Anthony Pettis 'in a good spot' after Nate Diaz loss, wants Diego Sanchez in 2019

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – Despite his loss to Nate Diaz at UFC 241, former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis believes he’s still “in a good spot.”

Saturday, the Roufusport product confirmed recent claims made by his head coach. Earlier this month, Duke Roufus said Pettis (22-9 MMA, 14-9 UFC) is eying a fight with “The Ultimate Fighter 1” winner Diego Sanchez (29-12 MMA, 18-12 UFC).

In Pettis’ eyes, the contest makes sense because both men have the flexibility to fight at 155 or 170 pounds. “Showtime” would prefer a matchup with Sanchez take place at welterweight, a weight limit he only has to lose six pounds to hit. Pettis would like to see the fight take place by the end of 2019.

“I’m a good spot right now where I could make 155,” Pettis said. “Like the Nate Diaz fight, I only fought him at 176 pounds. I only gained six pounds with my weight cut. I want Diego Sanchez. That’s what I told Duke.

“One more fight before the end of the year. I tell myself three big fights this year. He’s available. At 155, there’s no one available for me. I want to stay busy.”

Why is Pettis calling for a fight with Sanchez? The UFC welterweight said he wants to give the fans the matchups that would interest them most. In Pettis’ opinion, that would make three “killer” opponents he’s faced in a row.

“I feel like especially the fans want to see it,” Pettis said. “That’s what it’s all about. If the fans want to see the fights I choose, then it works out. Look who I just fought. From (Tony) Ferguson, (Stephen) ‘Wonderboy’ (Thompson), Nate Diaz … even before that, I was fighting killers.”

Even though he’s been calling for a return to the cage in 2019, Pettis said he hasn’t talked to the promotion yet about any specific matchups. But he has talked to UFC president Dana White, and also said he has heard the promotion will be having a matchmaker meeting soon that could result in a booking.

“I haven’t talked to the UFC yet,” Pettis said. “I reached out to Dana about it. They’re supposed to have a matchmaker meeting, so if it works out, it works out. If not, we’ll find out. There’s a lot of good guys, but I feel like Diego deserves that kind of fight. He’s been around a long time.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

You might criticize me but i have the feeling like Pettis only fights for money, he's hesitant to really go in and most of the time he just keeps getting repetitively outscored, just kinda waiting for the 1 good shot like Overeem, but the difference is there aren't many shots that you can put guys out at once at WW.

Damn Diego Sanchez? should have also called out CM Punk and Matt Hughes. Sissy.

<DisgustingHHH><{cruzshake}><DisgustingHHH>

Last edited:
I’m fine with this fight. Not psyched. Not bummed. But fine.

Both are at the back end of their respective careers, Diego more than Pettis. Kind of a weak call out considering Pettis will have a considerable size and striking advantage. I think it could be a good fight though and neither are going to be making a title run so why not? James Vick is another good fight for Pettis.

Damn Diego Sanchez? should have also called out CM Punk and Matt Hughes. Sissy.

<{cruzshake}><DisgustingHHH><DisgustingHHH>
Well he trains with Punk and obviously wants no parts of those hands.

{<RR}

Calling out Diego in 2019 is like calling out Penn is 2011.

<{CMPALM}>

I mean there's got to be a better name than Diego right? Idk maybe it'll be competitive. I doubt it but why not, fuck it

"Being in a good spot" and calling out Diego Sanchez in 2019 don't belong in the same sentence. Sounds more like he's desperate to fight someone older and more shopworn than himself.

It would be funny/happy (for Diego) and sad for Pettis if Sanchez has just enough left to LnP Pettis, Guida style, and walk away with a UD or SD.

"Being in a good spot" and calling out Diego Sanchez in 2019 don't belong in the same sentence. Sounds more like he's desperate to fight someone older and more shopworn than himself.

It would be funny/happy (for Diego) and sad for Pettis if Sanchez has just enough left to LnP Pettis, Guida style, and walk away with a UD or SD.

Damn if that’s a good spot i dont even want to imagine a bad one.

Good fight too see where both fighters are at, for this stage of their careers.

Pettis would be the favorite over a 2009 Diego Sanchez, never mind a 2019 Diego

It's not the strongest call out, but surely Pettis has earned an easier fight than who he's been fighting lately.

Back