How will this new version of Gaethje fair against Poirier in a rematch?

Portland8242

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The new Gaethje looks extremely good. Same thing last night, instead of just putting his head down and going full berserker mode winging crazy shots and taking crazy amounts of damage, he exercised great patience picking his shots and used great timing to pick off and put away Cowboy in under a round.

Count that as 3 first round KO's for this new version of Gaethje.

I really think the Poirier rematch is the fight to make while Khabib/Tony do their thing. How do you predict it going?

As soon as he get hits he bites down and goes for it.

He could very well beat Dustin but just as easy get stopped again.

New justin is a myth - same old same old when he gets hit hard. Bad habits are pretty damn near to impossible to correct.

It'll be interesting. The first fight was pretty damn evenly matched. Justin's problem was that he was willing to just stand and absorb shots from Porier.

I still think it's a bit of a toss up. Both guys have major firepower and inconsistent defense.

This might be the fight to make because let's face it, Conor isnt cumming back to fight either Justin or Dustin, if he even comes back at all.

If Gaethje sits until a title shot, he could be waiting for a year, if he even gets a TS.

Dustin said last night he'll give Gaethje rematch. I don't think Gaethje has responded yet?

Justin could have KO’d both Eddie and dustin within a few minutes but wanted to put on a war to entertain the fans

Gaethje bless

New justin is a myth - same old same old when he gets hit hard. Bad habits are pretty damn near to impossible to correct.
I don't think that's true, I think the step up in comp and losses made him reevaluate his game and skills because he looks way sharper than before IMO

The first fight just came down to one well executed counter as Gaethje went to the well one time too many.

Gaethje's alot more measured now but Poirier remains dangerous.

I don't think they should fight again for a while though. Poirier just got his shot and could stand to rebuild momentum.

Justin takes it..while it’s true he fights on instinct, he is also a very cerebral fighter...he will not make the same mistakes again..

Dustin probably beats him again, it won't be easy tho...

dustin beat him again ... justin didn't even ask for the rematch to avenge his loss, he knows poirier is a bad match up

Even if you believe that, what’s most notable about “New Justin” isn’t the patience as much as it is the power. Nobody else in the history of the lightweight division has demonstrated anything near this sort of power, at least against ranked opponents.

It'll be interesting. The first fight was pretty damn evenly matched. Justin's problem was that he was willing to just stand and absorb shots from Porier.

I still think it's a bit of a toss up. Both guys have major firepower and inconsistent defense.

I agree. The first fight was strange, because even though Poirier was probably winning heading into the fourth round, he was almost in desperation mode as a result of those ruthless leg kicks.

I think I would narrowly favor Gaethje in a rematch. I wouldn’t be shocked if Poirier was able to get it done again, but they’re closely matched foes and JG has the momentum this time.

The fight to make for Dustin right now is not the JG rematch though. I would say Iaquinta if he was available, and since he isn’t it’s probably Donald Cerrone actually IMO.

DUstin has proven that he can take Gaethjes best shot. It would go exactly the same as the last fight, Dustin weathering the storm and taking over once Gaethje gasses.

Back