Conor should stop trying to fight for titles

killakillakilla

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously which is more valuable?

A. A ufc belt
B. The ability to make so many millions of $ per fight

In the years that Conor has remaining to be able to fight, there will be many ufc champions but I doubt there will be a ufc fighter that can make money like Conor.

He should give up trying to be the best fighter and just focus on fights that will be entertaining and that he can win like vs Iaquinta or Cerrone or maybe Pettis; fighters like that. That would be better for his career. It doesn’t matter if Conor is fighting for a belt, he will still make more money fighting than anyone else.

Last edited:
Usually he waits till he wins the title before he stops fight ing for them

Titles don’t mean shit any more anyways. Since Bisping held a title for 2 years, ducking real contenders, the best MW’s were fighting for interim titles and non title fights.

Until belts can regain their former value, just go for big name fights like Diaz called out Mas.

You realise he's earned that money because he became the best fighter at FW and then became a 2 time simultaneous champ?

He's made money because he was the best.

Well he did got stripped of both his belts, yet the ufc really wants him to be champion even though he'll never defend it..

Compared to GSP who defended for years,

yet doesn't want to go through the hassle of defending against the elites in the modern era

if he did come back and beat someone like Khabib. Which is unlikely.. A drained GSP at 155 will end exactly like Henry Vs TJ

He could beat Holloway at FW and then retire, or give up the belt immediately and state he will have a few more money fights (Cowboy, Diaz trilogy etc).

Seriously which is more valuable?

A. A ufc belt
B. The ability to make so many millions of $ per fight

In the years that Conor has left to fight, there will be many ufc champions but I doubt there will be a ufc fighter that can make money like Conor.

He should give up trying to be the best fighter and just focus on fights that will be entertaining and that he can win like vs Iaquinta or Cerrone or maybe Pettis; fighters like that. That would be better for his career. It doesn’t matter if Conor is fighting for a belt, he will still make more money fighting than anyone else.

niether.
fight for the love of the game.
A) you're a slave to yourself => internal desires
B) you're a slave to money => external desires
or
C) you're free

He could beat Holloway at FW and then retire, or give up the belt immediately and state he will have a few more money fights (Cowboy, Diaz trilogy etc).
If he can make featherweight then this is the smart play for him.

You realise he's earned that money because he became the best fighter at FW and then became a 2 time simultaneous champ?

He's made money because he was the best.

That might’ve contributed to his wealth but the real reason he makes the big bucks is because he knows how to entertain and engage people better than any fighter in history. GSP and Anderson were champs for years, Jon Jones, but none of them come close to making Conor money. Why do you think that is?

He can, it’s just that he got comfortable at LW (easy to make weight). Holloway rematch at FW for the title, then giving it up immediately and fight Cowboy at LW and Diaz at WW and then retire. He would go down as the FW goat or at least top 3 (beating Holloway twice, beating Aldo, Mendes, Poirier and also becoming double champ by winning the LW title).

Right now things don’t look to optimistic though.

He can, it’s just that he got comfortable at LW (easy to make weight). Holloway rematch at FW for the title, then giving it up immediately and fight Cowboy at LW and Diaz at WW and then retire. He would go down as the FW goat or at least top 3 (beating Holloway twice, beating Aldo, Mendes, Poirier and also becoming double champ by winning the LW title).

Right now things don’t look to optimistic though.
This should be his plan but imo he has a massive ego and he won’t accept that khabib and Ferguson are too much for him.
If he goes to 145 and beats max He’s arguably FW GOAT.

I just wanna see him fight at this point.

See this kind of hits on my point. Instead of dropping to fw, Conor can just challenge Max at LW. Max would be happy to move up to LW and they will make just as much money as if the fight were at fw for the belt. The title belt doesn’t matter.

I’m not convinced that Conor can beat holloway these days though

What’s that old saying?

“Play to your strengths”

Conor is not the best mma fighter in the world. But he is the best at entertaining and making wealth from mma. That is his strength and he should focus on that rather than trying to prove he’s the best fighter, which he is not.

if you want a UFC belt really bad, you feel great pain when you lose.
if you fight for the money, you lose love for the game and you become miserable, fighting becomes work instead of what you love to do.
if you fight for the love of the game, you're happy... always

great thread though btw.

Last edited:
That might’ve contributed to his wealth but the real reason he makes the big bucks is because he knows how to entertain and engage people better than any fighter in history. GSP and Anderson were champs for years, Jon Jones, but none of them come close to making Conor money. Why do you think that is?
Because of entertainment, but Irish people were on Conor from the jump. He was hugely popular before the UFC, the kid is not only talented, but just has the charisma.

None of those guys ave that charisma.

if you want a UFC belt really bad, you feel great pain when you lose.
if you fight for the money, you lose love for the game and you become miserable, fighting becomes work instead of what you love to do.
if you fight for the love of the game, you're happy

great thread though btw.

Thanks!

They have all trained for years and are fighting because they love too. But fighting comes with multiple concussions, injuries, great potential to shorten a fighters lifespan or at least destroy their quality of life after repeated punches to the head. Making money is a necessary component of this equation.

Because of entertainment, but Irish people were on Conor from the jump. He was hugely popular before the UFC, the kid is not only talented, but just has the charisma.

None of those guys ave that charisma.

That’s my point. Conor has that special charisma that no other fighter has. That’s way more valuable than a title belt.

That’s my point. Conor has that special charisma that no other fighter has. That’s way more valuable than a title belt.
I feel like thts disappeared ever since the Mayweather fight....

I feel like thts disappeared ever since the Mayweather fight....

I mean, how many threads do you see about Conor here daily? I bet if you count how many news articles have been written about UFC fighters since the Mayweather fight, The highest percent were written about Conor. People still want to see Conor.

Back