What does P4P mean?

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Chael just made a video in which he said that the definition of P4P is simply who would win in a fight regardless of weight. I have heard this definition before. He argues that nobody should use the term to mean something else. But I think this is simply not how people generally use the term, including by Chael in the same video.

If the only question that matters is who would beat who, regardless of what weight class they are in, then of course Kongo, Kharitonov and Ryan Bader are higher P4P than Holloway, Khabib or Cejudo. The size difference is too big. Then the greatest P4P of all time are basically HWs or LHWs at best. Resume doesn't matter, by definition. GSP, DJ, even Silva, wouldn't cut it. Roy Nelson is under this definition higher than Demetrius. Roy Nelson higher than Amanda or Aldo. And so on.

But resume obviously does matter. The way it is used is more like: who is more accomplished relative to their weight and quality of competition overall. And in this regard it makes sense to say Amanda is higher P4P than Mark Hunt or whatever.

Last edited:
They are all equal in the eyes of Just Bleed God.

Chael just made a video in which he said that the definition of P4P is simply who would win in a fight regardless of weight.

This is literally as far away as you can get from the actual definition of P4P. If Chael actually said that (not gonna watch the video) he's even more retarded than I thought.

This is literally as far away as you can get from the actual definition of P4P. If Chael actually said that (not gonna watch the video) he's even more retarded than I thought.

He said that and then brought resume to bear, which is as far as I can see incoherent.

p4p is meaningless, either you can beat the guy or you can't.

For me it means who's the most skilled fighter

How good you are relative to your competition in your weight class(es) and how advanced is your own metagame.

Chael is talking about head-to-head comparison, which usually goes in favor of a bigger man.

P4P =/= H2H

if all fighters were the same weight, whoever is the most skilled/determined/strongest mental, would prevail

if all fighters were the same weight, whoever is the most skilled/determined/strongest mental, would prevail

So, what if we bloated mighty mouse into a HW? He would be morbidly obese and wouldn't beat anyone. Or if Stipe came to featherweight? That is not even possible.

Or you mean if their body types were all the same? Then they would have totally different skillsets, since speed, cardio and power are also relative to size, so we're talking about something that is even conceptually incoherent. DJ wouldn't have his speed, Cormier wouldn't have his strength, etc. Different abilities are relative to size. That doesn't make sense.

It isn't supposed to compare fighters from different weight classes h2h, if they were the same size. It's used to compare careers between fighters of different weight classes using strength of schedule and other metrics.

It's literally a comparison based on weight. A beetle is p4p stronger than an elephant. A pound of beetle is stronger than a pound of elephant. A pound of MM is better than a pound of Ben Rothwell. It's also fantasy bullshit. The reality is an elephant squishes a beetle and Ben Rothwell destroys MM.

It's literally a comparison based on weight. A beetle is p4p stronger than an elephant. A pound of beetle is stronger than a pound of elephant. A pound of MM is better than a pound of Ben Rothwell. It's also fantasy bullshit. The reality is an elephant squishes a beetle and Ben Rothwell destroys MM.

I have no idea how to make sense of what you just wrote.

If you took their weight and divided into equal units, and said units were equal, how would their relative pound relate to their fighting? For example an ant is p4p stronger than an gorilla. It a way to describe how a lighter weight can be relatively equal to a heavyweight based on their dominance of their competition.

IMO any fighting fighting multiple weight classes and dominating is a p4p great. DC is a p4p great. Unfortunately his body type doesn’t say it. His body of work does tho

If you took their weight and divided into equal units, and said units were equal, how would their relative pound relate to their fighting? For example an ant is p4p stronger than an gorilla.

I have no idea how to make sense of this either.

yes, only hw's can truly be on a real p4p unless some how khabib can beat stipe n shit. so the real meaning of p4p is that ur a fucking tool if u talk about it cause it's absolutely pointless and just something people do to gossip like little bitches.

Back