Better Comeback: Ngannou or Gaethje

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Both fighters rose to stardom with a fan-favorite win (Gaethje/Johnson and Ngannou/Reem), only to then lose back to back in bad fashion. Since then, each fighter has won 3 in a row via KO, all in the first round and all in spectacular fashion. But who did it better?

With their backs to the wall, both Ngannou and Gaethje won their first fight by blasting their opponent with a right hand from hell.

3NpIn.gif

giphy.gif

For their second fight, they each fought a guy who was supposed to be a bad matchup. Barboza's elite striking was supposed to overwhelm Gaethje, and Cain's wrestling, stamina and pace was supposed to drown Ngannou. Instead, both Barboza and Cain got immediately shut down and KOed. Barboza was out-kicked and Cain's takedown attempt was stuffed. Both KOs also had their share of controversy (Gaethje's eye poke and Cain's knee).

FantasticPinkGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

EagerBreakableBackswimmer-size_restricted.gif

For their 3rd fight, both Gaethje and Ngannou knew that victory meant a title shot. With the title in mind, both fighters left their opponents curled in a ball waiting for the ref to save them.

justin-gaethje-reacts-after-his-knockout-victory-over-donald-cerrone-picture-id1174729885

ngannou_dos_santos.jpg

My answer is Ngannou. There just seems to be no way to deal with him unless your name is Stipe. At least witth Gaethje there is the question of how his wrestling will hold up against Khabib. Ngannou's wrestling has already been tested plenty by Blaydes (twice), Cain, and Reem's clinch attempts.

A healthy knee'd Cain though....

His knee was healthy. Ngannou cracked him on the head which led to him being out on his feet and his leg going down on a weird angle. Cain himself has confirmed this.

<mma4>

That's a tough call. I might go with Justin just based on the fact that he isn't known as a KO artist that puts guys away early. He's made some big changes in strategy and it's paying off.

His knee was healthy. Ngannou cracked him on the head which led to him being out on his feet and his leg going down on a weird angle. Cain himself has confirmed this.
That's not what I'm referring to, or speculating on. Fact of the matter is, Cain has suffered injures in the past. I'm saying we'll never know if a younger Cain could have beaten Francis.

That's not what I'm referring to, or speculating on. Fact of the matter is, Cain has suffered injures in the past. I'm saying we'll never know if a younger Cain could have beaten Francis.

What would he have done differently? Do you think he takes Ngannou's punches 5 years ago? He never had the best chin or defense.

What would he have done differently? Do you think he takes Ngannou's punches 5 years ago? He never had the best chin or defense.
I have to agree. The style matchup doesn't change, and Ngannou is not the same type of puncher JDS is.

Well Cain lost to Jnr first time. Then beat teh shit out of him the next two bouts. You never know how things will pan out in mma.

I'd like to hear @Calipwnia make a come back.

Frankie
He beat 2 former champions, one of which is considered a goat

Ngannou needs to rematch Lewis and Stipe to redeem himself

I have to agree. The style matchup doesn't change, and Ngannou is not the same type of puncher JDS is.

JDS is more technical than Ngannou, but the difference is he has to set up his power punches and can't fight moving backwards. Ngannou has insane power, can counterpunch, and can knock fighters out anywhere the fight goes. We saw that when Cain tried to clinch with him. Cain's pressure actually works against him in that matchup because it makes him easier to hit. Most fights he can just absorb the strikes to get to where he wants the fight, but you can't do that against Ngannou.

Ngannou. Cain, Blaydes and JDS are better wins collectively than Vick, Barboza and Cerrone imo. He also hit rock bottom after the Lewis fight, while Gaethje still was regarded relatively highly after the Poirier fight, which makes his comeback even more impressive.

Well Cain lost to Jnr first time. Then beat teh shit out of him the next two bouts. You never know how things will pan out in mma.

I'd like to hear @Calipwnia make a come back.

Cain lost to JDS by trying to box with him at range in the first fight. He won the rematch by pressuring him and spamming takedowns, since JDS relies on space to time his power punches. We saw what happened when he tried to pressure Ngannou and go for a takedown. Even at close range the guy throws fight ending punches. I just don't see any version of Cain that has the defense or chin to survive the way Stipe did and tire Ngannou out.

I am going with Gaethje because the Ngannou/Blaydes fight was kind of a weird ending.

Very good thread and question @A.S. Deep , that is a hard one to answer. Both have had great comebacks, Ngannou looked so flat and bad against Stipe and Black Beast, and Gaethje was getting used as a punching bag against Eddie and Poirier, now both of them have had some great wins and finishes... its a very close call. I might just say Ngannou because I think he has fought slightly better guys on his win streak, but its very close and hard to say.

<mma4>

That's a tough call. I might go with Justin just based on the fact that he isn't known as a KO artist that puts guys away early. He's made some big changes in strategy and it's paying off.

18 of 21 wins by Justin are by KO/TKO. 9 of which are in the first round...

Gaethje, he's beaten a far higher quality of fighters since his losing streak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back