Nates stance switching to avoid the kicks...

chrisdiaz

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is one thing I havent seen a lot of attention to by the media. He was continuously switching stance and lifting his leg, better than Ive ever seen. We all know he likes to brawl but it was nice to see him make an adjustment for once.

Yea it was great to see. I don’t think anyone was too surprised that Pettis eventually wilted. What was a surprise, to me at least, was that he wasn’t able to blast ND repeatedly before doing so. Great job from Nate.

This is one thing I havent seen a lot of attention to by the media. He was continuously switching stance and lifting his leg, better than Ive ever seen. We all know he likes to brawl but it was nice to see him make an adjustment for once.

Yeah he did (switch his stance continuously), i totally forgot about that.. i'm a 100% certain that we're going to see this a lot more in the future. I mean, being ambidextrous in terms of stance is obviously an advantage, so i think it's only a matter of time until this is going to be standard for pretty much every fighter.

The checked leg kick solidified the outcome. Suddenly Pettis' best weapon - and Nate's biggest hole - was gone.

Pettis stayed game though, he's a baller.

Nate was landing some really nice kicks of his own too. I think it confused Pettis

This quote from diaz is why I love him...Everyone says hes delusional with the belt talk but if you talk to any fighter they'll tell you it takes a bit of delusion to tell yourself your the best all the time. Bisping was talking about this on his podcast.

“I’m just the best fighter in this whole game and they’re giving belts to other people and making people work for belts,” a fired-up Diaz said. “But I’m the champ and as far as I’m concerned, [Masvidal] is too.

”I’m motivated to fight the best fighters judged on what I think and what real martial artists think, and who we think are the best.

“The champs right now, they’re just good at loopholes to winning, not technical martial artists. I think Jorge Masvidal, besides me, is the best in the game at it, and I thought Pettis was also.

“That’s why I asked for that fight, and I knew it was a dangerous fight. And that’s why I went in there with kill or be killed attitude because I knew that’s what I was risking fighting him or Masvidal.”

Props, I saw it happening live, and you're the first person to post a thread about it.
Fucking jealous...I live in LA and could have gone...went to vegas instead and bet on the whole card. 239 was epic live.

That teep at the start of the fight was nice too. Of all the things I thought I'd say to a buddy while drunk, watching UFC fights "Kit Cope trained, boiii!!!" was never one of them lmao

Pettis is known to rely heavily on leg kicks. A Duke Roufus staple as well since his brother lost hard to them eons ago.<{1-8}>

I watched one highlight which didn't really stance switching... but did show Nate's active footwork &/or leg checks.

MMA competitors are so vulnerable to leg kicks, including the karate types because they get stationary in their stances, on top of poorly balanced stances. Can't say this about Nate.<13>

Just needs to resharpen his hands now. Man his boxing looked kind of labored in there. Fortunately for him he was wise enough to close the distance.

Back