Shoutout to Herb Dean

Washad

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
After f#%king up almost every main event for the last decade he handled last nights eyepoke fiasco perfectly. Therefore he deserve some credit, salute to you Herb. Or should he had ruled it a DQ rather than a NC? I don't think so...

G5z4VN8.gif

tenor.gif

In before the flood of hatred.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

He did a great job. He didn't coach the fighter. He simple told the fighter what will happen, and gave him space to quit on his own.

Other referees are constantly putting pressure on the fighters to either quit or resume the fight without being fully recovered. LOL

Jeremy shoulda gotten a nc win

I thought he did well overall, but him trying to explain to a fucking doctor the physiologic response of getting poked in the eye was pretty funny.

I thought he did well overall, but him trying to explain to a fucking doctor the physiologic response of getting poked in the eye was pretty funny.
Haha yeah 100% but most of these doctors seem like they dont know shit. They run in there and ask the fighter: ”Can you see?” They of course answer: ”No” Then the doctors blow it off and the ref is like: Doctors says no, its over!

No sane person is DQ-ing Jair in Mexico City after 15 seconds. Unless you're suicidal.

Agreed, herb did everything right and took control of things in an attempt to keep the fight going.

Did he though? I thought it was pathetically obvious he was trying to save the main event. He didn't care about Stephens' eye. He couldn't even open it and Herb was like we are going to wait the entire 5 minutes.

He even told the doctors to back off until the 5 minutes were up. Any other fight we would have waved off the instant he saw a fighfig not being able to open their eye.

Herb was just trying to gain favor with the UFC. His issue isn't that he's a bad ref but that he's incredibly inconsistent.

I was glad he went that route, too many refs call the doctor in right away when sometimes 5 minutes will do, everybody knows what a poke in the eye feels like and it sucks but most of the time you give it a few minutes, a bit of a rub and you're good to go, as soon as you involve the doctors though you're fucked.

Did he though? I thought it was pathetically obvious he was trying to save the main event. He didn't care about Stephens' eye. He couldn't even open it and Herb was like we are going to wait the entire 5 minutes.
What would the negative part of that be? Stephens eye wouldnt gotten worse by 5 minutes of waiting, right?

Herb failed to recognize that Jeremy simply couldn't handle 3 patadas in 13 seconds

People won't remember this. They only remember the negative.

Herb Dean had his fair share of fuckups but when you've been doing this for so long you're bound to fuck up a few times.

The guy does seem like a genuinly good dude.

Technically fighters don't get 5 minutes for eyepokes so Herb fucked that up, too

Back