Why Dagestan produces so many professional fighters?

Noxcho

Verified Chechen ✓
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've seen people asking this or talking about this in numerous threads. Often many incorrect assumptions are made so I'd like to give my own take on it. Which might be more credible to some since I'm from the same region.

I've used Dagestan as main example because it is the largest republic from the Northern Caucasus. But this applies also to Chechnya, Ingushetia, Ossetia and so forth. The Southern Caucasus countries also produce lots of great fighters probably for similar reasons, but I won't speak for them.

Alright, let me first paint the picture for you on what we are talking about. My explanation might have some inaccuracies, but in general what I'm saying is correct.

Russia has a population of about 150 million. 3 million of those are Dagestani. 1.5 million of those are Chechen. That means that statistically if you are speaking of Russian fighters, there should be a 1 out of 30 chance that they are Chechen/Dagestani.

In reality the situation is reversed. Most Russian combat athletes, whether it be MMA, Sambo, Judo, Wrestling you name it... are predominantly from the Northern Caucasus.

So why is that? I'll explain several reasons for it. Starting with the most contributing factor to least contributing factor. This is all my personal opinion and experience. Don't take my word as a fact.

1. Culture

I was born and at 4 years old I was put in Judo classes. This is normal. This is the standard. It is weird if you are from Chechnya and you have never practiced a combat sport. Every Chechen I know has practiced a combat sport. It's not about becoming a professional athlete. It's about being a man.

In our culture fighting is very big. When I was little the older boys would put me and my friends to fight each other. This happens to everyone here. Even when you are not in the gym, your father will teach you stuff at home. Seriously, half the techniques I learned at home from my father.

So what you get basically is an entire male population competing with each other to be the best. Not coming from this region you probably won't even be able to understand how deeply rooted combat is in our lives.

2. Hardship

Our region has had a lot to endure. Let's start with war. We have fought enemies for many centuries. This process of war eliminates the weaker people who can't survive and the strong population with the most resilient genes remains. Natural selection at it's peak.

Climate and geography. The Caucasus mountains are a tough place to live. Hottest summers, coldest winters. There is no place like it I believe.

Hard work. We need to help our parents from a young age. We don't get to sit and play fortnite all day. We need to help building houses, carry heavy things, there's a lot of stuff like this which makes us tougher than your average western person.

3. Mentality

With mentality I mean a lot of things including religion. Religion helps us in a way that we take care or our bodies and stay on the right path. No alcohol, no drugs. This might also have to do with culture. But we are taught to be strong men, not fearing anyone besides God. There is a lot of discipline ingrained into us.

4. Genetics

Having mentioned all the previous things as more important. I actually believe this is the little extra thing which sets us apart from the rest. I believe that there's a big difference in physical attributes of different races. Without being racist, I think most people can agree with this. We are not all equal.

It's not a coincidence that the best sprinters are black. They are more explosive. It's not a coincidence that the best shorttrack speed skaters are Korean. There are many examples of this.

I noticed people from the Caucasus have different physicalities compared to other. The biggest difference I noticed is that we have exceptionally strong joints. This is very beneficial in grappling sports. If this is a result or a cause I don't know, but it does contribute to our succes.

Our general bad attributes are cardio. We are not the best endurance athletes.

Anyway, I tried my best to explain the details. I'll leave some cliffnotes for you also and you can ask questions if you have, i'll gladly answer them.

Cliffs:
- We have a strict macho culture revolving around combat sports.
- We have tougher lives. Climate, war, geography, parenting all contribute to our toughness
- Mentally we are disciplined. Religion helps us avoid drugs, alcohol and so onz
- Genetics help us in combat sports. We have strong joints

very thorough and respectful post, ts.

i would love to see more information or evidence to support number 4, though-

"The biggest difference I noticed is that we have exceptionally strong joints. This is very beneficial in grappling sports. If this is a result or a cause I don't know, but it does contribute to our succes."

huge if true

I've seen people asking this or talking about this in numerous threads. Often many incorrect assumptions are made so I'd like to give my own take on it. Which might be more credible to some since I'm from the same region.

I've used Dagestan as main example because it is the largest republic from the Northern Caucasus. But this applies also to Chechnya, Ingushetia, Ossetia and so forth. The Southern Caucasus countries also produce lots of great fighters probably for similar reasons, but I won't speak for them.

Alright, let me first paint the picture for you on what we are talking about. My explanation might have some inaccuracies, but in general what I'm saying is correct.

Russia has a population of about 150 million. 3 million of those are Dagestani. 1.5 million of those are Chechen. That means that statistically if you are speaking of Russian fighters, there should be a 1 out of 30 chance that they are Chechen/Dagestani.

In reality the situation is reversed. Most Russian combat athletes, whether it be MMA, Sambo, Judo, Wrestling you name it... are predominantly from the Northern Caucasus.

So why is that? I'll explain several reasons for it. Starting with the most contributing factor to least contributing factor. This is all my personal opinion and experience. Don't take my word as a fact.

1. Culture

I was born and at 4 years old I was put in Judo classes. This is normal. This is the standard. It is weird if you are from Chechnya and you have never practiced a combat sport. Every Chechen I know has practiced a combat sport. It's not about becoming a professional athlete. It's about being a man.

In our culture fighting is very big. When I was little the older boys would put me and my friends to fight each other. This happens to everyone here. Even when you are not in the gym, your father will teach you stuff at home. Seriously, half the techniques I learned at home from my father.

So what you get basically is an entire male population competing with each other to be the best. Not coming from this region you probably won't even be able to understand how deeply rooted combat is in our lives.

2. Hardship

Our region has had a lot to endure. Let's start with war. We have fought enemies for many centuries. This process of war eliminates the weaker people who can't survive and the strong population with the most resilient genes remains. Natural selection at it's peak.

Climate and geography. The Caucasus mountains are a tough place to live. Hottest summers, coldest winters. There is no place like it I believe.

Hard work. We need to help our parents from a young age. We don't get to sit and play fortnite all day. We need to help building houses, carry heavy things, there's a lot of stuff like this which makes us tougher than your average western person.

3. Mentality

With mentality I mean a lot of things including religion. Religion helps us in a way that we take care or our bodies and stay on the right path. No alcohol, no drugs. This might also have to do with culture. But we are taught to be strong men, not fearing anyone besides God. There is a lot of discipline ingrained into us.

4. Genetics

Having mentioned all the previous things as more important. I actually believe this is the little extra thing which sets us apart from the rest. I believe that there's a big difference in physical attributes of different races. Without being racist, I think most people can agree with this. We are not all equal.

It's not a coincidence that the best sprinters are black. They are more explosive. It's not a coincidence that the best shorttrack speed skaters are Korean. There are many examples of this.

I noticed people from the Caucasus have different physicalities compared to other. The biggest difference I noticed is that we have exceptionally strong joints. This is very beneficial in grappling sports. If this is a result or a cause I don't know, but it does contribute to our succes.

Our general bad attributes are cardio. We are not the best endurance athletes.

Anyway, I tried my best to explain the details. I'll leave some cliffnotes for you also and you can ask questions if you have, i'll gladly answer them.

Cliffs:
- We have a strict macho culture revolving around combat sports.
- We have tougher lives. Climate, war, geography, parenting all contribute to our toughness
- Mentally we are disciplined. Religion helps us avoid drugs, alcohol and so onz
- Genetics help us in combat sports. We have strong joints

Thanks for a great thread brother!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!

Definitely hardship and mental strength is what shapes fighters

I think of the Black boxers from America. For many years they were treated as second class citizens and boxing/fighting was a way for them to stay away from drugs and the streets.

Floyd Mayweather isn't seen as a classic tough guy, but he always said his tough upbringing was a major contribution to his success and there aren't many fighters with more mental toughness than him.

Muhammad Ali is an even better example!

They ain’t got nothing better to do

Yea I think that tracks. I can’t speak to the genetic component (especially the joints thing) but I wouldn’t dismiss it.

I also think it’s important that the combat sports in the region seem to be so grappling-heavy. Grappling sports (particularly those that involve takedowns) remain the best base for MMA.

Russians are the last real men on the planet

We were among the toughest nation years ago (Irish), but we are soft as fuck now!

The fighting Irish is long gone! Though it's in our DNA to get drunk and brawl, but we just aren't as good at it as past generations!

If My Grandad was alive and still in his peak, he would smesh most men! The stories I heard about that man!

Apparently he was getting pissed off with an argument in a local bar, so he proceeded to throw all the punters to the street and the poor barman along with them. He went back inside and drunk his whiskey in peace lol

The good old days, western men are soy boys now in comparison!

Last edited:
Interesting read. I can’t say I agree with all of your points, or their order, but definitely worth some thought.

To your point on genetics, that can be a taboo subject, but I believe it is a factor. I certainly didn’t conduct anything resembling a scientific study, but I noticed during one of the recent cards in China that a lot of Chinese fighters have relatively short reach. Most UFC fighters seem to have a reach equal to their height or a couple inches more. Less is rare. It seemed like roughly half of the Chinese fighters on that card had a reach less than their height. I’d be interested in seeing statistics on reach other measurements broken down by ethnicity.

1514597154612.jpg

We were among the toughest nation years ago (Irish), but we are soft as fuck now!

The fighting Irish is long gone! Though it's in our DNA to get drunk and brawl, but we just aren't as good at it as past generations!

If My Grandad was alive and still in his peak, he would lick most men! The stories I heard about that man!

Apparently he was getting pissed off with an argument in a local bar, so he proceeded to throw all the punters to the street and the poor barman along with them. He went back inside and drunk his whiskey in peace lol

The good old days, western men are soy boys now in comparison!

I feel you, bro. The same applies to my people.

Since it has been mentioned three times. I'll explain more about the genetics point I mentioned.

First of all, I didn't conduct any research or read anything about it. So what I'm saying is just my experience and own analysis.

But I live in Europe now, not in Chechnya. That being said there are still many Chechen people in the country I live from all age categories.

When I look at the little Chechen kids in the playgrounds and compare them to the European children I notice there is some difference in their ability to climb, hang on pull-up bars etc.

Also I have sparred with Chechens and Europeans. There is a very noticeable grip strength difference. So from these experiences I made my own conclusion that our joints are a little more strong...

If I'm correct I don't know, but that's just my feeling

I wanted to be very mean to TS but since all you other guys are being so nice to him I'll just refrain.

Not a bad thread but I think most people here heard this before.

*Antarctica enters the chat room*

All jokes aside, interesting read.

Back