Tony Ferguson off of his back

GreatSaintGuillotine

You may not like what I say but it's the truth.
@Gold
Reaction score
Stumbled across this video. Thought it was helpful for those interested in understanding Tony's game before the Khabib fight.

Things to look out for
Upkicks: frequently when not pressuring into him or controlling the legs

Knee shields: when being passed or after imanari roll recovery. Main defense from being passed. He tries inverted guard transitions into these.

Forward rolls: when in turtle he will try to roll away rather than base up.

Imanari rolls into leg lock threat: Low threat of actual submission just forces a scramble

Elbows: from closed guard. Most effective if the head is at chest level. Uses this a lot.

Rolling D'arce: lower success rate with these but still very dangerous.

Other Submissions: very rarely finishes from guard. Will attempt triangles and armbars if your posture is low.

I think we'll see a lot of the knee shields and rolls against Khabib. I don't think he'll have much opportunity to work his closed guard. Tony will be looking for that rolling D'arce from a front headlock for sure.

I hope Tony wins. I have never seen a fighter deserve a title as much as Tony. Cerrone Romero and Jacare as well.

I hope Tony wins. I have never seen a fighter deserve a title as much as Tony. Cerrone Romero and Jacare as well.

Jacare choked in his big fights

Cerrone just isn't good enough and gets smoked by the top guys

Romero had shots which he may not have been screwed by the judges on

I think we'll see a lot of the knee shields and rolls against Khabib. I don't think he'll have much opportunity to work his closed guard. Tony will be looking for that rolling D'arce from a front headlock for sure.
If Tony is going to have a chance, you're going to have to be wrong. Those kinds of wild techniques designed to create scrambles don't work on a guy with an extremely technical, smothering top game like Khabib.

I think you're right, though, and I think he will get dominated on the mat.

Jacare choked in his big fights

Cerrone just isn't good enough and gets smoked by the top guys

Romero had shots which he may not have been screwed by the judges on

Jacare didn't choke.

He's a real-ass competitor with 100% heart and grit.

This guy is not Donald Cerrone or Rory MacDonald.

The fights he lost he lost because he was outmatched, not because something was off mentally.

If Tony is going to have a chance, you're going to have to be wrong. Those kinds of wild techniques designed to create scrambles don't work on a guy with an extremely technical, smothering top game like Khabib.

I think you're right, though, and I think he will get dominated on the mat.
I think Tony will try this for 2 rounds then adjust and focus on that rolling D'arce. I think he's banking on that front headlock bringing him a W.

Knee shields and guard retention never hurt but I don't think it'll bother Khabib

I think Tony will try this for 2 rounds then adjust and focus on that rolling D'arce. I think he's banking on that front headlock bringing him a W.
It's tough to sprawl out to a good front headlock with your back pressed against the cage. Khabib will start to put punches on him late in the second after taking him down repeatedly for 8 minutes. Tony's in for a long night.

Khabib gassing in the 4th and 5th are his only chance imo.

It's tough to sprawl out to a good front headlock with your back pressed against the cage. Khabib will start to put punches on him late in the second after taking him down repeatedly for 8 minutes. Tony's in for a long night.

Khabib gassing in the 4th and 5th are his only chance imo.
Yeah he's not taking the early rounds from Khabib. He needs to tough it out and try to make Khabib work and gas

I like Tony but I don't think he has much of a shot at all on the ground. His best chance is to catch Khabib on the feet which seems pretty damn hard as well

Stumbled across this video. Thought it was helpful for those interested in understanding Tony's game before the Khabib fight.

Things to look out for
Upkicks: frequently when not pressuring into him or controlling the legs

Knee shields: when being passed or after imanari roll recovery. Main defense from being passed. He tries inverted guard transitions into these.

Forward rolls: when in turtle he will try to roll away rather than base up.

Imanari rolls into leg lock threat: Low threat of actual submission just forces a scramble

Elbows: from closed guard. Most effective if the head is at chest level. Uses this a lot.

Rolling D'arce: lower success rate with these but still very dangerous.

Other Submissions: very rarely finishes from guard. Will attempt triangles and armbars if your posture is low.

Really cool vid, thx.

Now honestly... if Tony iminari rolls for a leg lock..... isnt Khabib gonna defend and possibly slap on his own leglock? Isnt Khabib base sambo??

Khabis is about to pray to his friend bear cause Tony will kick his ass!

I honestly doubt any of that stuff works on khabib

If Tony is smart he keeps the fight standing at all costs, thats where he can win

Really cool vid, thx.

Now honestly... if Tony iminari rolls for a leg lock..... isnt Khabib gonna defend and possibly slap on his own leglock? Isnt Khabib base sambo??
Tony has never been successful with those. It'll just be his defense to a TD

This fight comes down to one thing in my mind. Whoever can maintain forward pressure is winning.

At the same time though, Tony can fight moving in any direction and has endless cardio.

this is how Tony Ferguson lives his life:

You're right. Tony gets hit every fight and keeps coming. Tony faces adversity and keeps coming. Tony bleeds and keeps coming. Khabib has never bled. What will he do when Tony slices and dices his big head? Quit, that's what.
usa-today-9382984.0.jpg

this is how Tony Ferguson lives his life:

He has such incredible cardio he can't get KO'd. The entire sequence he's trying to defend himself extremely quickly. He's 100% aware even when he's rocked. You're right bro, Tony is a fuckin' savage. Good find. Wasn't even remotely close to being finished. I change my Khabib pick to I don't know I'll straddle the fence until fight night.

(Nah I got Khabib but need to watch)

Last edited:
Back