UFC going for the pro wrestling fan base?

Aforo88

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Im from EU and have 0 interest for pro wrestling. With that said Ive noticed that its more common now than ever to involve pro wrestling references in talks regarding mma. Googleing stuff I dont understand from different mma podcasts always seems to end up in a pro wrestling themed result.
The direction UFC going with giving out/stripping interim belts and making up belts based on the social media traction it seems like theyre aiming for the WWE fanbase now more than ever before.

Any thoughts?

Pro wrestling has long been a fight sport satire that got misunderstood and taken out of context by younger generations. Doing what’s popular is just doing what’s popular. Most sports and most things will venture a publicity stunt if the numbers look good. It’s hard to say it’s derivative of pro-wrestling when the premise of pro wrestling is to be a satire of fight sport.

they have been going after that audience for the entire existence of the UFC.

chael managed to sell many fights directly ripping off pro wrestling tactics.

the Japanese loved pro wrestling too and Pride had "pro wrestling" style matches as well.

MMA and pro wrestling have ALWAYS had a lot of crossover. I honestly believe a large part of the UFCs growth in the mid/late 00s came from the kids who watched WWF/WCW/ECW during the late 90s/early 00s hitting their late teens and 20s and making the switch. Remember business hit new highs when Brock signed too.

People always wanted prowrestling with real fights. Thats what UFC basically is, accept it and move on. Pride did it better though.

If adult pro-wrestling fans believed it was real, they would sound like MMA fans.

Im from EU and have 0 interest for pro wrestling. With that said Ive noticed that its more common now than ever to involve pro wrestling references in talks regarding mma. Googleing stuff I dont understand from different mma podcasts always seems to end up in a pro wrestling themed result.
The direction UFC going with giving out/stripping interim belts and making up belts based on the social media traction it seems like theyre aiming for the WWE fanbase now more than ever before.

Any thoughts?
You clearly don’t watch boxing and secretly watch WWF

Money Belt lol
001_Money_Belt.jpg

Diamond Champion
WBCdiamondbelt.jpg

Silver Champion lol
Manyuchi-proudly-shows-his-WBC-belt-around-the-Magaba-area-yesterday.jpg

Any thoughts?

Yea the Fertitta's would never do something like sign a pro wrestler with little to no mma experience and give him a title shot within 18 months.

Any thoughts?

they been doing that already. you ever hear about brock lenser and cm punk

Yea the Fertitta's would never do something like sign a pro wrestler with little to no mma experience and give him a title shot within 18 months.

you mean they didnt it vs there biggest fan star.

Back