All 3 judges scored 29-28 for Costa

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
I am trying to understand relation of these statistics and the scoring , can anyone explain ?
I guess combination of better statistics in body strikes and advancing , with worse head strikes stats , equals to winning a fight with 29-28 ? How is that calculated ? Where are takedown stats ?
EIhWLxg.png

Maybe advancing is what won him the fight. Romero was backing up a lot.

I scored it for Yoel.
I can understand the scoring for Costa. I’m not crying robbery. The Unanimous Decision was pretty bad though.

Not all head strikes the same. Only one guy did the chicken dance in that fight and it wasn't Costa.

Plus, more efficient strikes overall

At least half of Yoel's head strikes were jabs. While they do count obviously, they are not as significant as the heavy hooks that Costa was landing on Yoel's body and head.

Also, the KD that Yoel got on Costa in the 1st round kinda looked like Paulo ate a shot but slipped and fell over, whereas Yoel actually got dropped.

Costa bullied him that's why, other than facial damage nothing in that fight looked like a Romero win.

IIRC, Yoel landed slightly more strikes than Costa, but Costa had better advancement/control and more powerful shots on average. In two rounds anyway, which is what drove the 29-28 win.

I had it 29-28 Costa as well in real-time. IIRC, I was under the impression that Costa's combination of strike volume and average strike magnitude was somewhat better than Yoel's, who seemed to land more minimal shots.

I personally had Romero winning rounds 2 and 3 but I could see why some would score it for Costa. 2 more rounds would have been interesting.

By now everyone should know 2 things:

Ufc mma isn't treated as a real dignified and fair sport

And

Ufc judging and officiating is a racket

It's a case of judges actually scoring "significant strikes" properly. Interestingly, they seem to forget how to do that during a "certain" fighter's championship matches though.

Most of Romero strikes were in the third round, the only round Romero won, so those statistics don't explain why he lost.

Sadly, mma is judged round by round.

I scored it for Yoel.
I can understand the scoring for Costa. I’m not crying robbery. The Unanimous Decision was pretty bad though.
If it's defensible to score it for Costa, then why is it bad that the decision was unanimous?

Costa won the first 7 mins.
Yoel won the last 8.

Easier to call than others

And still

Stats can be deceiving.

Costa landed better shots throughout the fight on both body and head. Yoel did a lot of damage as well but he was always on the back foot trying to break free but Costa's pressure was too much for him.

He could not get Costa to stop coming forward.

The decision was the right one imo. Costa took it to Yoel and gave him all he can handle. He desered the win more imo.

people don't know how to identify rolling with a punch vs eating it

Half of costa's "significant strikes" were glancing off .

I don't see how people thought Yoel should have won the fight. Costa pushed the pace for 90% of the fight.
I was rooting for Yoel too, but cmon, he had a few good moments to get even and threw them away showboating (?)

Its based on the ability to throw a high kick without falling on his ass.
Yoel always lose that game

hard to find a fair criteria.
number of strikes mean jack. Colby, for instance, probably had more strikes then Costa and Romero combined, but cause zero damage.
then they came with significant strikes. Well, who can say whether it was significant or not? Successive body shots can not be as flashy as superman punches or spinning kicks, but can definitely end a fight or at least put your opponent in a bad spot.
walking forward? yeah its important, but up to what point?
take downs? should these alone get you points?

At least half of Yoel's head strikes were jabs. While they do count obviously, they are not as significant as the heavy hooks that Costa was landing on Yoel's body and head.

Also, the KD that Yoel got on Costa in the 1st round kinda looked like Paulo ate a shot but slipped and fell over, whereas Yoel actually got dropped.
While I do agree that Yoel landed a lot of jabs and Costa did land heavier hooks (outside of the 3rd round), I think the jabs were pretty stiff a lot of the time and people have been underestimating Yoel's ability to roll with shots; a lot of Costa's shots didn't seem to be landing all that flush (the head shots at least; those body shots were solid). However, a lot of times the judges don't see it and it just looks like he's getting beaten up to them so I 100% get them favoring Costa. And even with all that said, it still doesn't mean Yoel definitively won. It was a close round IMO.

I mostly agree about the knockdowns though. Fight Metric called it a knockdown and they're always super strict about what they do and don't consider a legit knockdown, but I definitely got the sense that Romero was actually rocked and his legs went out for a sec, whereas Costa was just a bit stunned momentarily.

Back