MMA Journalist with Law Degree Dismantles Joe Rogan's Stipe HW GOAT Theory

Are you more or less inclined to believe Stipe is the HW GOAT now compared to a week ago?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.

-MMAFighting.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody gives the fuck about this journalist. He was calling DC the heavyweight goat before he lost.

Why the fuck are you posting him here?

I agree with pretty much everything in the article except for the Jon Jones statement.
How does the mere existance of Jon diminish Stipe? lmfao, Jon has declined to fight at HW numerous times and spent the last year beating up Middleweights. How does a fantasy match-up impact actual fucking legacy?

But yeah, Fedor is obviously and by far the HW GOAT - anyone claiming Stipe is even close to what Fedor did is simply a noob or delusional.

The fucks a law degree gotta do with anything?

Well... The current Hw champ got dominated from A to Z by a smaller, fatter, older pre-retired fighter.... That ain't no GOAT material and if anything that show how the HW division is weak

I've never read anything from this guy but if this is the type of shit he writes, i certainly never will either. I've seen better counter arguements to Stipe being the GHOAT here on sherdog of all places, this reads like something a teenager would write.

One fact is often overlooked for some reason:
Fedor basically had 2 parallel mma careers going on and he was the king in both of those careers. He was also the sambo king of the world which is nothing but mma.

Journalist with Law degree? He made some valid points, but does the law degree matters in this context? ( I also have a LL.M. but I actually work as a lawyer not as a journalist).

If Jon Jones thought he could beat Stipe he'd already be up there trying. After struggling hard with Thiago Santos he knows Stipe would knock him into orbit and doesn't want none of that

I mean Rogan works for the ufc he has to sell the product to the customers.
So yeah ofc the current champions are "goat" status.

Don't forget after all its the entertainment industry

Jones gets way too much credit for a dude that is yet to fight heavy...yes he cleaned out the lite heavy division, but let's not forget about his tainted pico cheating ass...also Stipe beats Jon anytime they fight...

Jed Meshew KOs Joe Rogan

If you watched UFC 241 then you undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan hammering home the idea that Stipe Miocic is the greatest heavyweight of all time. He said it so many times that it felt like he was trying to will it into existence more than that it was an outright fact, and that’s because he was. Stipe is not the greatest heavyweight ever, though his comeback win over DC was a huge step towards claiming that title. However, that title has been in the same place it’s been for the past 15 years, with Fedor Emelianenko.

Stipe Miocic has had a great run and with the win over Cormier has moved solidly into second place on that list but there are a number of factors at play that make me think Fedor is still solidly the GOAT.

1. Recency bias is damn near overwhelming in MMA. It’s why Rogan insists Max Holloway is the GOAT featherweight despite that being obviously absurd on its face. Just because he’s the most recent, doesn’t mean he’s the best.
  2. Stipe’s run is a little inflated. It’s not his fault but Stipe happened to rise to prominence amid an era of fading older glory. Jon Jones suffers from this too. All his best wins come over guys who are very clearly past their prime and still occupy the top of the division because heavyweight has a dearth of talent. Fedor’s resume is littered with trash and outmatched competition, but he also has wins over a number of all-time greats at the peak of their powers.
  3. His title streak was only three years. Rogan harps on how Stipe is the most-accomplished heavyweight ever, which is technically true (though also technically he and Randy Couture have the same number of heavyweight title wins), but is one of those stats that really doesn’t mean much. It means he’s defended the belt three times which, when you think about it is really an indictment of the UFC’s heavyweight division more than a shining example of Stipe’s greatness. Fedor was the undisputed HW king for damn near a decade.
  4. He doesn’t have a mystique -- and never has. Stipe Miocic is the best heavyweight in the world. And at no point in time has anyone ever thought, ‘Wow, he’s gonna kill that guy’ about the next opponent. Fedor, on the other hand, was thought to be invincible for a decade. Now, admittedly, this is a very subjective measure to bring to a GOAT debate and has a lot to do with personality but I genuinely think stuff like that matters, even if it’s small.
  5. Jon Jones exists. Low key one of the biggest knocks on Stipe’s entire run as heavyweight king is the fact that Jon Jones exists and would probably knuckle Stipe up in decided fashion. It’s hard to be seen as the baddest dude on the planet when probably the best fighter of all time would come and take your cookies at any moment, should he so choose.
Stipe is an all-time great and substantially better fighter than I probably give him credit for, but he’s not the GOAT and he’s never been the GOAT. Beating DC, a legitimate top-5 heavyweight near his prime is a big step towards getting there though and if he wins a couple more, maybe I’ll start giving the claim credence.

-MMAFighting.com

While I am of the same opinion, I really don't think Jon can simply move up and beat Stipe.
Matter of fact, I think that those who dismiss Miocic (against Jon) are lunatics.
Stipe got better boxing than nearly everyone Jon faced. He got good TDD and is one of the biggest dudes Jon ever faced. Quite similar to Gus actually, but improved almost everywhere. And we saw what Gus did to Jon (in their first fight).

No, Miocic is not even close to Fedor yet, but this measure of what would happen with Jon is a ridiculous way to prove it.

Any little bitch with rich mommy and daddy can get a law degree.

Fedor's record littered with trash but he beat HW in their prime.
But, if those prime HW's records are also littered with trash, does it really mean a lot ?

ssunnamedjpg-c748a9_1280w-640x360.jpg

Stipe is bigger, more skilled and has better wins than fedor with less embarrassing losses to less bad fighters

He’s still amazing but fedor doesn’t quite match up

Back