A great opportunity for the Karate fighters in the UFC...

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Karate will officially make its debut appearance at the Summer Olympics in 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.

Olympic karate will feature two events, Kumite and Kata. Sixty competitors from around the world will compete in the Kumite competition and twenty will compete in the Kata competition. Both divisions of the competition will be split 50/50 between men and women.

That said, do you think some UFC Karate fighters could do well and maybe even win a medal next year?

WB perhaps?
Whittaker? (Or did he do Hapkido?)
Horiguchi?
Waterson?
Uriah Hall?
Gunnar Nelson?
Krylov?
Rose did some karate in her younger days too I think...

What do you guys think?
BTW here's some more info on Karate's debute in the Olympics..

Screenshot_20190923-012244_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190923-012249_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190923-012255_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190923-012259_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190923-012302_Chrome.jpg

Discuss

Last edited:
Will watch.

MVP would be great?

Used to do and teach karate and compete in kumite and Kata. Never woulda made the Olympics but it will be so cool to watch. Thanks TS.

Should have done it before the 2000s when it was a popular martial art, what took them so long?

Fucking kata as an olympic event, wtf...that's so lame, and this is coming from someone who did a decade of karate.

Olympic Committee bringing karate aspect back into Olympics?

GSP should give it a go since he's so concerned about his "legacy"

I'm not a huge fan of his but adding an Olympic medal to his resume would be sweet

It's only point fighting though, so it's all about speed. MMA karate guys would do good if Olympic Karate would be full contact (which it should be).

Karate kata = gymnastics of martial arts.

It's great for show but is totally useless for fighting. The reason why the Olympic committee included this is to gain viewers.

Karate kumite = pointing fighting karate.

It's one step better than Karate kata but is still useless for MMA, because it is based on scoring points, not based on full contacts.

Fucking kata as an olympic event, wtf...that's so lame, and this is coming from someone who did a decade of karate.

Did some karate as well as a kid and even went to some competitions. It's lame, they stop the fight after every hit.
I was DQd after I did a mawashi-geri and my opponent jumped upp and I hit him in the ass with my kick and that was considered below the belt <45>

Karate will officially make its debut appearance at the Summer Olympics in 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.

Olympic karate will feature two events, Kumite and Kata. Sixty competitors from around the world will compete in the Kumite competition and twenty will compete in the Kata competition. Both divisions of the competition will be split 50/50 between men and women.

That said, do you think some UFC Karate fighters could do well and maybe even win a medal next year?

WB perhaps?
Whittaker? (Or did he do Hapkido?)
Horiguchi?
Waterson?
Uriah Hall?
Gunnar Nelson?
Krylov?
Rose did some karate in her younger days too I think...

What do you guys think?
BTW here's some more info on Karate's debute in the Olympics..

View attachment 649727

View attachment 649729

View attachment 649731

View attachment 649733

View attachment 649735

Discuss
I went from boxing to MMA, fell in love with MT. Not to sound just like Rogan but there a lot techniques/concepts that work well from karate and taekwondo in MMA. I think that's fair to say. And I was lucky enough to train at an MMA gym before it was big business and all the coaches were active or retired fighters and the members were often martial artists who weren't well rounded but for instance grew up only doing karate or taekwondo or wrestling etc.

On topic WB if he was a few years younger. Knuckles started with Karate and then switched to Hapkido IIRC but he seems like one of those guys who learns quickly. After the Romero fights he showed anyone who cared enough to pay attention that he is a great wrestler.

Prime urine drinking Machida has gotta be one of the fan favorites. Yoshiza raised Lyoto from the moment he could walk. Authentic traditional style. I would watch a Lytoto Biopic.
<Fedor23>

Last edited:
I say we should put BJJ or no-gi (probably no-gi since to the casual sports fan BJJ looks too close to judo) into the Olympics.

Not interested in point-based martial arts competition.

This is good news.

Even if it isn't full contact and all it will still be cool to watch. Hopefully it gets some interest in combat sports.

Correct me if i'm wrong - the Kata is basically dancing....?
You do your dance - it gets judged - someone wins and someone loses.

But really - everyone loses......

Idk a lot about karate but I do know a lot of these point based events aren't really applicable to real fighting. Quick kicks that aren't effective but score points.

Back