Romero's corner

slicebergjim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We all know Romero is a beast of a fighter with a high fight IQ and a lot of different skills. However, he also likes to point fight. He's lost 3 of his last 4 fights, where 2 of them including Saturday were a pretty close decision. That showboating shit he did in the third round made no sense to me, as I and many others had Costa 2-0 up. I was actually yelling at the tv screen when he backed off after pressuring Costa against the cage.

So what the fuck does his corner say to him during rounds? It's pretty hard for a figher to accurately determine whether he won the round if it's a very close fight, but that's where his corner should come in. Did they not realise they were losing? I can't understand or speak Spanish but does anyone know what his corner said in between rounds, especially between the 2nd and 3rd?

And if you're the cornerman, shouldn't you scream to attack instead of backing up in the third when you're having such a close fight?

Last edited:
We all know Romero is a beast of a fighter with a high fight IQ and a lot of different skills. However, he also likes to point fight. He's lost 3 of his last 4 fights, where 2 of them including Saturday were a pretty close decision. That showboating shit he did in the third round made no sense to me, as I and many others had Costa 2-0 up. I was actually telling at the tv screen when he backed off after pressuring Costa against the cage.

So what the fuck does his corner say to him during rounds? It's pretty hard for a figher to accurately determine whether he won the round if it's a very close fight, but that's where his corner should come in. Did they not realise they were losing? I can't understand or speak Spanish but does anyone know what his corner said in between rounds, especially between the 2nd and 3rd?

And if you're the cornerman, shouldn't you scream to attack instead of backing up in the third when you're having such a close fight?
Costa was about getting lit up against the cage completely gassed and battered and Yoel just backs off and tells him to get back to the center of the cage. LOL.

Since most people think he was robbed, they probably thought he was winning

i remember the words of his cornerman before the third round, i was surprised as fuck because he told Romero was winning the striking battle but he should shoot for takedowns..

Romero doesnt seem to listen to his corner. I vividly remember them telling him that Whitaker's knee was Injured in their first fight. Romero then proceeded to ignore it for the next 4 rounds.

We all know Romero is a beast of a fighter with a high fight IQ

He constantly sacrifices rounds because he gambles that he'll get the finish later, and when he doesn't get it the decision ends-up being a coin toss. That strategy showed its limits twice in a row and could have gone either way against Jacare too.

Yoel is done. He's in that Andy Silva/Lawler limbo where he's still a tough fight for anyone but doesn't have the hunger anymore to go for a win.

Tremendous athlete, had awesome fights and will put up a few fun ones more, if he sticks around, but champ run is over.

Back