The perfect fighter to beat Khabib Nurmagomedov

VIPERdude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
With what you have seen in Khabibs game throughout 5 rounds. Taking into account who he has fought and who he dominated to a finish or beat to a decision, if you were able to train a fighter to beat him OR if you were to create a fighter in general realistically which attributes would you need and preferred style.

Cliffs: CREATE A FIGHTER THAT WOULD BEAT KHABIB IN A 5 ROUND FIGHT <Moves>
You dont have to get as detailed as me. My main picks are all italics.

My thought: In order to beat Khabib in reality in a 5 round fight, not stopping him but beating him in a decision not being stopped by him one would need to have the perfect game plan, and implement that for an entire 5 rounds unless you can put him to bed. Most fighters would love nothing more than to finish The Eagle but in their heart of hearts they know they are likleuy going to be for 3 rounds at least a grueling pressured pace.

You need very high success in take down defense for when he grabs you, Khabib likely will get ahold of you between round 1-3. His style has shown even he has struggled to keep up that continued pace against a fighter that is unwilling to quit like the heart of an Al Iquinta for example.
You would need Dominick Cruz or TJ Dillashaw like foot work so you can navigate the cage making Khabib chase you.
I would say if you also had a significant reach advantage, such as the reach of Jon Jones to control distance would be enough but thats not the entire key to Jons success its his ability to hand fight and grab the hands with using that reach.

I think a boxing style like Robbie Lawler capable and looking for that one punch knock out sounds nice but I wouldnt prefer it in this case. I think that just gives Khabib more time to make calculated decisions, look what Colby could do with that free time. I feel volume would be the best approach. Crisp boxing like Max Holloway that comes off in volume your opponents time to reset goes out the window.

Lastly, better cardio over better kicking. I heard Justin Geathje say if he fought Khabib he'd chop his legs off. Maybe, but Barboza among others had great kicking games and they could not get anywhere because Nurmagomedovs timing is too damn good, youre asking to be on your back. I would want Tony Ferguson cardio. The guy is on a historic win streak for a reason. Even though he is hittable, he can be hurt, taken down etc. Regardless Tonys cardio seems to get better as the fight progresses. Which is an insane fact.

No need to create a new fighter, just make him move up.

jsect2.gif

With what you have seen in Khabibs game throughout 5 rounds. Taking into account who he has fought and who he dominated to a finish or beat to a decision, if you were able to train a fighter to beat him OR if you were to create a fighter in general realistically which attributes would you need and preferred style.

Cliffs: CREATE A FIGHTER THAT WOULD BEAT KHABIB IN A 5 ROUND FIGHT <Moves>
You dont have to get as detailed as me. My main picks are all italics.

My thought: In order to beat Khabib in reality in a 5 round fight, not stopping him but beating him in a decision not being stopped by him one would need to have the perfect game plan, and implement that for an entire 5 rounds unless you can put him to bed. Most fighters would love nothing more than to finish The Eagle but in their heart of hearts they know they are likleuy going to be for 3 rounds at least a grueling pressured pace.

You need very high success in take down defense for when he grabs you, Khabib likely will get ahold of you between round 1-3. His style has shown even he has struggled to keep up that continued pace against a fighter that is unwilling to quit like the heart of an Al Iquinta for example.
You would need Dominick Cruz or TJ Dillashaw like foot work so you can navigate the cage making Khabib chase you.
I would say if you also had a significant reach advantage, such as the reach of Jon Jones to control distance would be enough but thats not the entire key to Jons success its his ability to hand fight and grab the hands with using that reach.

I think a boxing style like Robbie Lawler capable and looking for that one punch knock out sounds nice but I wouldnt prefer it in this case. I think that just gives Khabib more time to make calculated decisions, look what Colby could do with that free time. I feel volume would be the best approach. Crisp boxing like Max Holloway that comes off in volume your opponents time to reset goes out the window.

Lastly, better cardio over better kicking. I heard Justin Geathje say if he fought Khabib he'd chop his legs off. Maybe, but Barboza among others had great kicking games and they could not get anywhere because Nurmagomedovs timing is too damn good, youre asking to be on your back. I would want Tony Ferguson cardio. The guy is on a historic win streak for a reason. Even though he is hittable, he can be hurt, taken down etc. Regardless Tonys cardio seems to get better as the fight progresses. Which is an insane fact.
Khabib has one of the best gas tanks in the UFC. if you planning on beating him with pace i dont think its possible cause in order to do so the difference in cardio should be huge and its not. were not even sure tony has a better gas tank.

To beat khabib i think you need someone like Usman or prime GSP.

Colby was taken down by RDA many times. I think Khabib takes him down easier and controls him.

Tony is too sloppy and might even get finished standing with an overhand or some shit.

Tonys cardio, jose defensive wrestling and tdd, gsp fight iq, and prime lawler striking

Prime Aldo beats Khabib @ LW. In fact, Khabib even declined this fight

Tonys cardio, jose defensive wrestling and tdd, gsp fight iq, and prime lawler striking
Lol at listing 3 of the best traits that ever existed in MMA and combining with Lawlers striking ??

Elias Theodorou hairline, Conor cardio, Ngannou ground skills, Artem reach.

Every fighter looks unbeatable in MMA when he's on top. Then once he's beaten people wonder why they thought he was unbeatable.

A lightweight sized Aldo would cause him lots of problems. Prime Alvarez would have been interesting too. And of course there’s Ferguson.

Back