Did Daniel Cormier waste to much energy on taking down Stiopic?

he just didn't listen to his corner and the gameplan, which was to keep taking the fight to the ground

Wasn’t going to go his way regardless.

Stipe was fresher and able to stop the late takedown attempts, so either way DC was in for some tough championship rounds. He even got taken down himself.

he just didn't listen to his corner and the gameplan, which was to keep taking the fight to the ground
He tried.

Failed. Lost the wrestling exchanges late.

No, he's been wrestling all his life. He just thought he was invincible and tried to walk Stipe down with his hands low. You just don't do that shit, especially not at HW.

It was exhausting enough that it wasn't smart to try it again. Everyone says he should have taken Stipe down and the only time he managed to do that is by lifting him up (he likes to do that) but he gassed even without doing it more than once. He had nothing on Stipe in the clinch. Only other way how Daniel does it is tripping/single leg but i don't see him pulling that off on Stipe unless he blasts him in the face strongly enough first.

Possibly, but he wasn't really doing anything too counter Stipe's body shots in the 4th.. He could of shoot for the single leg, like the Lewis fight.. he has Khabib in his gym.. he should fight like him.. Don't give up on wrestling.. No matter what you see in the fight, or how you feel.. Wrestlers are usually always champions in the modern era of ufc, except for small exceptions like Jones, & Holloway.

It took more out of his tank than he expected that first round.

giphy.gif

Possibly, but he wasn't really doing anything too counter Stipe's body shots in the 4th.. He could of shoot for the single leg, like the Lewis fight.. he has Khabib in his gym.. he should fight like him.. Don't give up on wrestling.. No matter what you see in the fight, or how you feel.. Wrestlers are usually always champions in the modern era of ufc, except for small exceptions like Jones, & Holloway.
Jones is a wrestler and so is stipe

Jones is a wrestler and so is stipe
Yes but they tend to be more strikers, more often than not.. Sure they are more of a wrestler than Justin Gaethje.. But i'm saying guys who use that aspect of their game for 80-90% of their fights.

I feel his cardio is far worse than at LH..just my opinion. and when really pushed..he faded.

Yes but they tend to be more strikers, more often than not.. Sure they are more of a wrestler than Justin Gaethje.. But i'm saying guys who use that aspect of their game for 80-90% of their fights.

Jones has shown in previous fights, when he chooses to take the guy down..he does...and usually stops them or submits them.

He wasted too much energy looking for the KO.

No matter how much boxing he trains, he will never be as comfortable in that kind of striking war as he is in a grappling heavy fight. He's a wrestler and can do that all day long, hence why Bob Cook was screaming at him to go for takedowns. That's what would have gotten him the win. Even just mixing it up more would have done it.

Jones has shown in previous fights, when he chooses to take the guy down..he does...and usually stops them or submits them.
True, like the Gustaffson one which isn't too long ago, and i believe he took down smith a few times too? but i didn't care too much for that one.. I don't even think i seen it lol

yeah i said in the first round hes fighting inefficiently and dumb like he thought there was no way he could lose. taking shots, wasting energy on holding stipe up for no reason, wasted energy trying to go for a finish that definitely wasn't there it was all arms. after that round i felt like dc was way better but if he didn't put stipe away he was either going to take way to much damage or lose. and he lost.

I think the downfall of DC was ultimately taking too many shots when recklessly walking Stipe with his hands down.. there even was an uppercut from Miocic in tje 2nd when i thought oh sh*t, DC is in trouble.

He won the round, and then the 3rd, but it looked like something was missing inside of him. You just cant each punches lile that.

Back