Joanna on Zhang beating Andrade, why she turned down the fight with Zhang and fighting Zhang.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
The former champion recalled how she predicted that Zhang would defeat Andrade to claim the title in Shenzhen the day before the main event took place.

“The day before this fight happened between [Jessica] Andrade and [Weili] Zhang, I said that this fight was going to end in the first round and I put my money on Zhang,” Jedrzejczyk told MMA Fighting’s Eurobash podcast.

“I know how strong Jessica Andrade is, and I was surprised by how big Weili Zhang is. Jessica Andrade is kind of short but she’s very muscular; she’s a big girl for the strawweight division, but Weili Zhang is very strong, she has big guns. When I saw Jessica training ahead of the fight on her social media, I was really not impressed. I was like, ‘Oh sh*t if she really wants to defend the belt she should be put in more,’ but she didn’t do that.”

Zhang’s title shot against Andrade came out of left field for many fans and media members, and Jedrzejczyk admitted that she turned down fight offers for Zhang as she felt it would have sidetracked her from getting her hands back on the championship title she had previously held.

“She’s good, but the truth is they offered me Weili Zhang three times before that fight and the thing is, she needed me. Okay, she’s the champ now so it might look like she never needed me to become someone. Sometimes people are like, ‘Do you know who she is now?’ Of course I know who she is, but I fight in the Octagon, you know? I’m a professional athlete, I’m a businesswoman and I know who I am. I don’t do fights on Twitter. If [others fighters] call me out, I like it because I know I am in a strong position. Why are they calling me out? Because they know I can bring them to a different level. Maybe they can be lucky and win against former UFC champion, a dominant champion, which I was. [That would allow them to] get better money, get better exposure. Of course, they offered me Weili Zhang, but my goal was to fight for the belt. I took my spot, now I’m fighting Waterson and then I will go for the belt. Slowly, step-by-step, I will reach my goals and my dreams,” she said.

“The thing is, there is a new UFC Performance Institute in China, so they probably needed a good fight and they just gave the title fight to this Chinese chick. She won, good for her; I’m very happy for her. I think she’s very strong, she’s very dynamic and she’s a good puncher. I hope she’s going to be a good champ for the UFC and the division before I face her.”

The Polish striking supremo also shared her thoughts on Zhang claiming that she “wasn’t as good” as when she was champion in an interview the newly-crowned champion conducted in Abu Dhabi in her capacity as a guest fighter at UFC 242.

“You all should ask her why she was calling me out,” said Jedrzejczyk. “These girls think they can talk when they have the strap, they talk whatever sh*t they want to talk when you are losing, Look at how many of them wanted to call me out when I lost to Rose, they were like, ‘Now we can beat Joanna because she lost’. When I was a dominant champion, they were trying to get the belt, but nobody could keep the pace with me when they faced me. They can talk whatever they want, I’m too classy and too serious for all that bullsh*t.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Who knows if Joanna Contender can even make 115 again with those new funbags.

I personally find Joanna Gatekeeper to be extremely annoying. She tries to act like she was classy and respecting the other fighters only to contradict herself right after. She is still salty af because she lost twice to Rose.

I thought Joanna didnt know who Weilli was

Weili knocks her out so bad her fake tits explode

this shit makes me die every time.
i hate using the word "cringe", but my god Joanna.

Last edited:
Joanna ducked Zhang, and now it's Joanna who needs Zhang

Well she ducked Zhang when she wasn't the champ so she doesn't deserve her now.

Careful guys when you diss JJ. Her fans will gather here like moths around a flame and get really pissed at everyone not saying she's the goat. The 3 of them.

What percentage of male highschool wrestlers with zero MMA training could beat up the baddest 115lb woman on the planet? Less than or greater than 50%?

You all should ask her why she was calling me out,” said Jedrzejczyk. “These girls think they can talk when they have the strap, they talk whatever sh*t they want to talk when you are losing, Look at how many of them wanted to call me out when I lost to Rose, they were like, ‘Now we can beat Joanna because she lost’. When I was a dominant champion, they were trying to get the belt, but nobody could keep the pace with me when they faced me. They can talk whatever they want, I’m too classy and too serious for all that bullsh*t
Struggling to figure out wtf she means by this. When I had the belt they wanted to fight me and when I lost they wanted to fight me?

{<huh}

Well she ducked Zhang when she wasn't the champ so she doesn't deserve her now.

Doesn't necessarily follow. If she strings together some high level wins, she will deserve a title fight just like any other contender would.

Doesn't necessarily follow. If she strings together some high level wins, she will deserve a title fight just like any other contender would.

Some being the key. As the former champion, one would've been enough under usual circumstances. But since she ducked Zhang she shouldn't be given special preference.

"I’m too classy and too serious for all that bullsh*t."

{<jordan}

Weili would send her back to instagram after she rearranged her face

She'll have to do it with ground and pound, she's an inferior pure boxer to both Joanna and Rose.

And to all of the people talking about a KO, did she KO Danielle Taylor or Tecia Torres? She Ko'd Andrade because Andrade charges at you with her chin up in the air fully exposed throwing wild punches.

JJ is the UFC SW GOAT and I want to see Zhang vs JJ in 2020.

Joanna turned her down because Zhang was the definition of High Risk, Low Reward for her

Which is smart and understandable on Joanna's part, but at the same time it's sort of counterproductive to the sport

Back