When will Khabib be mentioned in GOAT discussion?

Me&MrJones

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
27 fights
27 wins
0 defeats
0 USADA violations
11-0 in UFC
Fought Iaquinta on short notice
UFC Lightweight Champion
Deals perfectly with trash talk
Starts pre-fight press conference on time
Jumps out of cage to set things straight
All the way from Dagestan
Whoever wants some they can tweet location

Never have we seen this.

People talk about him. He hasn’t been champ for long yet though, and only really started getting top fights recently. In his defense on that, I really do think people were ducking him in the past

I'd say if he can beat El Cucuy and retired undefeated we may hear his name in those convos. GSP is still the GOAT though imo.

Because there is this type of guy

BIWVWS.jpg

Last edited:
If Khabib beats Fergie then he is UNDOUBTEDLY MMA GOAT, although you could argue that he’s in contention now.

Never. What has a achieved, did he move up to challenge Usman or something, or did he defend the title like 8-9-10 times? His father even said that Khabib will retire in a year and they want a fight against GSP who is 36 years old or something. Why dont you go up and challenge Usman?
He will be forgetten after he retires in a year.

if he beat dustin and tony, he would be 29-0 in the most stacked division ever, win over a 12 fight winning streak that is tony ( never seen before), he become the GOAT in my opinion, but it is very UNLIKELY, dustin will KO him in the 3rd round.

When he has a few more wins against top 5 guys. Conor and rda are great wins. al, mj, and Edson are good but not legacy breaking

Again, as with so many so called "GOAT contenders", he NEEDS more (and more!) QUALITY WINS, above all successful TITLE DEFENSES.

I think he is awesome, but still... in a GOAT conversation, his resume is not the most impressive. He won the belt against Iaquinta, defended it against Conor. Before that, it's RDA and Barboza... hmmm... and then... Michael Johnson?!?

At this point, it simply doesn't compare to the bodywork of GSP, Silva, and above all, Jones (yeah, I know... but still...)

He needs more elite wins. Just doesn't have the resume of guys like GSP, Fedor, Jones, Silva or even the second tier guys like Aldo and DJ yet

If he beats Dustin and follows that up by beating Tony though, I think people will start taking him seriously as a GOAT contender

I certainly will. At the moment though, you could argue he isn't the best fighter in his own division until he beats Tony

clean out the division beating Poirier, Ferguson, and going up and beating Colby Covington

If he convincingly beats Stipe them he will be the GOAT.

Only lost one round in the UFC, hes already the LW GOAT - Tony is the only other guy in the conversation. Will be considered the GOAT by the time he retires.

12 of Khabib's fights were in major promotions. He's been in 1.5 title fights. The resume just ain't there.

Now in terms of 155 he's arguably not just in the discussion but the answer but that's cause BJ, Frankie and Bendo set the bar very low IMO and being undefeated for any extended period of time is enough to put you in the discussion.

If he beats Poirier, Ferguson and Gaedjthe he gets my vote. 30-0 against those killers. Hard not to give him props.

I don't agree that a fighter needs to go up in weight to be a GOAT contender. Nothing wrong with being the best guy in a specific weight class.

If he can't make weight at some point then he can move.

So to answer TS's question:

When (and of course, if) Khabib beats
- Poirier
- Ferguson
- Gaethje (or whoever emerges as the next title contender)
- then another top contender (Gillespie or whoever emerges, again) / or maybe challenges the 170 belt, and wins...

... that will be when he is in serious GOAT discussion.

Needs to beat Poirier and Ferguson. If he does it convincingly he might move past Jones in goat discussion.

Back