Will UFC ever pass MLB in popularity? MLS?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So we are almost nearing the year 2020. Dana was saying the UFC would/might become more popular than soccer world wide. How close is it? Would it ever pass MLB in popularity? What about MLS, the USA soccer league? I think MLS is getting pretty big now too...not sure how total revenues compare.

MLB play offs begin pretty soon. And if you think about it, people goes nuts and absolutely bananas everyday watching baseball games, but same can't be said about UFC cards, unless some amazing ko/submission/moves happen.

One baseball team (Yankees) is something like 4.5 billion.

To truly be a huge sport you have to stop delivering your product via PPV. What do all the large sports have in common? Answer: They are free.

MMA is too sophisticated for soccer fans.

giphy.gif

Didn't UFC officially overtake NFL?

The world cup final gets over a billion views. It is watched by literally half the World during the competition at some point.

UFC gets literally hundreds of thousands of views for some cards.

If your talking about JUST the MLS then yes, its bigger already, MLS is a joke league.

As boring as it is, MLB will always be the “Great American pastime”. MMA/UFC has light years to go...
91olvOCzNIL.jpg

Individual sports will never be as big as big team sports.
You don't have 30 teams playing 162 games a year.

Didn't UFC officially overtake NFL?

The world cup final gets over a billion views. It is watched by literally half the World during the competition at some point.

UFC gets literally hundreds of thousands of views for some cards.

Lol what? UFC doesn't even come close to NFL. There are single franchises that are worth as much as the UFC.

So we are almost nearing the year 2020. Dana was saying the UFC would/might become more popular than soccer world wide. How close is it? Would it ever pass MLB in popularity? What about MLS, the USA soccer league? I think MLS is getting pretty big now too...not sure how total revenues compare.

MLB play offs begin pretty soon. And if you think about it, people goes nuts and absolutely bananas everyday watching baseball games, but same can't be said about UFC cards, unless some amazing ko/submission/moves happen.
I’m gonna say impossible. MMA attracts a markedy different type of fan than baseball. Sure, there may be overlap between the two, but speaking broadly, baseball attracts normal people and MMA attracts weirdos.

Talking a bit of baseball is requisite for social success; talking a bit of MMA can get you shunned.

I crunched the numbers on this earlier this year.

The UFC has already surpassed MLS financially and in popularity.

My original post:
Average MLS team is valued at about $240 million and with 23 teams that outs the team valued at about $5.5 billion. Now all but 7 teams operate at a loss and when adding the teams up they operate at a loss of $53 million per year.

And as far as rating, MLS in 2018 only averaged about 276,000 viewers per event. Even the finals broadcast on Fox (Not FS1, actual Fox) only did 1.8 million viewers. Even UFC on Fox 30, the lowest UFC Fox event ever, did 1.68 million viewers.

So I think both financially and popularity wise I think it is safe to say UFC>MLS

Remember that one guy in high school that took Taekwondo classes? Remember all the guys that played football? Nah.

It's not even fucking close..........Dana is delusional.

UFC is probably a hair above the WNBA.

More popular than soccer, lol. What a goof.

Back