Conor squandered his prime

Ruke Doufus

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How different do you think his legacy could have been if he had actually defended his titles?

Back when he had just won them, I think he had a real chance at defeating some of the top contenders in each division. At this point he seems to be washed up and has lost a step so there's little hope of him ever regaining a title with the current crop of fighters at the top.

What a damn shame.

Should’ve stuck around at Manlet Weight and none of this would’ve happened...

E625647A-0476-4D68-9B50-26BB45A421F0.png

Criticizing the career of the most successful MMA prize fighter to date

ji6qi2p.gif

We've lost an exciting fighter and a dynamic personality and in his stead stands an addlepated whiskey salesman.

How different do you think his legacy could have been if he had actually defended his titles?

Back when he had just won them, I think he had a real chance at defeating some of the top contenders in each division. At this point he seems to be washed up and has lost a step so there's little hope of him ever regaining a title with the current crop of fighters at the top.

What a damn shame.
He never gave a shit about title defenses. Ask DJ where all his title defenses got him, he ended up getting traded to Singapore for Ben fucking Askren.

Conor understood that this sport is prize fighting. Making the right moves and taking the fights with the most financial payoff. This sport is sports entertainment, it's WWE with loose story lines and unscripted fights.

Talk the talk, walk the walk, and make that walk fucking exciting.

Conor said it since day one. Get rich, get out. That's exactly what he did.

As people who non-stop bitch about fighter pay we should be happy for Conor. He helped put money in other fighters pockets and helped bring exposure to fighters who were on his cards. He made millions in a sport where fighters need second jobs to survive.

4-5 years he went from welfare in Ireland to one of the highest paid combat sports athletes of all time.

??? He's one of the most known combat athletes on the planet for better or worse. You had boxing dudes saying he wouldn't last one minute with Floyd grudgingly admitting MMA dudes would do 10x better than their boxing counterparts if the roles were reversed. No one had him sleeping Aldo - no one. Only his hyberbole fakeish fans predicted such nonsense. No one expected him to sleep Eddie either. It's revisionist history now but prior to those fights he had fought nobodies and champions would wreck him.

His fight with Khabib was a defense, he did not deserve to be stripped. Just like how he's still the lineal FW champion, no one's taken that from him yet. I'm not even a fan of the dude, these are just facts.

He could of defended the FW belt for as long as he could of made the weight

Not the LW belt though. He really had no business being the champ, he was gifted his title shot and would of never been able to fight his way thru the division

Should've stayed at 145 and made an occasional foray to 155 for easy matchups like Alvarez

He'd probably be in the GOAT discussion if that happened

He never gave a shit about title defenses. Ask DJ where all his title defenses got him, he ended up getting traded to Singapore for Ben fucking Askren.

Conor understood that this sport is prize fighting. Making the right moves and taking the fights with the most financial payoff. This sport is sports entertainment, it's WWE with loose story lines and unscripted fights.

Talk the talk, walk the walk, and make that walk fucking exciting.

Conor said it since day one. Get rich, get out. That's exactly what he did.

You're not wrong; however, the question was how different his legacy could have been if he actually tried to compete for glory aka legacy instead of just money.

his main focus is on milking his fans and not legacy

yeah right, 100 mil in the bank sounds squandered to me. wish i would have squandered my prime like he did.

Just like how he's still the lineal FW champion, no one's taken that from him yet. I'm not even a fan of the dude, these are just facts.

How would you.like someone to take that from him? He literally hasn't fought at that weight since winning the title

I guess Frank shamrock and GSP are still the lineal champions of their divisions

They might as well just fold up the WW and MW divisions since GSP is still the champ. Don't think anyones taking those belts from him any time soon

Yeah, what a pathetic loser.

He made like 100 million boxing against a pillow fisted dude that couldn't finish him when he was too exhausted to hold his hands up

I think he made a decent choice

the guy made over $100,000,000 as a fighter... not sure I'd necessarily call that "squandering" his career.
<36>

Yea he really wasted his prime making over a 100 million dollars..

It doesn't matter how many times a fighter defends a shiny trinket, it matters who they beat.

He should have went to Hollywood as soon as he beat Eddie Alvarez. He was a hot commodity.

Back