has only competed twice in 2017 and once in 2018.

Are you sold on Robert Whittaker being a better version of GSP?

https://www.mmanews.com/quote-i-honestly-think-robert-whittaker-is-a-better-version-of-gsp/

Robert Whittaker has better striking and better TDD. GSP ducked him for a reason

Beating prime Romero 2X > any GSP win

Trolololol Whittaker would have been dominated if he fought prime GSP. His striking is quite overrated, while being good.

Theres a reason GSP ran away

Even if Whitaker had one eye like Bisping, GSP wouldve been scared

Trolololol Whittaker would have been dominated if he fought prime GSP. His striking is quite overrated, while being good.

If that's true then why did GSP refuse to take the fight? He ran away even though he promised Dana he would defend it against Whittaker. That jab jab double leg shit wouldn't work on a guy like whittaker and GSP knows it.

If this would have been from a non connected source then it would have been something to think about but as it's from his own coach this is the normal thing they say to big up their fighters anyway.

That said I love Whittaker so I'll take it haha

Just hearing the name "Whittaker" has GSP's colitis flaring up again

Aren't they different weight classes and isn't one retired?
I mean. GSP won the MW title but physically he looked like shit and was starting to gas. He's a WW.
Calling knuckles the better version of him just seems like a silly comparison. I get what the coach is doing, he's trying to prop up the wrestling credentials and put people on notice that rob isn't just a striker but... why? And why drag GSP's name into it? When you haven't accomplished half of what one of the arguably GOAT's of the sport has it is just disrespectful to say your fighter is a "better version" of said fighter.

It just never is a good move.

I can't wait for that fight though. Israel looks legit as fuck and is a unique puzzle. He also has shown pretty good TDD so perhaps touting his wrestling credentials is just posturing/strategy going into the fight to get Israel to expect a lot of TD's. Who knows.

Either way, it's my most anticipated fight behind Khabib Tony.

If that's true then why did GSP refuse to take the fight? He ran away even though he promised Dana he would defend it against Whittaker. That jab jab double leg shit wouldn't work on a guy like whittaker and GSP knows it.

Omg wtf GSP nearly died from colitis show some respect goddamn it

I don't think that would be one of the fights GSP needed greasing up for

I think it's way too early to be making that comparison. If Whittaker manages to stay healthy and beat Adesanya, Costa, and a couple more contenders, then we can talk.

Gsp should truly challenge himself and come back to fight Whittaker. Any other fight is just avoidance and unfair fight selection if you look at it through the eyes of other competitors like Robert himself and anyone trying to establish themselves in Gsp's true career weight division. All this he earned it vs is just excuses and if this was a true sport he'd be put back in there fighting the correct fights.

Gsp did promise he would fight Robert after all. Why hasn't he?

You already know why. Don't ask stupid questions. You can choose to believe GSP or not. Whittaker was losing to Court McGee while GSP was the #1 ranked WW. You can choose to accept whatever reality you want.

Let's see what Mr. Cruz has to say about this <{cruzshake}> Cormier you want in....<36>...Hughes we haven't heard from you in a while <{hughesimpress}>...Fedor let's get your usual response to anything <Fedor23>

Wait... Whittaker's trainer thinks his pupil is the best ever?

How shocking!

Aren't they different weight classes and isn't one retired?
I mean. GSP won the MW title but physically he looked like shit and was starting to gas. He's a WW.
Calling knuckles the better version of him just seems like a silly comparison. I get what the coach is doing, he's trying to prop up the wrestling credentials and put people on notice that rob isn't just a striker but... why? And why drag GSP's name into it? When you haven't accomplished half of what one of the arguably GOAT's of the sport has it is just disrespectful to say your fighter is a "better version" of said fighter.

It just never is a good move.

I can't wait for that fight though. Israel looks legit as fuck and is a unique puzzle. He also has shown pretty good TDD so perhaps touting his wrestling credentials is just posturing/strategy going into the fight to get Israel to expect a lot of TD's. Who knows.

Either way, it's my most anticipated fight behind Khabib Tony.
Not to mention that Whitakers time is running out. Hes getting slept by either Israel or Costa. No doubt.

This. Love Rob as a champ, great exciting dude, but he's got a Karate Blitz style. A competent striker like Izzy has the tools to crack that style. It's a timing thing.

Last edited:
Back