Dana White Outraged by Rank Voting Disrespect Towards Cormier, Doesn't Want Him to Retire

Is it time for DC to retire?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – Daniel Cormier had previously promised to retire earlier this year, insisting he wanted to walk away from the sport before he turned 40 this past March. Naturally, after the loss, his future was very much in question, and Cormier said he wasn’t going to rush to a decision.

White said he believes Cormier has plenty left to offer the sport.

“I think he’s one of the best in the world,” White said. “I was looking at the (official UFC) rankings today when they came out – it’s just (expletive) insane to me! This guy on Saturday night was the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He loses and drops to No. 7, and he loses to the No. 1 heavyweight contender in the world, and the guy who has the most consecutive title defenses in UFC history, and Cormier drops to No. 7?! It’s crazy! He’s much higher than that, and he’s one of the best to ever do it. He’s still one of the best in the world.

“He looked damn good until, like I said the night of the fight, whoever came up with that ‘go-to-the-body’ gameplan in between rounds was (expletive) brilliant! Brilliant! It was even more brilliant the way Stipe executed it. So, yes, I think he’s one of the best in the world, and I don’t think he should retire, but that’s up to him and his family.”

White said he hasn’t spoken to Cormier since the fight. Ditto for Miocic.

“Cormier?” White asked. “I haven’t talked to him. The fight just happened. I haven’t talked to him [or] Stipe. I talked to (Anthony) Pettis today, but other than that, I don’t talk to any of the guys. I leave them alone, let them enjoy their family and do what they’re doing. It isn’t until, like, the bruises start to heal and all that (expletive) before they want to start talking fighting again, so I leave them alone.”

White said he won’t press Cormier into making a decision anytime soon. But if “DC” wants to try and take a series lead in a rubber match with Miocic – and assuming the current champ has the same intentions – White believes it’s a fight people will want to see.

“I’ll do anything (Cormier) wants to do, and obviously I’ll do anything that Stipe wants to do,” White said. “Stipe’s got to want the trilogy, too.”

-MMAJunkie.com

Okay Dana.

DC is still ranked #1 at LHW for the last 20 months despite not fighting there. Where's that outrage?

DC should probably hang them up, dude is a very good commentator and analyst and will most likely end up with an executive position in the UFC similar to Forrest.

hahaha fat tomato triggered. lets put conor in top 5 p4p fighters better am I right

Okay Dana.

DC is still ranked #1 at LHW for the last 20 months despite not fighting there. Where's that outrage?

It’s okay he’s a class act he’s allowed to stay in the rankings for however long he pleases

Every Cormier fan wants him to avenge his loss to Stipe, but I have a bad feeling that if Cormier sticks around longer, his further career is going to develop along a Fedoresque path. <{1-17}>

I'd say it's time to retire, Javier and Khabib were calling for him to retire after this fight too and they know Cormier much better than sherdoggers.

I'm interested in a trilogy fight, but honestly it doesn't really affect DC's legacy much, one way or the other. It won't make him the HW GOAT (not enough top-competition HW wins), and it probably won't make him #2 all-time. Finally, he doesn't have a big enough rivalry with Stipe to get big emotional payoffs from winning (like he would against Jones). Since Jones won't fight him at HW, and there are no more great HW fights available, he might as well retire. He's already got a great job when he retires.

Every Cormier fan wants him to avenge his loss to Stipe, but I have a bad feeling that if Cormier sticks around longer, his further career is going to develop along a Fedoresque path. <{1-17}>

I'd say it's time to retire, Javier and Khabib were calling for him to retire after this fight too and they know Cormier much better than sherdoggers.
I wouldn’t mind if that’s what he wanted to do. But he’s made it very clear he does not want to go on a slide before retiring. He wants to leave while fans remember him for what he was, a beast. And he wants to avoid accumulating long term damage that’s not needed.

If he still feels that way, how’s the time to leave. Dana white will always say “one more” because DC is a huge draw

If people are insisting Stipe is the best HW of all time then no shit he doesn't want him to walk away. According to them he's basically inches away from being considered the same. If he would have beaten Stipe the same shit would be said about him. Right now he's clearly one of the top 3 HW's on earth.

I wouldn’t mind if that’s what he wanted to do. But he’s made it very clear he does not want to go on a slide before retiring. He wants to leave while fans remember him for what he was, a beast. And he wants to avoid accumulating long term damage that’s not needed.

If he still feels that way, how’s the time to leave. Dana white will always say “one more” because DC is a huge draw
Yep, like Khabib and Javier said: Cormier is too competitive to retire. I hope that hyper-competitiveness doesn't cost him what remains of his health.

I wouldn't mind seeing DC comeback for a rubber match with Stipe, but win or lose that would be the last fight I'd want to see him in.

Unless.......<JonesLaugh>

After the fight we just witnessed on Saturday night I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a rubber match between DC and Stipe, even though I think Big Frank is deserving of a title shot. One more fight ain't gonna kill DC, his arms and legs ain't gonna fall off if he don't retire RIGHT NOW.

Dana has said many times before, if a guy is thinking about retirement then he should retire. That is one thing that I agree with the pink goof even though the dollar signs are making him change his tune. Was he ever really Dana's friend?

Yep, like Khabib and Javier said: Cormier is too competitive to retire. I hope that hyper-competitiveness doesn't cost him what remains of his health.
Especially at HW a few fights too many can fuck you up for life.

Rematches are not his strong suit, quite clearly

Cormier is a multi-millionaire with a great job in broadcasting and he enjoys coaching.

He has belts at home, money in the bank, great family and team... why take more head trauma in your 40's?

Back