Stipe's wins have to be put into context : they're not that great

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Sherdog being Sherdog. Now that Stipe beat 40 yo Cormier, he's now the GOAT... Please.. Let's take a look at his wins

Cormier - Great win, great fight. He got ko'd in their first context so there has to be a trilogy (my opinion)
Ngannou - Good win, he survived Ngannou's early storm and beat him.

Dos Santos - Beat him when he was on the downside of his career. At this point Dos Santos was fighting once a year for 4 years, coming off a KO loss against Overeem and decision victory over fuckn ben rothwell..

Overeem - We all know the best version of Overeem was Ubereem. After that, he got KO'd by Bigfoot Silva, Travis Browne and Ben Rothwell.. Aint no pride in taking that man's head clean off

Fabricio Werdum - Do we even have to discuss this embarrassing loss for Werdum ? He was coming forward with his chin up, begging to be clipped. Oh, and remember people considered him GOAT HW at one point..

Andrei Arlovski - Glass chin being repeatedly KO'd before

Mark Hunt - Ahem..

So basically Stipe has a great resume on paper, but if you look closer and put things in perspective, you realize most of his opponents were old glories or washed up fighters.

His two credible wins are Cormier and Ngannou. Which made me think that Fedor only had two great wins also : Minotauro and Cro Cop. Guys, let me tell you that Big Nog and Crop Cop are far more impressive wins : One of them is a BJJ god, the other one is a K1 legend. He beat them both with their weapons, at their peak.

Conclusion : Fedor > Stipe

EDIT : Cormier is indeed 40, not 42 as I said.

Last edited:
Sherdog being Sherdog. Now that Stipe beat 42 yo Cormier, he's now the GOAT... Please.. Let's take a look at his wins

Cormier - Great win, great fight. He got ko'd in their first context so there has to be a trilogy (my opinion)

Dos Santos - Beat him when he was on the downside of his career. At this point Dos Santos was fighting once a year for 4 years, coming off a KO loss against Overeem and decision victory over fuckn ben rothwell..

Overeem - We all know the best version of Overeem was Ubereem. After that, he got KO'd by Bigfoot Silva, Travis Browne and Ben Rothwell.. Aint no pride in taking that man's head clean off

Fabricio Werdum - Do we even have to discuss this embarrassing loss for Werdum ? He was coming forward with his chin up, begging to be clipped. Oh, and remember people considered him GOAT HW at one point..

Mark Hunt - Ahem..

So basically Stipe has a great resume on paper, but if you look closer and put things in perspective, you realize most of his opponents were old glories or washed up fighters.

His two credible wins are Cormier and Ngannou. Which made me think that Fedor only had two great wins also : Minotauro and Cro Cop. Guys, let me tell you that Big Nog and Crop Cop are far more impressive wins : One of them is a BJJ god, the other one is a K1 legend. He beat them both with their weapons, at their peak.

Fedor beat a prime Sylvia and Arlovski. Those are great wins.

the ufc hw division has literally always been weak.

He beat who he was offered.

Obviously Fedor is better but doesn't really matter right now. I'm more concerned that he had a bad fight with DC. Wasn't a good performance by either of them. but DC has an excuse he's on the verge of retirement.

The Ngannou win was great.

Francis was on a tear.

The others, you do have a point.

I agree that Fedor is still the greatest HW. DC is up there too, but lost a bit of steam with this latest fight. Stipe is one of the greats though. He has to be in the discussion in a generally weak division, throughout most of its history.

giphy.gif

"Stipe only has losses and NC's"

- DC Cormier fans

Sherdog being Sherdog. Now that Stipe beat 42 yo Cormier, he's now the GOAT... Please.. Let's take a look at his wins

Mark Hunt - Ahem..

When you say shit like this, you make every one Stipe has beaten sound insignificant.

Mark Hunt - Ahem..

Why are you acting like the Werdum win wasn't a big win? Werdum had won his last 6 up to that point, and had out-cardio'd Cain in Mexico to get the belt. Furthermore, if you qualify a win over Big Nog as a good win because he is a "BJJ god", what do you call Werdum? Werdum has much more impressive jiu jitsu credentials.

Fedor beat a prime Sylvia and Arlovski. Those are great wins.

Yeah well i've always thought that they were kinda suspect but you're right. Those are good wins. Cro Cop and Big Nog were legendary though

You also gotta consider the losses imo. A loss to struve is bad, but not as bad as losses to hendo (for a HW) and fabio fuckin mambojambo.

You speak of werdum's embarrassing loss to stipe, but forget that werdum made fedor tap.

Yeah well i've always thought that they were kinda suspect but you're right. Those are good wins. Cro Cop and Big Nog were legendary though
Crocop vs Fedor was the biggest matchup ever made. Not necessarily best fight ever but it had glimpses of greatness like the inside leg kick when Crocop went for his high kick. That was beautiful.

Not that great, but still better than most, you mean.

JDS probably has the best resume, but Cain whooped him. Cain's resume is not that great outside those 2 fights. Werdum whooped Cain, but got beat by Stipe. Sylvia and AA dominated the UFC in the mid-00's during the latter half of the Pride era, and those resumes were junior varsity compared these guys.

So feel free to argue that his run is unimpressive, as long as you admit to yourself and others that it's still better than everyone else's.

TLDR: everybody sucks. :(

You also gotta consider the losses imo. A loss to struve is bad, but not as bad as losses to hendo (for a HW) and fabio fuckin mambojambo.

You speak of werdum's embarrassing loss to stipe, but forget that werdum made fedor tap.
yeah, he lost fights out of his prime. So what.

Also he's Werdum, he's fucking good and always was.

Yeah maybe the conclusion is that HW division is so weak that everyone's resume is not that impressive.

What i wanted to say is that Cro Cop and Big Nog wins, at that time and in that context, were amazing. I can't say Stipe has the same legacy .

He has to beat Cormier a third time, maybe Ngannou a second time, and get himself another solid win. Against who ? i don't know, the division is messed up and has been saved by Cormier

Why do people insist on diminishing an athletes accomplishments as opposed to supporting them? Believe it or not, it's possible to claim Fedor as the GOAT without shitting on Stipe & his opponents <{hughesimpress}>
To "put things into perspective, "Reem was on a 4 fight win streak with 3 ko's when Stipe beat him.
Arlovski, a 6 fight win streak when Stipe beat him.
Werdum was & still is a GOAT candidate. Stipe ko'd him moving backwards.
Francis got completely overwhelmed, the gameplan Stipe used was Couturesque.
DC is not 42. He just turned 40 & is one of the most accomplished athletes in the sport.

& finally, Dos Santos & Hunt were faded. But it's not as if Stipe had any trouble dispatching of them.

Typical fedor fan . Devoid of any logic and still can’t explain why the guy got exposed 3 times in a row in strikeforce in his mid 30s . Bader knocked out fedor with one punch

Cormier - 7 fight win streak, lost 1 round at HW, never lost at HW though
Ngannou - 10 fight win streak, finished everybody in the UFC before Stipe fight
Dos Santos - Nobody else in division at the time (8-2 in last 10 fights), just a way to show that Stipe had improved from the first fight
Overeem - 4 fight win streak
Werdum - 6 fight win streak, champion of the world
Arlovski - 6 fight win streak before Stipe fight

Depends on how you look at it. Another Fedor thread, not a shocker tbh

cro cop can’t wrestle worth a damn . Stipe would finish him lol . The juicer would get rekt

The Ngannou win was great.

Francis was on a tear.

The others, you do have a point.

No it wasn't. He literally just laid on Francis and on for dear life, for 5 rounds.

It was so bad that the ref had to tell him multiple times to do something.

Back