If Dustin Poirier was to fight Nate Diaz now (timing of events).

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https-specials-images-forbesimg-com-dam-imageserve-1010451506.jpg

Regardless of what happens with Masvidal, Nate obviously wants to fight again with that and Pettis recently alongside the fact Dustin seems to be doing well despite his loss to Khabib (which is no bad thing) the timing is quite different now.

Dustin seems to have the fire back though how this loss affects him we've yet to see which makes me think maybe see him get some regular fights first however I was wondering what you guys thought here about this?

As we know they were supposed to fight last year though is this a fight you would still like to see?

Edit: Will add this to the OP :)

Last edited:
Nate vs Dustin would be a great fight.

Not sure Poirier would handle Diaz pace and reach
Would be a great fight

Nate is at 170, Dustin is at 155.

Will dustin be going up? Cause im not sure nate would be going back down again just for it at this point

Nate is at 170, Dustin is at 155.

Will dustin be going up? Cause im not sure nate would be going down at this point

I did see Dustin tweet last night he would consider it, he said his body can't make FW no more but WW he could.

Dustin had his chance and backed out. Thats 1-0 for Diaz. No need for a rematch.

Dustin had his chance and backed out. Thats 1-0 for Diaz. No need for a rematch.

I heard so many conflicting stories about that.

Prior to Poirier’s withdrawal, Diaz himself hinted he would pull out from the contest, a threat many deemed to be a negotiation tactic from the Stockton native.

And according to ‘The Diamond’, Diaz’s back-and-forth with the UFC nixed the fight before he decided to remove himself from the card.

“The fight wasn’t really going to happen anyways,” the Louisiana native told Express Sport. “I had been training through injuries, stuff like staph [infection].

“And Nate had pulled out of the fight a couple of times and went back on some negotiations he was trying to pull off with.

This was from April this year: UFC 236: Dustin Poirier reflects on Nate Diaz fight withdrawal ahead of Max Holloway bout

Besides who cares, that was then this is now so as I say the timing is different.

Dustin doesn't deserve the fight. He pulled out like a bitch while complaining that Diaz wouldn't show up the weeks before the fight lol.

Dustin doesn't deserve the fight. He pulled out like a bitch while complaining that Diaz wouldn't show up the weeks before the fight lol.

As above but so, that was then, let them fight if they want to fight, a lot of people were saying that was potential fight of the year so it would be good for the fans which I'm sure a lot of fans would want to see if this was announced.

This was from April this year: UFC 236: Dustin Poirier reflects on Nate Diaz fight withdrawal ahead of Max Holloway bout

Besides who cares, that was then this is now so as I say the timing is different.

Long story short:
  • Both accepted the fight
  • Diaz tweeted some anti-UFC bullshit that made no sense like he always does
  • Poirier thought that means Diaz won't show up, media reporting Diaz is not showing up (idiots, neither Diaz brother has ever pulled out of a fight they signed a bout agreement for, not even due to injury!)
  • Diaz says he will show up
  • a few weeks later Poirier pulls out of the fight due to injury
(Links: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10...d-him-out-of-fight-against-nate-diaz-mma-news, https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10...er-injury-withdrawal-you-aint-about-this-life)

That's the facts.

Long story short:
  • Both accepted the fight
  • Diaz tweeted some anti-UFC bullshit that made no sense like he always does
  • Poirier thought that means Diaz won't show up, media reporting Diaz is not showing up (idiots, neither Diaz brother has ever pulled out of a fight they signed a bout agreement for, not even due to injury!)
  • Diaz says he will show up
  • a few weeks later Poirier pulls out of the fight due to injury
(Links: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10...d-him-out-of-fight-against-nate-diaz-mma-news, https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10...er-injury-withdrawal-you-aint-about-this-life)

That's the facts.

Right then, so a lot of complications and back and forth then, you don't lose out of a potential fight cause of shit like that in the past, that's petty.

If that was the case and how people felt then not only could we miss lots of great potential fights but let them fight and if you feel that strongly then hope Diaz beats Dustin's ass.

Right then, so a lot of complications and back and forth then, you don't lose out of a potential fight cause of shit like that in the past, that's petty.

If that was the case and how people felt then not only could we miss lots of great potential fights but let them fight and if you feel that strongly then hope Diaz beats Dustin's ass.

It doesn't matter for me, not a big fan of either guy. Just think Poirier doesn't deserve the match and knowing Nate there is not a chance in hell he will accept a Poirier fight now.

It doesn't matter for me, not a big fan of either guy. Just think Poirier doesn't deserve the match and knowing Nate there is not a chance in hell he will accept a Poirier fight now.

Yeah, Nate is tied up with Masvidal at the moment and if he wins that no doubt there will be Conor saying he's the BMF and then potentially whoever else lol

I just remember with this fight them saying it was potential fight of the year and a lot of fans excited about it, alongside the fact Dustin is kinda in a limbo place now to a degree and saying last night he would move to WW if the fight was right, came to mind for me.

I think if it got announced people would be really started to look forward to it but in regards to it happening or people feeling it before hand, could be different which I get, specially as like I say I'd like to see where Dustin is at after the loss cause we all know the next fight will give us an idea in regards to that more.

The thing about conflicting stories is you get to choose which one to believe.

But the fact is Dustin pulled out with an "undisclosed" injury.

Seriously doubt Nate would be interested in in trying to set that fight up now. He doesn't take to kindly to people pulling out. Plus, he's moved on to bigger and better things. Maybe if Dustin can string a couple of wins together but as it stands now, he just lost and Nate just won.

This.

Also Nate doesn't deserve the fight because Dustin just lost to the champ and I don't want a guy with Nate's activity and attitude toward fighting being in the title picture.

The thing about conflicting stories is you get to choose which one to believe.

But the fact is Dustin pulled out with an "undisclosed" injury.

Seriously doubt Nate would be interested in in trying to set that fight up now. He doesn't take to kindly to people pulling out. Plus, he's moved on to bigger and better things. Maybe if Dustin can string a couple of wins together but as it stands now, he just lost and Nate just won.

Nah I agree, that's what I mean like with things in the past, sod it, just go forward and let them fight if they will kinda thing :)

Back