Hard to believe Frankie Edgar spent 6 years at featherweight

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems like just yesterday he made the drop down from 155

He's making the move to 135 for his next fight, what do you guys think about that?

he's doing it begrudgingly, too. that never helps.

i dont think his greatest asset (speed) will be a factor when facing bantamweights. and if he has a tough time cutting the weight, i dont think his wrestling will help him much, either.

also crazy to think he was lightweight champion. i cant imagine him vs khabib, tony, etc.

He's a muscled lil fuck that I think can do very well at 135lbs. Shedding some muscle might make him faster with even more cardio and both have never been an issue for Frankie. Winless in his last 5 title shots, It be awesome if he's the one to shut Cejudo the fuck up.

i dont think his greatest asset (speed) will be a factor when facing bantamweights. and if he has a tough time cutting the weight, i dont think his wrestling will help him much, either.
He barely has to cut to make 145, I doubt that will be a factor. His loss of a speed advantage and the fact that it's no guarantee he'll have a power advantage are bigger factors as I see it.

Someday he might find a division he can win in again.

It takes time for some people to accept themselves as manlets

<DirkMavs>

He probably cuts 10 to make 145.

He wrestled at 141 in college:
https://clariongoldeneagles.com/hof.aspx?hof=166

Like a lot of people I thought he'd have no problem making 135, but it says something that he's going to be 6 lbs below his college wrestling weight.
College is same day weigh ins though so no time to rehydrate like he will now. It is light, even for him, so I hear your point. But I'm not really concerned.

Yeah, but he won't be fighting guys who have half a foot in height and reach on him, so there won't be as much distance for him to cover in order to get in the pocket where he likes to do most of his work.

I think he'll add a nice win or two to his already great resume, but ultimately I doubt he fights for a belt again.

Too late, and he is doing it wrong imo, should had started at 135 and moved up to 145 to finish his career, 155 currently is too much for him, i mean, the landscape of MMA is too different than boxing where guys move 3-4-5 divisions up and they still perform, 135 to 155 is HUGE in size difference, boxing is like a normal career to move 20lbs with the years, Canelo fought at 154 most of his career, its fighting at 175 next.

Seems like with in six years he would have finally grown up and made a real mans weight.

He probably cuts 10 to make 145.

He wrestled at 141 in college:
https://clariongoldeneagles.com/hof.aspx?hof=166

Like a lot of people I thought he'd have no problem making 135, but it says something that he's going to be 6 lbs below his college wrestling weight.

Edgar didn't cut much weight in college either, so it's not surprising. He was only cutting like 5lbs back then. He's gained weight since college, but he'd still only need to cut like 15lbs or so to make 135lbs now, which is nothing too extreme.

Seems like just yesterday he made the drop down from 155

He's making the move to 135 for his next fight, what do you guys think about that?

I had to check that it was 6 years cause I thought you were pulling my leg. But damn it has been 6 years!

He's a muscled lil fuck that I think can do very well at 135lbs. Shedding some muscle might make him faster with even more cardio and both have never been an issue for Frankie. Winless in his last 5 title shots, It be awesome if he's the one to shut Cejudo the fuck up.
Muscled......lil.....fuck....*dedz*<45>

He barely has to cut to make 145, I doubt that will be a factor. His loss of a speed advantage and the fact that it's no guarantee he'll have a power advantage are bigger factors as I see it.

I think he will definitely be one of the most powerful guys at 135

Frankie is very strong, sometimes it's hard to tell because he is constantly at a leverage disadvantage, something that may swing in his favor at 135

Hopefully the cutting process doesn't drain him too much

I think he will definitely be one of the most powerful guys at 135

Frankie is very strong, sometimes it's hard to tell because he is constantly at a leverage disadvantage, something that may swing in his favor at 135

Hopefully the cutting process doesn't drain him too much
Strong yes, but even at 145 I wasn't impressed with his punching power (which is what I was referring to). He's obviously not pillow fisted, but I think there are BWs who hit just as hard.

I think Henry brutally finishes if Frankie gets that far, speed isnt there anymore and Henry’s prob stronger than Edgar.

Prime Edgar would get absolutely destroyed by any of the top 5 fighters in todays lightweight division. Goes to show how overrated BJ Penn is. Oh and btw Cejudo beats him easily.

Interesting... dude has the heart to compete, can't hate on the move to 135. But think he get's smoked by Cejudo…

Back