Fighters that make a good hammer but a bad nail

sdpdude9

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who are some fighters you can think of that do very well when they’re the one in control of a fight but crumble when the fight goes against them? Fighters that can give it but can’t take it. Here’s my first two examples.

Anthony Pettis. Guy has had some fantastic performances in the cages and some pretty awesome finishes. But when somebody gets in his face, backs him, and beats him up he seems willing to give up. Take his most recent fight, he appeared ready to quit when Diaz had him hurt but Diaz let off the gas. Then the Ferguson fight, he quit between rounds because he said he broke his hand after a wild round, which I believe it was later said he didn’t. He didn’t even seem upset to give up, just seemed happy with what he had done already and was done.

Conor McGregor. When he’s controlling a fight, he looks untouchable. As we’ve seen a couple times now, when the tide seems to go against him, he seems all too willing to give up his neck. Diaz was first, after Diaz started taking the fight to him, Conor shot a bad shot, quickly gave up his back and didn’t even attempt to defend the choke. Against Khabib, he was getting dominated early on, had some success in the third and when he got taken down again in the fourth, you could tell he was done. Once again gave up his back and didn’t attempt to defend any submission attempts.

Any other examples?

Ngannou

Dudes as dangerous as they come for an entire round, but folds like a lawn chair when you get him to the second.

Anthony Johnson. The ultimate HAMMER. The lowest quality chinese imported Nail..

his nickname was CRUMBLE for a reason.

Conor, Lesnar, and Overeem are the first three to immediately come to mind.

BJ wasn't much of a "comeback" type of fighter, either. I say wasn't because it's hard to consider present day BJ a fighter.

Overeem, he's the best example of a glass cannon.

Conor, when he was the hammer (e.g eddie fight) he looked like a world beater but when he was the nail (e.g khabib or nate) he didn’t look elite at all

Melvon manhoof, Jimmy manuwa, Melvin gillard, Uriah hall, Anthony Johnston, Cody Garbrant, James vick, Jds

Last edited:
I’m confused. Is a good nail someone who can take a beating and keep fighting?

I’m confused. Is a good nail someone who can take a beating and keep fighting?

You basically.....nailed it. Basically somebody who doesn’t quit or give up when the fight gets rough.

Bader that's my guy, but man if you're going to beat him you're pretty much guaranteed to murder him.

Rampage like Rumble he just seems to quit if he can't bully you.

Melvon manhoof, Jimmy manuwa, Melvin gillard, Uriah hall, Sage northcutt, Anthony Johnston, Cody Garbrant, James vick

A couple of good ones here that I hadn't thought of, especially Manhoef. Melvin G. wasn't so much bad at taking a beating as much as he was bad at defending subs.

Overeem is basically the very definition of a glass cannon.

Bob Sapp is another good one. Quits immediately when it doesn’t go his way.

Back