Dana White Says Colby Just Ducked Woodley

How much of what Dana just said do you believe?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After Colby Covington beat Robbie Lawler at UFC Newark, all signs pointed to him fighting welterweight champion, Kamaru Usman next. Many also expected that fight to be at UFC 244 in Madison Square Garden.

Yet, that is not the case. Instead, negotiations between the two fell apart and the UFC booked Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal as the main event of the card.

Now, speaking at the UFC 244 press conference, UFC president, Dana White explained why Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington did not come to fruition.

“So here’s the thing with that,” White said during the news conference (h/t MMA Junkie). “Obviously, you heard me say in interviews after [Diaz defeated Pettis] that was the fight I was going to make.

“So Colby Covington can say whatever he wants, but we make fights for a living. That’s what we do. We go after guys and we say, ‘This is next. This is the date. Do you want the fight?’ Obviously he wanted more money to fight Usman. We went back and forth.”

Dana White was obviously not pleased he could not get a deal with Colby Covington or Kamaru Usman. But, ‘Chaos’ says he turned it down because it was not a negotiation. Instead, it was a take it or leave it offer, and it was less money then what he was paid against Lawler.

However, according to White, Colby Covington also turned down a Tyron Woodley fight after the Kamaru Usman negotiations hit a snag.

“This is the second time he’s done it,” White said. “He had a fight in Dallas, too. So we said, ‘If you don’t want to fight Usman then we’ll give you Tyron Woodley’. He turned down Tyron Woodley, too. You either want to fight or you don’t. When Colby Covington is willing to fight, he’ll let us know.”

-BJPenn.com

Why should he fight Woodley? He’s more than earned his shot and fuck the UFC for trying to lowball him for a title fight.

Regardless of whether they are popular or exciting, colby vs usman is the fight to make at 170.

Any other opponent is a waste of time.

Wtf? Why would he fight Woodley when Colby has been #1 contender for like a year now?

I mean. Diaz vs Masvidal is way more fan friendly... and will do better numbers. But … how can you not make the champ vs interim fight happen... even if it is a boring bathroom break fight.

Why the fuck would he fight Woodley when he’s earned a title shot?

Woodley is dangerous and could probably take his head off with a single blow.

Woodley is a win that means nothing and potentially a shattered jaw with brain damage from a vicious right hand.

The fuck is Dana tryin to say? Lol anything to get people to believe hes a ducker I guess.

The two of them are boring dumbasses

This was a chance for one to become the undisputed champ and start having more leverage to make demands.

They both jumped the gun one fight early which means they were both scared of losing

I'm talking about Snoozeman and Colby, Tyquil is irrelevant

Last edited:
None. I don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

1. White probably offered Colby a very low ball number knowing he'd resist and maybe even not accept it.

2. White probably knew if he offered Colby Woodley then Colby would not agree because he wants a titleshot, and that he (Dana) would then be able to tell the media Colby ducked Woodley just to troll Colby.

Lol who do I believe between these two knuckle brains? I dont care

I believe they offered him Woodley and that he turned it down. I also believe that he needs to figure out that you don't get the fat paycheck just for challenging for the title. You get the fat check for attempting to defend it.

What Dana says may or may not be true but you can bet that 100% of it is totally self-serving.

QNxzuAo.jpg

Hes saying Colby ducked Usman then refused Woodley. Basically Colby only fights those he's confident he will win against, so he stays clear of both Usman and Woodley

I hate them both. They kinda deserve each other.

Back