If Darren Till loses to Gastelum, the pro's & cons? (Stock at stake as opposed to records & titles)

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend and we were saying about this fight with Gastelum being a big thing to do while going into MW after a loss to Woodley and Masvidal in his home country, he's really at the point where he's trying to rectify things with a high risk, his reward situation.

One of the things he said was "Yeah but if he loses people are going to be less interested to want to see him fight again now" which was a very valid point and made me think as his stock is at stake here.

He is only 26 so it's not like he can't take a step back, come back and win, he hasn't been around years now on a landslide but it would all depend if people would still want to see him fight or if that would lessen a lot now after the hype has been derailed.

It's not always titles and records that are at stake in fights but things like this also play a part, specially when you've been built up previously and had so much momentum.

I think personally if he did happen to lose he could either come back with a vengeance later down the line after taking a step back or if he didn't do this then winning a good streak of fights (and I mean a good streak) could eventually get people starting to want to watch him fight again, I'd love to know what you guys think?

Got way too much hype for beating Cerrone. Will never sniff a title shot again in a real organization.

FOOKCHIN ANYWUN N EVADY WUN EHH DOWNT KEHHH

Got way too much hype for beating Cerrone. Will never sniff a title shot again in a real organization.

He'll never be far from a title shot because the UFC wants a few Europeans near the top of the sport. He'll get a shot with a couple good wins

Thompson fight was tragic, he put away poor little 1555er Cowboy, sucks but Till's stock about to hit hit the floor

Gastelum is going to knock him the fuck out. What a dumb fight to take.

I have a hard time imagining Till winning this. His hype train got derailed a while back though, I think his stock is mostly already tanked

Thompson fight was tragic, he put away poor little 1555er Cowboy, sucks but Till's stock about to hit hit the floor

You're the only one who's actually answered in regards to the topic of the thread lol

Yeah, it's like whether the hype was the reason or not people were all wanting to watch Till, talk about him, he had stock basically.

But like the comment my friend made which I quoted in the OP it's very valid, and there's more at stake here for Till importantly in that way than titles or records.

Appreciate that :)

I have a hard time imagining Till winning this. His hype train got derailed a while back though, I think his stock is mostly already tanked

Yeah (and you also in regards to the topic of the thread, thank you!).

Do you think he could get that back though? I mean as it stands with this Gastelum fight I do think his stock is there (people want to see it and are talking about it) however after this is pretty much the thing ain't it and how/if that can be rectified :)

The move to 185 makes a lot of sense. What I don't understand understand at all is that he is immediately fighting the #4 ranked guy (not to mention a heavy hitter like Gastelum after 2 straight KO losses).

The move to 185 makes a lot of sense. What I don't understand understand at all is that he is immediately fighting the #4 ranked guy (not to mention a heavy hitter like Gastelum after 2 straight KO losses).

Yeah, it's his more natural weight for sure, Kenny Florian spoke about this recently with Cub Swanson really well here.

However if he loses, are people going to be interested to fight him still after this or is his stock really at stake here (more important than records and wins at this point).

He loses to Fatstellum and it's the bars and 100lbs of weight in 5 years for him. He could be a star in Conor's UK Barfight series...

We've seen guys lose 3 in a row and come back and be great again.. but generally those arent brutal KOs. That's the issue here.. you can only take so many of those. Very rare exceptions are Overeem and Arlovski. But HWs are different

He loses to Fatstellum and it's the bars and 100lbs of weight in 5 years for him. He could be a star in Conor's UK Barfight series...

You not reckon he could rebuild his fight interest if he happens to lose if he takes a step back and then comes back? He is only 26, that's the thing about this which makes it quite interesting :)

He'll never be far from a title shot because the UFC wants a few Europeans near the top of the sport. He'll get a shot with a couple good wins
UFC likes the Euro market. Bisping got a lot of favors for this reason.

We've seen guys lose 3 in a row and come back and be great again.. but generally those arent brutal KOs. That's the issue here.. you can only take so many of those. Very rare exceptions are Overeem and Arlovski. But HWs are different

Yeah, you're absolutely spot on there and make a great point.

I mean, lets say he loses to Gastelum, a lot of people want to see this fight at the moment cause it's his move to MW, he's only had the two losses at the moment but if he does lose is his stock more importantly at stake (which as we know is important to a fighters career), like when his next fight is announced after his loss to Gastelum, are people going to care?

It would be that he would have to rebuild either by stepping back, taking time out and coming back looking ridiculous or he'd have to win a few fights people aren't overly investing in and slowly over time bring people back from that way, it's interesting but I do think this is more at stake than anything.

Good post :)

UFC likes the Euro market. Bisping got a lot of favors for this reason.

This is true (and I don't disagree) however we have Leon Edwards doing quite well now too and although there isn't any other British fighters massively high up in their divisions yet (Arnold Allen isn't doing too bad) but there's alternatives too now to build we can think about :)

It feels like such a dumb fight for him to take but then you look at the rankings and there are alot of nightmare matchups for him at this weight.

Who cares? He should fight the best if he is the best. If he loses he can bulk up even more lean for 185 and do better. He doesn't have a perfect record, so why are people trying to protect him? I personally think it's closer than people think.

Back