Why some people think the key to beat Khabib is survive 3 rounds of grappling?

Iron Skin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Survive being dominated in the ground for 3 rounds and beat him standing in the 4th or 5th round?

How does this work? How does one deal with:

- Fatigue
- Lack of power because of the lactic acid build-up
- Damage from ground and pound
- More takedown atempts
- Khabib's chin

Who could beat Khabib this way?

I've never heard anyone say you need to get grapplefucked by Khabib for 3 rounds to beat him.

What people mean is that Khabib has a tendency to slow down in the 4th and 5th round, and certain fighters could potentially take him to those rounds and exploit that.
But making a gameplan around "surviving" 3-rounds will surely not lead to victory in any case. Offense is the best defense still.

I've never heard anyone say you need to get grapplefucked by Khabib for 3 rounds to beat him.
Irish Edmund’s gameplan was something like that, which is hilarious when his fighter is at his best in the first two rounds and tires easily.

Just put Tony or even Max in front of Khabib and there you go.

Survive being dominated in the ground for 3 rounds and beat him standing in the 4th or 5th round?

- Fatigue
- More takedown atempts
- Khabib's chin

Because in the last two rounds of the Al fight. Khabib's TDs got sloppier and his chain wrestling disappeared.

Porier has a chance in the beginning of the fight and the later rounds. Dustin is a legit bjj black belt, so we'll see how his bottom game goes. Dustin also has really good late round cardio if he doesn't blow his wad for a finish early in the fight.

Just put Tony or even Max in front of Khabib and there you go.
Holloway ? He has literal pillowfists at 155, no real BJJ threat off his back..
He would be ragdolled and likely subbed in the later rounds.

Because in both 5 round fights he's had, he slowed down a lot in the 3rd. If those guys would've turned the heat up and done some damage, they could've completely changed the course of the fight.

It's not about surviving 3 rounds of grappling, it's that Khabib seems to need a breather after 2 rounds. If somebody is able to exploit that, they could do some damage that he might not be able to recover from.

That's why as bad of a matchup as Khabib seems to be for a guy like Diaz(based on past fights), he might be the guy to give him problems because of his gas tank. Tony and Max could as well. They all have great cardio and can maintain a grueling pace for 5 rounds.

Because in both 5 round fights he's had, he slowed down a lot in the 3rd. If those guys would've turned the heat up and done some damage, they could've completely changed the course of the fight.

It's not about surviving 3 rounds of grappling, it's that Khabib seems to need a breather after 2 rounds. If somebody is able to exploit that, they could do some damage that he might not be able to recover from.

That's why as bad of a matchup as Khabib seems to be for a guy like Diaz(based on past fights), he might be the guy to give him problems because of his gas tank. Tony and Max could as well. They all have great cardio and can maintain a grueling pace for 5 rounds.
He slowed in third and turned it up back again afterwards. Watch round 5 of iaquinta.

He slowed in third and turned it up back again afterwards. Watch round 5 of iaquinta.

I know. That was my point. Imagine if someone had the gas tank to really turn it up when he takes his mid fight break. They could potentially do damage to the point of no return. What if they just light him up and hurt him badly? What if they go hard to the body and completely take his second wind away? Against the right competition, that mid fight break is gonna get him into trouble.

- Fatigue
- More takedown atempts
- Khabib's chin

apart from GSP, this gameplan is destined to fail with 100% of the roster imo.
Tony could survive the onslaught on the ground with his heart,cardio and durability, but 1 or 2 rounds of Khabib on top could render him harmless on the feet (cf. the Danny Castillo fight).
Tony is a wild dude tho...

Strangely, i still think McRapist had the best gameplan.
Not to win, but not to lose too badly.
Still got smashed.

Khabib in need of a break after 2 rounds is a bit of a stretch, he grappled for 3 rounds straight in a lot of fights like against RDA, Barboza and Michael Johnson.

I know. That was my point. Imagine if someone had the gas tank to really turn it up when he takes his mid fight break. They could potentially do damage to the point of no return. What if they just light him up and hurt him badly? What if they go hard to the body and completely take his second wind away? Against the right competition, that mid fight break is gonna get him into trouble.
what hes doing isnt flat footed point striking mid cage. hes pushing in a pace that will take a toll on him AND his opponent. he has faith that whenever hes in a cardio battle his opponent will always be more tired than him.

Tony might be compromised to do anything by the time khabib takes his break.

it's not like he's out there gassed in these so called "mid round breaks". He's still had more output than his opponents. If they want to get more aggressive it'll just be easier to take them down. Unless they just blatenly cheat like Conor did to avoid the takedowns.

Last edited:
He slowed and outstruck Al in the 4th. Makes sense, if you don't think about it.

Last edited:
To take Khabib into the later rounds and 'turn it up' when he slows also presumes that he will have accomplished little in the earlier rounds that would impact his opponent's ability to do so...and even that he will have expended considerably more energy than his opponent so that his opponent does not similarly slow down. It is obviously a very tough path.

I still think Khabib's overall game is too good to make that the game plan. If it works out that way, great...but counting on it seems like bad idea. IMHO, a fighter would be better off going hard from the start, pressuring Khabib, and trying to hurt him early (easier said than done, of course).

He slows down, yet he still got the TD on Conor, and mauled him in the ground into the rear naked finish.

And he comfortably outstruck Al on the feet.

Back