Styles Make Fights: UFC Expert Reveals Two Extreme Fighters to Dethrone Khabib

Will Khabib retire undefeated?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matt Serra believes two fighters could solve the puzzle of Khabib Nurmagomedov. At a stellar 28-0 and holding UFC lightweight gold, Nurmagomedov has become one of the most dominant fighters in the history of mixed martial arts competition. He’s coming off a successful title defense against Dustin Poirier, submitting “The Diamond” in the third round.

Former UFC welterweight champion Serra took to the UFC Unfiltered podcast to make the case for featherweight Brian Ortega having a chance against “The Eagle.”

“Styles make fights. I was thinking, I was there over in Abu Dhabi with Khabib fighting Dustin Poirier and he looked dominant as all F,” Serra said. “It was something else, but styles make fights. So after that fight I’m thinking, Is there anything telling in the whole division that somebody can challenge him? [That] can really pose a threat. Two names immediately shot up in my head.

“One, Brian Ortega. I don’t give a f*ck what anyone says. That guillotine was tight as hell. I’d love to hear what Khabib says about it, but the fact that he had to go to his hip, he didn’t go straight up belly to ceiling cause he knows that could be it, he had to make him adjust his grip. That thing was tight, man! So if somebody who is a little more precise or a lot more precise--like Brian Ortega--in a transition with a takedown, he gets that arm around the neck, can he finish it?”

(Ortega has weighed in on the moment Nurmagomedov was in Poirier’s guillotine. “T-City” feels he would’ve finished “The Eagle” if he were in that position.)

Serra went on to say that fourth-ranked UFC lightweight Justin Gaethje could also pose some problems for Nurmagomedov.

“Who’s held down Gaethje and beat him up?” Serra continued. “Nobody. He’s so powerful, cardio never seems to be a problem. The way he puts his kicks and his hands [together]. He’s powerful with his fists.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...rs-who-can-give-khabib-nurmagomedov-problems/

Gotta respect Serra. Made one of the top 5 fighters in history tap to his strikers

BJJ guys always thinking BJJ has the answer, but gotta disagree, being a BJJ black belt is overrated these days, developing an excellent submission game takes close to a decade, but developing a sufficient submission defensive game to neutralize it takes a couple of years.

Idiotic to think the way to beat Khabib is off your back.... Everyone can see Khabib's holes, its just who has the TDD to expose them, and LW is a very thin division in regards to wrestlers, Justin is a good prospect, Gillespie shows potential, full camp Al coukd also give Khabib problems.

Tony in my opinion just seems to willing to fight off his back, but brings a different puzzle for Khabib to figure out

Last edited:
Ortega's too small. It'd be an Oliveira vs Felder type of situation. And Gaethje probably would be useless after 1 or 2 rounds of Khabibsmanship.

But I'd give them more chance of winning than Dustin, Conor, MJ, Barboza, RDA, Al or anyone else Khabib has fought up to this point.

Gaethje, on paper, seems like the most dangerous match up, but I haven't seen his wrestling tested in an MMA context. Tony still seems to be the most dangerous match up as far as actual proof goes. He's insane and can submit anyone from anywhere. And is a big, strong dude with excellent cardio.

Matt Serra predicted that Max Holloway would beat Dustin Poirier.

Khabib could simply bludgeon Ortega standing for 5 rounds if he was remotely concerned about getting subbed by that tiny guy.

Khabib could probably walk into nearly any gym in the world and get his black belt in BJJ in a few months. His grappling is unparalleled in the UFC right now, a man in the weight class below him has nothing for him

lol brian" CTA/PED" ortega would get CONTROLLED on the ground, hell even in striking it will be one of the rare fight where khabib will have the advantage, brian's striking is so poor, so orthodox. Tony is a BY FAR a bigger threat to khabib ( figuratively and literally, tony is known to go to 200, he will probably be stronger than khabib ... )

Ortega hasn't subbed anyone even close to Khabib's level of grappling. Swanson has seven losses by submission FFS.

Just because Ortega submitted some average fighters in the ufc, he expects too submit an elite level wrestler? lmfao.. Maybe in 10 years from now.

Those are good picks. They both can give trouble to Khabib.

wut lul. ortega would get ragdolled. picked up. dumped on his head repeatedly.... he's good. but khabib would massively over power him.

justin seems kinda slow and sloppy. tanky and hits hard. but i think khabib grinds him down hard for 4-5 rounds til he gets the tko or sub.

tony i can see doing it with his awkward movement, strong chin, and a good enough ground game to avoid being tko'd or subbed. most likely lose via decision still but there's a chance he cuts khabib open and gets a doctor stoppage or luckily lands enough to get a split decision. otherwise i don't see anyone else.. maybe someone extremely explosive that lands the flash ko. i would say conor, but conors done. so i dunno

Gaethje for sure is a good style matchup and a good real world matchup.

Ortega's out of nowhere submission game is a good style matchup but realistically he is going to be outmuscled like crazy, and Khabib and his camp will be well aware of the sub game and likely won't be as loose with head position as he was against fighters like MJ and Poirier. I don't think it's much of a fight really.

Pretty dominant when every single active 55er that’s not Tony, feels like a big reach.

Even with Tony, I don’t envisage that match as close to even I did once before.

Matt Serra believes two fighters could solve the puzzle of Khabib Nurmagomedov. At a stellar 28-0 and holding UFC lightweight gold, Nurmagomedov has become one of the most dominant fighters in the history of mixed martial arts competition. He’s coming off a successful title defense against Dustin Poirier, submitting “The Diamond” in the third round.

Former UFC welterweight champion Serra took to the UFC Unfiltered podcast to make the case for featherweight Brian Ortega having a chance against “The Eagle.”

“Styles make fights. I was thinking, I was there over in Abu Dhabi with Khabib fighting Dustin Poirier and he looked dominant as all F,” Serra said. “It was something else, but styles make fights. So after that fight I’m thinking, Is there anything telling in the whole division that somebody can challenge him? [That] can really pose a threat. Two names immediately shot up in my head.

“One, Brian Ortega. I don’t give a f*ck what anyone says. That guillotine was tight as hell. I’d love to hear what Khabib says about it, but the fact that he had to go to his hip, he didn’t go straight up belly to ceiling cause he knows that could be it, he had to make him adjust his grip. That thing was tight, man! So if somebody who is a little more precise or a lot more precise--like Brian Ortega--in a transition with a takedown, he gets that arm around the neck, can he finish it?”

(Ortega has weighed in on the moment Nurmagomedov was in Poirier’s guillotine. “T-City” feels he would’ve finished “The Eagle” if he were in that position.)

Serra went on to say that fourth-ranked UFC lightweight Justin Gaethje could also pose some problems for Nurmagomedov.

“Who’s held down Gaethje and beat him up?” Serra continued. “Nobody. He’s so powerful, cardio never seems to be a problem. The way he puts his kicks and his hands [together]. He’s powerful with his fists.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...rs-who-can-give-khabib-nurmagomedov-problems/

wow what a breaking stuff. I mean no one could see that. Wow.

Khabib could probably walk into nearly any gym in the world and get his black belt in BJJ in a few months. His grappling is unparalleled in the UFC right now, a man in the weight class below him has nothing for him
Not so sure about that. You don't get Bjj belt for wrestling skills. Khabib has strong BJJ basics but never seen him do any black belt level transition on the ground. Even if Khabib beats black belts on the ground but that does not automatically mean he is black belt himself. His top game is obviously fine but we have never seen his bottom game because he is such a good wrestler. His bottom game might be purple belt level and because of that many elite instructors would not give him a black belt. I want to see Khabib earn black belt in less than 2 months under John Danaher, Rafa Mendes or Roger Gracie. Would never happen. Khabib barely ever trains in the gi. Faber was still a brown belt few years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back