CNN does a story about how Michel Pereira became a star in defeat

Goodfella86

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am not what you'd call a "CNN guy," but I check in here and there to see what they're pushing. I went on their website and came across this story on Michel Pereira.

This is an article written by Harmeet Kaur. Dont know who he is, but even if he's barely a fan and was assigned to cover a story from the fight, he got it wrong. It seems like he was shown a short video of Michel's acrobatics in round 1 (which the crowd did appreciate, to be fair), and then wrote a story about it. He did write that Connelly walked away as "champion," so maybe he's not a fan at all. Regardless, this is a botch.

Look at that first paragraph about how he won over the crowd lol.
Michel Pereira was basically flying in his UFC fight against Tristan Connelly
By Harmeet Kaur, CNN

Posted at 1:46 PM ET, Sun September 15, 2019

190915133127-01-michel-pereira-0914-medium-plus-169.jpg

Michel Pereira is suspended in mid-air during his faceoff against Tristan Connelly at UFC Fight Night in Vancouver on Saturday.

(CNN) — Michel Pereira may have lost to Tristan Connelly at UFC Fight Night in Vancouver on Saturday night, but he certainly won the crowd -- and the internet.

The 25-year-old Brazilian fighter put on a wild show during his fight against 33-year-old Canadian native Connelly, with a performance that featured backflips, superman punches, and flying knees.
Pereira's stunts just barely stopped short of full-on breakdancing and looked more like a gymnastics routine than an MMA fight.
The people watching couldn't get enough.

WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

1f1e7-1f1f7.png
@UFCPereira is MUST WATCH TV! #UFCVancouver

1,288 people are talking about this

"Pereira is like when you just spam buttons on the controller. That's how he fights," ESPN combat sports reporter Marc Raimondi wrote on Twitter.

Seriously, just look at this cartwheel that evolves into a backflip.

1f923.png
Michel Pereira is out here doing gymnastics routines

9:09 PM - Sep 14, 2019

5,409 people are talking about this

"I don't care what you say. Michel Pereira is a treasure and I will protect him," Fernanda Prates, an MMA writer for The Athletic, wrote.

This is a real photo from a real UFC fight.

9:23 PM - Sep 14, 2019

3,127 people are talking about this

But all those acrobatics caught up to Pereira, and he seemed to run out of energy by the end. Connelly walked away the champion in a unanimous decision.

The theatrics weren't for nothing, though. The faceoff between Pereira and Connelly was crowned Fight of the Night.

Connelly was asked about his own strategy in the face of Pereira's performance.

"You can't stop against him and you can't back up against him," Connelly said at a news conference after the fight. "Those are two things I knew. I knew that he, like ... I've been training with capoeira guys for a long time and they're all like, 'Man, what he's trying to do is get you to freeze so he can hit ya.' So I just knew I had to be in his face."

Connelly also suggested that people shouldn't expect to see him doing backflips anytime soon.
"I knew I wasn't going to do any show like him. I'm a fighter," Connelly said. "Like I said in a couple interviews beforehand, if doing backflips was what I believed important in fighting, I'd be great at backflips, but I couldn't do one to save my life. I practice punching people, choking people and kicking people because that's what seems to work in most of the fights I watch."

There's no way this journalist watched this fight. There's no way someone watches that fight and decides to write this story instead of the Connelly story (unless, of course, it was a calculated move that they figured might hurt Trump in some way.)

The mainstream masses with no mma interest would definitely be intrigued by someone doing backflips in a UFC fight- even I am intrigued by it.

Having said that, the mainstream masses would be even more intrigued by one of the best general underdog stories and UFC debuts ever. Furthermore, the crowd was rocking for the hometown hero. He "brought the house down," as they say.

Last edited:
He did some crazy stuff in the first round then got his ass beat. Yeah it was all cool looking but basically ineffective and inefficient

yeah cnn never speaks on mma related shit pretty much ppl r gonna cry cuz they don’t like perreria but this is big exposure

His flying knees and jumps off the cage were cool because they were actually offensive attacks

Doing a gymnastics floor routine while your opponent stands across the cage waiting for you to finish = stupid

I mean I feel like the bigger story was the fact that Connolly came off 5 days notice looking a weightclass under against a exciting prospect he was supposed to be a highlight reel against, and with all the cards stacked against him....the guy goes out and does it!

He did some crazy shit, gassed himself out and lost to a non-UFC LW who took the fight on 5-days notice... and he lost out on a 50k bonus. I don't think he became a star at all, he looked like a retard.

Idc, I thought it was funny as hell watching that shit. I know he lost and gassed and ultimately it was because of all his unnecessary antics, but at the end of the day it was entertaining as hell. The whole room roared when he did some of his flying whatever shit, its entertainment. He's 1-1 in the UFC (with a awesome KO and a decision loss) and has 30+ pro fights, he knows what he's doing and he's just trying to gain some fans.

Would you rather see a guy do back flips and dance in the cage to gain fans OR see a guy with a MAGA hat saying he hates Brazilians and acting like an asshole to gain fans?

If it's from CNN and you question the validity then the jokes on you. The single largest piece of garbage and propaganda "news".

I'm all for the theatrics and acrobatics but they mean zero if you lose and show little heart in the process.

I also liked hearing about how Connelly works at EA and teaches the staff BJJ. He's gonna have maxed out stats in the next UFC game.

The better story is Connolys, a guy who was once 5-5, turned his career around in his 30's, got the call to fight in the big show on 5 days notice, in his hometown, was a heavy underdog, fought at a higher weightclass against a much bigger opponent that missed weight.....and he broke him. And took home 100K for his performance. That was the story the reporter should have told, not the one about some dancing idiot who cant make weight, clearly losses to a smaller fighter then him, then protests the judges decision.

That shit was awesome, of course is gonna make headlines, shame that he gassed.

I mean I feel like the bigger story was the fact that Connolly came off 5 days notice looking a weightclass under against a exciting prospect he was supposed to be a highlight reel against, and with all the cards stacked against him....the guy goes out and does it!
Yes! That was awesome to see him deal with a much bigger and stronger opponent. Great underdog story, Connolly made a lot of fans with that performance

95% of the roster could go in there and backflip like a moron. You don't see fighters doing this shit for a reason. The dude accomplished nothing with his offence and got beat buy LW on 5 days notice.

I thought the fight was horrific, that garbage wouldn't get on the dark bouts on King of the Cage events. Embarrassing watching it, and he was gassed upon his entrance into the octagon, he was already breathing hard just before Buffer started to announce them. Circus stuff

He has been beat by many random cans because he was doing kartwheels and chimp jumps and then was gassed to death after a few minutes on the smaller MMA shows.

I am not what you'd call a "CNN guy," but I check in here and there to see what they're pushing. I went on their website and came across this story on Michel Pereira.

This is an article written by Harmeet Kaur. Dont know who he is, but even if he's barely a fan and was assigned to cover a story from the fight, he got it wrong. It seems like he was shown a short video of Michel's acrobatics in round 1 (which the crowd did appreciate, to be fair), and then wrote a story about it. He did write that Connelly walked away as "champion," so maybe he's not a fan at all. Regardless, this is a botch.

Look at that first paragraph about how he won over the crowd lol.

There's no way this journalist watched this fight. There's no way someone watches that fight and decides to write this story (unless, of course, it was a calculated move that they figured might hurt Trump in some way.)

The mainstream masses with no mma interest would definitely be intrigued by someone doing backflips in a UFC fight- even I am intrigued by it.

Having said that, the mainstream masses would be even more intrigued by one of the best general underdog stories and UFC debuts ever. Furthermore, the crowd was rocking for the hometown hero. He "brought the house down," as they say.
It's quite amazing, a guy who only fought twice in the UFC(and in the prelims) is getting so much attention. If any of you havn't seen the fight, watch it on some stream. The crowd was going crazy when he was doing somersaults and back-flips. At the end of the fight a lot of the crowd was on their feet. I'm sure that was not just because of the LW who won it on 5 days notice.
Of course the idiot just tired himself out but people absolutely love that kind of WWE acrobat stuff.
Seriously can anybody remember the weigh in's? Only Priera missing weight and almost falling on his backside doing a backflip.

lol ... You allow CNN into your life

the dude is 23-10 with most those losses coming in smaller organizations,basically hes been a journeyman in the brazil regional circuit. i mean if they want to make a belt for flashiness maybe he can compete for that, Flashiest mutha F-er belt, points awarded to creativity not damage, so basically a dance battle

Back