Recency Bias and Hyperbole

Protagoras

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m pretty burned out on the amount of recency bias we see in the MMA community, and the generally absurd amount of hyperbole.

Can we stop calling fighters who are on great runs the GOAT?

Can we stop over exaggerating the skill levels of current fighters versus those from the past?

Can we be at least slightly patient, and see how a fighter’s career pans out, and the way they handle different obstacles?

I get so tired of scrolling through a thread and seeing something like “x fighter has the best grappling in MMA, EVER,” or “if x fighters wins a couple more bouts they will be a serious contender for GOAT.”

These kinds of statements are totally ridiculous.

GOAT status is something you can only assign with a lot of perspective. Realistically it’s something you can only properly designate after enough time has passed and the entire context of a fighter’s career can be assessed.

I would go so far as to say calling any active fighter the “GOAT” is totally presumptuous and stupid. What happens if they clocked in their next fight?

I get that it’s a young sport with a passionate fan base, but come on guys. Use your brains here.

Agreed. We have people calling fucking khabib the GOAT. As if GSP doesn't exist or something.

Agreed. We have people calling fucking khabib the GOAT. As if GSP doesn't exist or something.

I’m not trying to stoke any fires here, but I will admit that this thread is partially inspired by the insane hype building around Khabib.

I have no particular fondness for GSP, and this thread is in no way related to GSP, but it’s a fair observation to make.

GSP was one of the most exceptional grapplers MMA history, as well as other greats, and yet you have people consistently throwing around the idea that Khabib is the greatest grappler in the history of the sport. Which just seems kind of patently absurd.

GSP took down every opponent he faced at will, and dominated every single grappling exchange except for a couple times (like when he got tapped by Hughes). And this was against grapplers known for their grappling ability, such as Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck.

How do you rank Khabib’s grappling over that?

I’m not trying to stoke any fires here, but I will admit that this thread is partially inspired by the insane hype building around Khabib.

I have no particular fondness for GSP, and this thread is in no way related to GSP, but it’s a fair observation to make.

GSP was one of the most exceptional grapplers MMA history, as well as other greats, and yet you have people consistently throwing around the idea that Khabib is the greatest grappler in the history of the sport. Which just seems kind of patently absurd.

GSP took down every opponent he faced at will, and dominated every single grappling exchange except for a couple times (like when he got tapped by Hughes). And this was against grapplers known for their grappling ability, such as Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck.

Exactly. People have super short term memories in this sport. Anyone can go back and watch every single one of GSPs 10 straight title defences, and you will see a better grappler against great wrestlers/Grapplers. People are insane.

They're all some Janet Jackson type fans on some what have u done for me lately

Ok, but can you at least concede that you are the GOAT TS?

Recency bias is hilarious. Woodley went from being the WW GOAT to overrated because of one loss.

At the end of the day, Fedor.

Last edited:
Recency bias is hilarious. Woodley went from being the WW GOAT to overrated because of one loss.

At the end of the day, Fedor.

Woodley’s career trajectory is sort of perfect example of what I’m talking about.

The guy pulls off a few razor thin or miserabley boring title defenses and people are throwing around GOAT status. It’s just totally insane.

Khabib has never lost. GSP was KO'd by Matt Serra. Also, GSP has been submitted. It is not a stretch to rate Khabib Nurmagomedov over GSP.

It took Khabib 7 years in the UFC to reach a 12 fight winning streak, despite injuries. It took GSP 10 years to reach a 13 fight winning streak. Khabib has to win 1 more fight and his UFC winning streak will be on par with GSP.

Basically, the only thing GSP has over Khabib is one more win on GSP's winning streak. However, Khabib has never lost in the UFC. So, the debate is way closer, and probably in favor of Khabib Nurmagomedov. Why? GSP was FINISHED by Matt Serra. Finished. LOL

Even Max Holloway versus GSP is a close discussion. They both reached 13 consecutive wins in the UFC. Max Holloway has been submitted like GSP, but he has never been KO'd like GSP.

The numbers are close, and they don't lie. They what I base my opinions on.

its not mma fans in particular. I just think the average person is fucking retarded. So you will have really retarded people in every sport.

A lot of people on here think Conor KOing Aldo was a "fluke"

pretty much says it all

Khabib has never beaten a high level wrestler while GSP eats them for breakfast. The resume speaks for itself IMO. Khabib is on a great run though but way too early to compare to GSP.

Khabib has never lost. GSP was KO'd by Matt Serra. Also, GSP has been submitted. It is not a stretch to rate Khabib Nurmagomedov over GSP.

It took Khabib 7 years in the UFC to reach a 12 fight winning streak, despite injuries. It took GSP 10 years to reach a 13 fight winning streak. Khabib has to win 1 more fight and his UFC winning streak will be on par with GSP.

Basically, the only thing GSP has over Khabib is one more win on GSP's winning streak. However, Khabib has never lost in the UFC. So, the debate is way closer, and probably in favor of Khabib Nurmagomedov. Why? GSP was FINISHED by Matt Serra. Finished. LOL
Lets not forget, Khabib has 2 title defenses......

......................two...............

GSP has I don't even know how many as well as a championship at MW.

GSP is above Khabib right now. I would say if Khabib beats Tony convincingly hes arguably ahead of GSP. If he beats Tony AND Just G, then I would say its beyond debate. Khabib is the GOAT of GOATS

Even Max Holloway versus GSP is a close discussion. They both reached 13 consecutive wins in the UFC. Max Holloway has been submitted like GSP, but he has never been KO'd like GSP.

The numbers are close, and they don't lie. They what I base my opinions on.

Hmmm your numbers seem off lol. you do you though.

its not mma fans in particular. I just think the average person is fucking retarded. So you will have really retarded people in every sport.

A lot of people on here think Conor KOing Aldo was a "fluke"

pretty much says it all
It is reasonable to argue that McGregor KO'ing Aldo was a fluke. We have other examples of flash KO's that were reversed in the rematch.

Stop calling people retarded. It shows that you don't have a strong argument for your position, so you want to dismiss others with personal attacks.

It is reasonable to argue that McGregor KO'ing Aldo was a fluke. We have other examples of flash KO's that were reversed in the rematch.

Stop calling people retarded. It shows that you don't have a strong argument for your position, so you want to dismiss others with personal attacks.
{<jordan}

yea bro total fluke. a perfectly timed counter that Conor was practicing in the locker room before walking out, is a total fluke.

yea.

{<jordan}

CroCop headkick KOing Wand was a fluke too. Francis knocking out Cain and all his other opponents also fluke. All 3 of Justin Gaethjes last wins were flukes as well.

Matter of fact............every single KO win ever in history of any combat sport is a fluke. it could totes go different in a rematch so that means its a fluke.

GSP fought at WW: Khabib fight's at LW. Personally I think GOAT discussions are better served at each weight class.

Even MJ with all his bravado denied calling himself the GOAT because if you go by Rings you have Bill Russell with 11 rings and he was a center. If you go by Points and accomplishments Kareem is tied with MJ with 6 rings and he has the most points in NBA history also a center. Then you go by most dominant for a brief span Shaq jumps out(once again a center). Best shooting guard yep it's MJ. Most impactful player for improving the NBA's ratings/boosting the NBA's brand/biggest household name yep.

Big MJ fan and it is a team sports comparison to an individual combat sports (so it's not the same) but I would rather see more threads were it's people's Top 5 than the constant true GOAT threads with all the bickering.

Lets not forget, Khabib has 2 title defenses......

......................two...............
Title defense is a bogus criteria. Not all fighters get a title shot at the same time. GSP was given his first title shot after 2 fights in the UFC, and he lost. He was given his second title shot after 4 fights in the UFC, and he won. He lost his first defense by getting KO'd by Matt Serra.

Khabib Nurmagomedov was given his first shot at the title after going 9-0. If he was given his title shot after his 2nd fight, he would have 10 title defenses already.

Conclusion, title defenses is not a good criterion for judging greatness because different fighters get title shot opportunities at different times. It is not standardized. Therefore, consecutive winning streak is a better criterion than title defenses.

Back