Why did it take Stipe so long to attack the jelly belly?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The entire fight im screaming at the screen to go to the body. As a boxer, watching DC walk forward with his arms up and straight out was unreal to me.

We credit Stipe with good boxing... so why did it take so long to see the opening?

Maybe one reason is to land that shot you have to be close, almost clinch range.

Stipe may have been waiting for DC to gas a bit, so the takedown/clinch striking threat was lessened. Although DC was gassed after 4 minutes lol.

The evolution of heavyweight MMA, folks. Elite fighters with no gas tank and no striking defense.

The entire fight im screaming at the screen to go to the body. As a boxer, watching DC walk forward with his arms up and straight out was unreal to me.

We credit Stipe with good boxing... so why did it take so long to see the opening?
DC is much shorter. You don’t wanna start boxing someone at their height level, especially if they’re shorter than you.

Strategy...

DC is faster than Stipe in the early rounds.

He probably waited until he saw DC was visibly tired.

Then adjusted and started wearing him down with those body shots.

He watched Joe Rogan mentioning fat guys carry "padding" with their fat.
P34xJKD.gif

I don't know but DC has an Achilles stomach.

The body is nearly always open for punches but 90% guys would rather head hunt

Didn't Cormier have his hands down and people were telling him to keep his hands up? I thought that's why stipe didn't go for body early on.

DC lost an edge.

This wouldn't fly w DC, 5 years ago.

Miocic is in his prime though.

Because DC is faster than him and punching to the body leaves your head wide open. The opening wasn't really there until DC started to gas. He could've done it earlier but it might've gotten him countered and ko'd.

It is strange that we've all known since the Silva fight that he is weak to the body shots but very few people attack him there.

That face he pulls every time he gets hit to the gut, the grimace.

Because DC is 1'5 shorter so Stipe had to warm his back a little before going so down without fear of lumbago

as much as that fight was good and Stipe was impressive in the final round...I was so frustrated why he wasn't using his reach advantage. He could've utilized the jab more and kept DC at bay without getting a lot of damage.

Because DC is faster than him and punching to the body leaves your head wide open. The opening wasn't really there until DC started to gas. He could've done it earlier but it might've gotten him countered and ko'd.

Stipes head was already wide open the entire fight though.

DC hit him with power shots almost at will, with ease.

Stipes head was already wide open the entire fight though.

DC hit him with power shots almost at will, with ease.

Stipe was also keeping his punches short and trying not to over commit. Those body shots he was throwing were full commitment punches. Those were kill shots. He wouldn't have gotten away with that earlier because he would've gotten countered. He even said he went for the body when he saw DC starting to slow down.

Back